Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 258

Thread: Parents Angry After School Put Autistic Son in Bag

  1. #201
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Parents Angry After School Put Autistic Son in Bag

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    That is an interesting dynamic and one I'm unaware of. I guess the pendulum of public/parental opinion swings. I'd want them experiencing as much of the mainstream of society as possible, since they will be part of it (unless of course they are utterly without the ability to do so). The world can be cruel and insulating them then expecting them to function in it without preparation, is more cruel.
    Agree, but how to get there is the question. Autistic kids won't necessarily learn that from experience. They may need intensive instruction on how to socialize before they actually do it. And they still get this instruction in public school, just not in the main classroom.

    The truth is that "mainstreaming" can be alot of different things, from giving the kids all the same experiences that a regular kid gets in a classroom to sending them to a regular school, but then having them pulled out for special ed classes. Whatever works best for each kid.
    Last edited by misterman; 12-26-11 at 09:21 PM.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  2. #202
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,112

    Re: Parents Angry After School Put Autistic Son in Bag

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Oh, I do - still, I have alot more than that. For instance, I have a few people who would be dead bodies, but instead are good friends of my kids due to my patience and ability to impart knowledge and understanding. That's a better outcome for everyone.
    hmmm... patience. I will have to work on that I guess. I always found that whenever there is a problem it is easiest just to eliminate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  3. #203
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Parents Angry After School Put Autistic Son in Bag

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ic-son-in-bag/



    My oldest son is mildly autistic - when he was younger we had a lot of issues with the school he attended. As he grew older some of his issues sort of faded - he learned about to be in more control of his self, etc. . . making it easier to teach him and he distrupted the class less.
    All the best with making his life as full as possible!

    Schools are failing miserably to keep up with the growing number of students who have issues.
    There are indeed an increasing amount of children with special needs, especially the increasing and alarming rate of autism.

    So to meet those needs, you would, of course, be in Favor of Increased Taxes for everyone (Local, State, and/or Federal) to pay for said increased needs.
    Or .... would you take the position more consistent with your previous ones... that YOU personally should have to pay for your own child's problem (that say <1% of children have) and bear such costs yourself. Why do schools/other-taxpayers owe you esoteric 'special' treatment?

    always interesting to see how 'rugged' individualists/libertarians etc, feel when it's their entitlement on the line.
    Last edited by mbig; 12-27-11 at 12:09 AM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  4. #204
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,962

    Re: Parents Angry After School Put Autistic Son in Bag

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Agree, but how to get there is the question. Autistic kids won't necessarily learn that from experience. They may need intensive instruction on how to socialize before they actually do it. And they still get this instruction in public school, just not in the main classroom.

    The truth is that "mainstreaming" can be alot of different things, from giving the kids all the same experiences that a regular kid gets in a classroom to sending them to a regular school, but then having them pulled out for special ed classes. Whatever works best for each kid.
    I completely agree with you, it has to be based on the needs of each child. There was an autistic boy at my kids' high school. I think he took the odd elective class with the rest of the kids, took core classes at his level, but I know for sure he attended a class in social preparedness, with others of course who needed the same help. I was at a presentation his teacher gave to request funds for various outside trips he on which he wanted to take his class.

    I thought the concept was brilliant, to put them in situations and teach them how to cope. The class wasn't only for autistic kids, but anyone who had need for that kind of teaching.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  5. #205
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Parents Angry After School Put Autistic Son in Bag

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    hmmm... patience. I will have to work on that I guess. I always found that whenever there is a problem it is easiest just to eliminate it.
    Easiest solution, perhaps, but not always the best solution.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  6. #206
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Parents Angry After School Put Autistic Son in Bag

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    I completely agree with you, it has to be based on the needs of each child. There was an autistic boy at my kids' high school. I think he took the odd elective class with the rest of the kids, took core classes at his level, but I know for sure he attended a class in social preparedness, with others of course who needed the same help. I was at a presentation his teacher gave to request funds for various outside trips he on which he wanted to take his class.

    I thought the concept was brilliant, to put them in situations and teach them how to cope. The class wasn't only for autistic kids, but anyone who had need for that kind of teaching.
    Right, which is why they have Individualized Education Programs.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  7. #207
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,705

    Re: Parents Angry After School Put Autistic Son in Bag

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    Why do schools/other-taxpayers owe you esoteric 'special' treatment?
    It's the law.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  8. #208
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,112

    Re: Parents Angry After School Put Autistic Son in Bag

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Easiest solution, perhaps, but not always the best solution.
    Actually patience is my thing... I find it is the easiest 97% of the time if not more if for no other reason than to not let others understand or know what you might do or plan. Patience is working well and burying my ex wife and partner in the Court process right now and it is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #209
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Parents Angry After School Put Autistic Son in Bag

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Well garbage bags are out because of the chance of suffocation, as is beating.

    However, if my perceptions were such that being placed in a bag were comforting, than it would be ok. What is good and bad in these situations is entirely based on preference and perception
    it's a little like a crate can be comforting to a dog, and swaddling a baby can help calm him.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  10. #210
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Parents Angry After School Put Autistic Son in Bag

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    It's the law.
    Duh.
    I was asking Aunt what Her Opinion was on the situation.
    SHOULD all people pay taxes, indeed even MORE taxes, for the needs of a very Few, or as so many ''rugged' individualists/libertarians'' etc. say about Many similar welfare/govt sponsored services... Should they be the responsibility of the family itself, or perhaps charity.

    I was asking Her opinion/making a political point, not asking about the law, which incidentally, wasn't a Meaningful 'the law' until 1975 and the 'Civil Rights' and 'Great Society' period 'laws';
    Background & Analysis | Federal Education Budget Project
    A law, like many of the period, that some might object to.
    An 'according to need' law, that if you favor, especially if you to extend further and more lavishly, puts some political pressure on you in other areas if one is to be politically consistent.
    Some, ie, object to Social Security and/or it's disability provisions, no one questions if the act exists.
    Which is why, I suppose, I haven't been answered despite the OP visiting several times.
    Last edited by mbig; 12-27-11 at 03:47 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •