Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 361

Thread: L.A. might sue Occupy L.A. protestors for financial damages

  1. #81
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: L.A. might sue Occupy L.A. protestors for financial damages

    This reminds me of some of the first hacking trials back in the 80s -- indignant corporations, humiliated that their security was breached so easily, dramatically inflated the cost of the hack as reported to the government and the press. They did it, in part, by tacking on as many man-hours from as many internal professionals as they could get away with, claiming that that was how many people it took to clean up after the hacker in question -- even if no actual damage had been done.

    The city government made certain decisions on how to handle the Occupy protesters, and it incurred expenses as a direct result of those decisions. A decision to sue would be akin to buyer's remorse, and the people of LA shouldn't tolerate it -- they should instead hold their government responsible for the choices that led to this situation.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: L.A. might sue Occupy L.A. protestors for financial damages

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    You say that they cost money. I say that our freedoms do not come without a price.
    The "price" is to obtain a permit where required, pay fees where indicated, post bonds where mandated. All of this is dependent not on whether or not you want to protest, but is triggered by varying combinations of where, when, and with how many.

    Another mini-example. You do have a right of assembly. But you do not have a right to violate occupancy codes.
    Last edited by Eighty Deuce; 12-26-11 at 01:43 PM.

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: L.A. might sue Occupy L.A. protestors for financial damages

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    This reminds me of some of the first hacking trials back in the 80s -- indignant corporations, humiliated that their security was breached so easily, dramatically inflated the cost of the hack as reported to the government and the press. They did it, in part, by tacking on as many man-hours from as many internal professionals as they could get away with, claiming that that was how many people it took to clean up after the hacker in question -- even if no actual damage had been done.

    The city government made certain decisions on how to handle the Occupy protesters, and it incurred expenses as a direct result of those decisions. A decision to sue would be akin to buyer's remorse, and the people of LA shouldn't tolerate it -- they should instead hold their government responsible for the choices that led to this situation.
    Where the Occutards violated statutes, they are responsible. Whether they can be made to pay is a different matter. That does not excuse politicians from facing backlash.

  4. #84
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: L.A. might sue Occupy L.A. protestors for financial damages

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Where the Occutards violated statutes, they are responsible. Whether they can be made to pay is a different matter. That does not excuse politicians from facing backlash.
    Where the Occupy protesters violated the law, they would've been responsible had the government opted to enforce the law. While I'm sure the government still has some ability to punish the protesters, morally they've lost the high ground because they totally failed in their responsibilities.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: L.A. might sue Occupy L.A. protestors for financial damages

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    The "price" is to obtain a permit where required, pay fees where indicated, post bonds where mandated. All of this is dependent not on whether or not you want to protest, but is triggered by varying combinations of where, when, and with how many.

    Another mini-example. You do have a right of assembly. But you do not have a right to violate occupancy codes.
    Which is the same arguements those who wish to curtail the right to own guns use. Can I assume you agree with them also? I have never seen a court house lawn with an occupancy code.

    I also can only assume that based upon the use of a smiley that you do not take our rights as a serious thing.

  6. #86
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: L.A. might sue Occupy L.A. protestors for financial damages

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Ignore away.

    I can't when I am accosted going about my day by people that believe their right to protest, trumps my right to go about my day. This is why I think that common laws like 'unlawful assembly' were enacted.

    Common law was a basis for our laws but irrelevant and I've noted, many do try and create modern statutes to curtail our rights all the time. We should not sit back and accept them.
    Who decides which laws we should follow, and which are irrelevant?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #87
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: L.A. might sue Occupy L.A. protestors for financial damages

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Ummm...

    Exactly who would they send the bill to?
    I think that is a valid question. I say good luck getting any money for any damages.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: L.A. might sue Occupy L.A. protestors for financial damages

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Which is the same arguements those who wish to curtail the right to own guns use. Can I assume you agree with them also? I have never seen a court house lawn with an occupancy code.

    I also can only assume that based upon the use of a smiley that you do not take our rights as a serious thing.
    1) Why do you try to extend this argument into some notion about how I feel about the 2nd Amendment ? Do not assume for me

    2) The Occutards were not creating issues with occupancy on courthouse lawns.

    3) There you go assuming again ..... about me.

    So, as I assume nothing, tell me if you served, for how long, and who with. Thanks.

    Otherwise, how about something other than the ad-hominems.

  9. #89
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: L.A. might sue Occupy L.A. protestors for financial damages

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Who decides which laws we should follow, and which are irrelevant?

    j-mac
    This is actually done daily. Officers have the flexibility to exercise judgment.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #90
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: L.A. might sue Occupy L.A. protestors for financial damages

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Which is the same arguements those who wish to curtail the right to own guns use. Can I assume you agree with them also? I have never seen a court house lawn with an occupancy code.

    I also can only assume that based upon the use of a smiley that you do not take our rights as a serious thing.
    the gun rights vs. protest rights is a flawed narrative IMHO. I don't see many gun protests that involve obstructing peoples day at the point of guns, do you?

    When assembly turns into mob, riot, and destruction of property that are there at tax payer expense, and for their use, one group doesn't have the right to exclude those others that don't agree with them.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •