Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 361

Thread: L.A. might sue Occupy L.A. protestors for financial damages

  1. #121
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: L.A. might sue Occupy L.A. protestors for financial damages

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I already know it's not going to happen. The occutards are obviously content with ****ing over the taxpayers. No surprise.
    So why whine? I know you don't like their stance, but they are hardly the first to protest or the first to leave a mess. I sympathize with anyone who actually had damage. But, it is helpful to recognize the limits of letigation. You will have to have someone capable of paying.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #122
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: L.A. might sue Occupy L.A. protestors for financial damages

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    "Peaceful" does not make something legal.
    But a peaceful protest is legal according to the US Constitution.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #123
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:08 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,622

    Re: L.A. might sue Occupy L.A. protestors for financial damages

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    No, they're sueing people because they trashed out public property and stuck the taxpayers with the tab.
    Not at all unlike the bill the taxpayers pick up in city after city when professional sports teams win and there are parades and celebrations which cost the city money.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #124
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: L.A. might sue Occupy L.A. protestors for financial damages

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    No, they're sueing people because they trashed out public property and stuck the taxpayers with the tab.
    So when you have massive worldwide protests which are protected under the Constitution and the police come over and evict you via force (when you are not ready to leave) you get stuck with the tab... Gotcha.


  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: L.A. might sue Occupy L.A. protestors for financial damages

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No. But as they say, you can't squeeze blood from a stone.
    We kind of agree on this point, and I believe I have alluded to a similar conclusion. You do have to identify a responsible party before you can try to collect damages. And then, once identified, there has to be a reasonable expectation that the effort needed to collect is essentiallly worth it. For instance, idfentifiying obe person who may have kicked up a divet is not going to return much in terms of a recovery.

    But this gets us to the other point about permits, etc. With many organized rallies, where permits are granted, municipalities also require an insurance bond be posted, exactly to cover such costs. And if you have a rally, and it requires a certain permit, and you don't have it, then you are all subject to arrest and fine. Which also pays the bills

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: L.A. might sue Occupy L.A. protestors for financial damages

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    But a peaceful protest is legal according to the US Constitution.
    No its not. I can't peacefully protest at 2 AM in a city park. I can't peacefully have me and 100 of my friends peacefully protest in your front yard. I can't peacefully have 200 folks out pissing on trees while they protest in a city park. I could go on, but do you get it yet ?

  7. #127
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: L.A. might sue Occupy L.A. protestors for financial damages

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    We kind of agree on this point, and I believe I have alluded to a similar conclusion. You do have to identify a responsible party before you can try to collect damages. And then, once identified, there has to be a reasonable expectation that the effort needed to collect is essentiallly worth it. For instance, idfentifiying obe person who may have kicked up a divet is not going to return much in terms of a recovery.

    But this gets us to the other point about permits, etc. With many organized rallies, where permits are granted, municipalities also require an insurance bond be posted, exactly to cover such costs. And if you have a rally, and it requires a certain permit, and you don't have it, then you are all subject to arrest and fine. Which also pays the bills
    As noted above, there are protests and gatherings without permit, and no one is even suggested be arrested. The sports team example is valid. Somethings just can't be permit driven.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: L.A. might sue Occupy L.A. protestors for financial damages

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Not at all unlike the bill the taxpayers pick up in city after city when professional sports teams win and there are parades and celebrations which cost the city money.
    All done with city approval. And in may cases with a part of the tab picked up by the team.

  9. #129
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: L.A. might sue Occupy L.A. protestors for financial damages

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    No its not.
    Yes it is
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

    I can't peacefully protest at 2 AM in a city park.
    Yes you can


  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: L.A. might sue Occupy L.A. protestors for financial damages

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    As noted above, there are protests and gatherings without permit, and no one is even suggested be arrested. The sports team example is valid. Somethings just can't be permit driven.
    You truly need to learn about these things. Show me a Tea Party rally where they camped out overnight, much less days and weeks ? SHow me a Tea Party rally that did not get a permit ? Show me a parade by a sports team that was not conducted with a permit ?

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •