Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 188

Thread: Strait of Hormuz standoff: Iran films US aircraft carrier

  1. #61
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,294

    Re: Strait of Hormuz standoff: Iran films US aircraft carrier

    This is all a result of media generated hysteria promoted by US intelligence, warmongers, corporations, and politicians to demonize Iranians just like they demonized Saddam, Saddam and Iraq were no threat to the USA and neither is MudBob and Iran. Now wars do make money and if wars make you money, then you have to use every opportunity to gin up war, wherever you can find it. Wars are very profitable. Wait a minute, that's sounding like business. Even, business as usual. Screw that liberty and justice crap, let's profit handsomely from more war. That's how I sees it.

  2. #62
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Strait of Hormuz standoff: Iran films US aircraft carrier

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yeah, let's stay out of it. Gas can go up to $10 a gallon, in the middle of a depression. There will be worldwide food shortages. Economic collapse.

    Staying out of it will be awesome!
    Globally oil is in decline. We are beyond Peak Oil, though no government wants to make that official. That's why Texas is booming in oil production right now. It is why oil companies are drilling incredibly deep wells off shore. It's why there is the big push for oil sand production. Oil is becoming scarce. Easy and relatively inexpensive oil is gone for the most part.

    Like it or not we are closer to not having affordable oil than we ever have been and that fact is not going to change save for a few market ups and downs and an occasional new - and smaller and/or expensive to produce field - from time to time. Add to that the fact that China and India as emerging world economies are going to be consuming the hell out of oil, in greater quantities than the U.S. Much greater consumption, decreasing supplies. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know that at the present rate big lifestyle changes are ahead for the world and especially for the U.S.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  3. #63
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Strait of Hormuz standoff: Iran films US aircraft carrier

    Being a former Navy vet having sailed throughout the waters in the Persian Gulf region - from Mediterranean Sea, the Suez Canel X2, the Adriatic Sea, the Straits of Hormez into the Persian Gulf X2 - I can tell you that the U.S. has had Navy warships in the region for decades ranging from an aircraft carrier battle group to smaller naval contingencies. All Iran is doing right now is postering, flexing their muscles so-to-speak. They've been itching for a fight with the U.S. for over 30 years. It's not surprising to see them do things just to egg us on.

    Let Iran conduct their naval exercises. As long as they don't do anything stupid like fire upon one of our warships, there's really nothing to worry about. But if they do, we'd just unleash every cruise and/or Tomahawk missle we have on their butts and really turn Iran into a desert wasteland. But if all they do is institute a naval blockade of the Strait, I would hope that the President and all other U.N. member nations would join together to do whatever it took to stop the blockade including authorizing the use of military force. In other words, as long as we're not attacked I see no reason why the U.S. should take on Iran's threat of a blockade - assuming, of course, they carry through with the threat - by ourselves. It's international waters; the international community has a stack in this, too, probably moreso than we do since we import less OPEC oil now than we did 10 years ago.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 12-30-11 at 05:16 PM.

  4. #64
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Strait of Hormuz standoff: Iran films US aircraft carrier

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    1) Yes, that would be an act of war.

    2) Yes, not only would we be justified, we would have to do it. Hormuz is too critical to not just us, but the world.

    By the way, filming an aircraft carrier, especially in that area is not hard to do.

    Agreed


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: Strait of Hormuz standoff: Iran films US aircraft carrier

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Globally oil is in decline. We are beyond Peak Oil, though no government wants to make that official. That's why Texas is booming in oil production right now. It is why oil companies are drilling incredibly deep wells off shore. It's why there is the big push for oil sand production. Oil is becoming scarce. Easy and relatively inexpensive oil is gone for the most part.

    Like it or not we are closer to not having affordable oil than we ever have been and that fact is not going to change save for a few market ups and downs and an occasional new - and smaller and/or expensive to produce field - from time to time. Add to that the fact that China and India as emerging world economies are going to be consuming the hell out of oil, in greater quantities than the U.S. Much greater consumption, decreasing supplies. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know that at the present rate big lifestyle changes are ahead for the world and especially for the U.S.
    That's not entirely accurate...

    Yes, MIDDLE EASTERN oil is past the peak, now that we've used up the middle eastern oil reserves, now the destabilization efforts can begin.

    What most people don't realize is that there are at least 5 locations in north america with SO MUCH OIL (of a slightly lesser quality than the light sweet crude) that the US could LITERALLY replace Saudi Arabian supplies many times over and have that supply remain viable for CENTURIES!!!

    That said, you are right that the US is going to be a third world nation fairly soon if things continue to spiral out of control as they've been doing... and then it really will become the "chinese century" that has been discussed by global think tanks for decades now.

  6. #66
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Strait of Hormuz standoff: Iran films US aircraft carrier

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    That's not entirely accurate...

    Yes, MIDDLE EASTERN oil is past the peak, now that we've used up the middle eastern oil reserves, now the destabilization efforts can begin.

    What most people don't realize is that there are at least 5 locations in north america with SO MUCH OIL (of a slightly lesser quality than the light sweet crude) that the US could LITERALLY replace Saudi Arabian supplies many times over and have that supply remain viable for CENTURIES!!!
    Apparently the U.S. Energy Information Administration isn't aware of that, either. Perhaps you should drop them a line and tell them about these vast untapped reserves.

  7. #67
    User Bettina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Last Seen
    08-01-12 @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    56

    Re: Strait of Hormuz standoff: Iran films US aircraft carrier

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    This is all a result of media generated hysteria promoted by US intelligence, warmongers, corporations, and politicians to demonize Iranians just like they demonized Saddam
    With all due respect, the current president of Iran - Mahmoud Ahmadinejad - is the real demon here. His direct threats and hatred toward the state of Israel is well documented and should be taken at it's face value.

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    .... But if they do, we'd just unleash every cruise and/or Tomahawk missle we have on their butts and really turn Iran into a desert wasteland.
    I hope we don't go that far. I remember reading about the Carter Doctrine in school where we would keep the strait open at all costs and I think it still applies here. But in the case of Iran I would just meet force with force but not escalate to a point of full out war. Sinking an Iranian ship, or ships, that is attempting to block the free flow of shipping in international waters would be appropriate and legal according to international law....although a few of my friends think like you.

    Bee

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: Strait of Hormuz standoff: Iran films US aircraft carrier

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Apparently the U.S. Energy Information Administration isn't aware of that, either. Perhaps you should drop them a line and tell them about these vast untapped reserves.
    Just because YOU are not being spoon fed the information does not mean that those involved in this production are not aware.

    These places are either tapped and waiting, or in the process of being tapped for when the middle east oil supply gets cut off in this upcoming war with Iran.

    The catch is that most of these BIG oil reserves are at this point called "nature conservatories" of sorts.

  9. #69
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Strait of Hormuz standoff: Iran films US aircraft carrier

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Would it be just the US being called on, or do you see a more global response?


    j-mac
    It would be nice if others assisted since most nations share major interests in the free passage of shipping through the Strait. However, the U.S. is in the best position to act quickly and decisively and given its vital interests at stake could do so on its own.

  10. #70
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Strait of Hormuz standoff: Iran films US aircraft carrier

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    That's the plan, yes.
    Are you a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff? You have no clue about what any plan is.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •