Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 215

Thread: 2 abortion providers charged with murder in Md.

  1. #141
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: 2 abortion providers charged with murder in Md.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Really. So how people address you doesn't give you any insight into their perspective or their willingness to have respectful discussion?
    Honestly: I don't take the terms personally like I've been stabbed in the back by words. . . I'll respond to anything - as is obvious by my stupidity in engaging Tigger al lthe time. If someone is obviously not up for discussion I'll eventually ignore them.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 01-02-12 at 12:04 AM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #142
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 2 abortion providers charged with murder in Md.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Honestly: I don't take the terms personally like I've been stabbed in the back by words. . . I'll respond to anything - as is obvious by my stupidity in engaging Tigger al lthe time. If someone is obviously not up for discussion I'll eventually ignore them.
    Yeah, I'm not talking about taking words personally as I've already said. I'm talking about using language to discern people's perspective and willingness to participate in discussion. As in - people use language to communicate and it makes zero sense to me that someone would not understand that word choice often gives insight into someone's perspective.

  3. #143
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: 2 abortion providers charged with murder in Md.

    I know that the back and forth over the semantics of the last couple of pages is riveting to say the least, but back to topic, one of the fetuses they found is 36 weeks. That is 8.5 months, or less than one month from term. Many children living today have been delivered long before that gestational age, and if the mother had come to harm that ended up killing that baby at terms far younger the criminal that did so would be charged in a court. There is precedent for this.

    To those who would want to argue that 'they' don't think this, or that is of no relevance. The law is clear.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #144
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: 2 abortion providers charged with murder in Md.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Actually life can generally be said to start at conception, because that is when a new being begins. It doesn't really make sense for it to begin any other time. The argument is generally over personhood or when that life form is a person.
    I think that human life is eternal. The human soul has always existed, and will exist after the body dies. Life on Earth begins when the soul enters the body. Just when that happens is unknown, of course, but it doesn't seem plausible that it happens when the zygote is just a microscopic few cells. Logically it happens when the brain begins to function.

    Maybe it doesn't even happen until birth, or even later, when the individual develops self awareness.

    But, I have no way of knowing whether that is true or not, and neither does anyone else.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #145
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,770

    Re: 2 abortion providers charged with murder in Md.

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Not entirely accurate. The "pro-life" position is that they get to tell others what to do. They are the anti-personal freedom people. The pro-choice position is that other people should butt out of other people's lives as a matter of individual freedom.

    Pro-lifers are control freaks upon personal ideology they want imposed on everyone. Pro-choicers are personal liberty people.
    Pro-lifers want the unborn to have the same liberties as everyone else. Pro-choicers want liberty to be more limited.

    Name calling doesn't strengthen your argument.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  6. #146
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,770

    Re: 2 abortion providers charged with murder in Md.

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    The right to decide for yourself is the definition of freedom. Without it, there is no freedom, only dictates from others.
    We should be free to do whatever we want, except take away the freedom of others, as in abortion.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  7. #147
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: 2 abortion providers charged with murder in Md.

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    Pro-lifers want the unborn to have the same liberties as everyone else. Pro-choicers want liberty to be more limited.

    Name calling doesn't strengthen your argument.
    Pro lifers tend to want to impose their values on the rest of society by force of law.

    Not all of them do, of course, but that does seem to be a theme: I think abortion is wrong, and you'd better share my values or I'll do my best to impose them on you.

    It's not so much pro life as it is anti choice, which is anti freedom.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #148
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: 2 abortion providers charged with murder in Md.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Pro lifers tend to want to impose their values on the rest of society by force of law.

    Not all of them do, of course, but that does seem to be a theme: I think abortion is wrong, and you'd better share my values or I'll do my best to impose them on you.

    It's not so much pro life as it is anti choice, which is anti freedom.
    Liberals tend to want to impose their values on the rest of society by force of law.

    In the 1960s you yourself might have said, "I think abortion should be legal, and you'd better share my values or I'll concoct a BS test case and take it to the Supreme Court and impose it on you."

  9. #149
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: 2 abortion providers charged with murder in Md.

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    Liberals tend to want to impose their values on the rest of society by force of law.

    In the 1960s you yourself might have said, "I think abortion should be legal, and you'd better share my values or I'll concoct a BS test case and take it to the Supreme Court and impose it on you."
    But, in the 1960s, I didn't do that.

    and making something legal does not imply coercion to do that thing. It just makes it legal, i.e., gives the individual the choice.

    I'm kind of big on individual choice, whether or not I consider the choices made to be wise ones or not.

    In fact, I hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

    That is the purpose of government, not to impose my values on someone else, and not for someone else to impose their values on me.

    Just as long as the choices others make don't impinge on my liberty, I'm good with it. Does that make me a liberal?

    Were the original writers of the above liberals too?

    If so, I'm proud to be a liberal.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #150
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: 2 abortion providers charged with murder in Md.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    But, in the 1960s, I didn't do that.

    and making something legal does not imply coercion to do that thing. It just makes it legal, i.e., gives the individual the choice.

    I'm kind of big on individual choice, whether or not I consider the choices made to be wise ones or not.

    In fact, I hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

    That is the purpose of government, not to impose my values on someone else, and not for someone else to impose their values on me.

    Just as long as the choices others make don't impinge on my liberty, I'm good with it. Does that make me a liberal?

    Were the original writers of the above liberals too?

    If so, I'm proud to be a liberal.
    They were classical liberals. And they valued life.

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •