Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 139

Thread: Sopa

  1. #61
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: Sopa

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The arguments of people who steal the content of others through illegal download boil down to:

    1. I don't wanna pay for stuff.

    2. You can't make me pay for stuff I want to steal.

    3. I should be allowed to steal stuff.

    ------------

    I've blasted away pretty much every supporter of illegal piracy on this forum that I've ever encountered and their arguments, when they realize are bull****, then go into the absurd. I once had some moron claim that because artists today hadn't invented "sound"/"the English language" they shouldn't get the exclusive right to own that which they produce.
    The ramifications for illegal piracy do not concern me.

    The ramifications for legitimate websites do.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Sopa

    Wikipedia is going to be blacked out globally tomorrow to protest SOPA and PIPA.

    You should contact your representative if you can to voice your protest about these draconian measures.

    Censorship of this magnitude is not acceptable in a free democracy, and people should not stand for this crap.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,041

    Re: Sopa

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Actually they, like Disney, took the folklore and added their own spin to it.
    So yes, they did take it from the Brothers Grim among other story writers and added their own spin to it.
    Nonsense. The brothers Grim are by no means the first people to write the stories down. They simply put them in a book. So to claim that Disney took from the brothers Grim is a stretch of the imagination if not a complete fabrication. Do you know what folklore is? Here is a fine example on Cinderella:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinderella

    Published in:
    The Pentamerone (1634)
    Mother Goose Tales (1697)
    Grimm's Fairy Tales (1812)

    ---------------

    So Cinderella was published nearly 200 years before it appeared on the Grimm's works. Is it an original work by them? No. Was the script made by Disney based on the Grimm's work? No way to find out. Did Disney read out the Grimm's work and try to pass it as an original? No. So with what authority do you get to claim that Disney's work is some rip-off from the Grimm's? Oh I know: None. You're simply talking nonsense and trying to make a specious argument that leads to nowhere.

    None the less, Disney does own the rights to the modified versions of the stories.
    They can use whatever they want from their stories because they're out of copy protection.
    No. Disney owns what they have produced ie their movies in all of its forms. They don't own the story of little red riding hood anymore than they own cinderella. It's why different versions of these movies exist by videos that aren't Disney. Your ignorance on the topic is showing. AGAIN.

    Why should they own lengthy copy protections for works they borrowed heavily from others to create?
    You haven't answered the question.
    I don't have to answer uninformed questions by people who clearly have no idea what it is they're discussing to begin with.

    It's totally a straw man, because I have not advocated such a position.
    I didn't say you did. I said it was the logical progression of your ridiculously flawed argument.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 01-17-12 at 03:29 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #64
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Sopa

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Nonsense. The brothers Grim are by no means the first people to write the stories down. They simply put them in a book. So to claim that Disney took from the brothers Grim is a stretch of the imagination if not a complete fabrication. Do you know what folklore is? Here is a fine example on Cinderella:

    Cinderella - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Published in:
    The Pentamerone (1634)
    Mother Goose Tales (1697)
    Grimm's Fairy Tales (1812)

    ---------------

    So Cinderella was published nearly 200 years before it appeared on the Grimm's works. Is it an original work by them? No. Was the script made by Disney based on the Grimm's work? No way to find out. Did Disney read out the Grimm's work and try to pass it as an original? No. So with what authority do you get to claim that Disney's work is some rip-off from the Grimm's? Oh I know: None. You're simply talking nonsense and trying to make a specious argument that leads to nowhere.
    I'm quite aware of what folklore is.
    With that said, The Brothers Grimm likely adapted the folklore stories for their works, like Disney did for themselves.

    Now Disney feels entitled to an IP ownership of a story that was already in existence, hundreds of years before Walt was farted out of his mother.
    The facts always come back to, the story was not original and that there is no justifiable reason why they should be entitled to a multiple decades of ownership.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    No. Disney owns what they have produced ie their movies in all of its forms. They don't own the story of little red riding hood anymore than they own cinderella. It's why different versions of these movies exist by videos that aren't Disney. Your ignorance on the topic is showing. AGAIN.
    Which were adaptations of work that already existed.
    Now there is nothing wrong with that..

    What is wrong, is the automatic entitlement to multi decade IP.

    Why shouldn't someone else be allowed to improve upon Disney's Ciderella or whatever?


    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I don't have to answer uninformed questions by people who clearly have no idea what it is they're discussing to begin with.
    Cop out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I didn't say you did. I said it was the logical progression of your ridiculously flawed argument.
    No it's not.
    Your example was physical property, we're talking about intellectual property.
    And you have the nerve to call me ignorant.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Sopa

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Fine a simple example.
    Disney practically took a **** ton of their stories from the Brothers Grim.
    They added their own twist, but largely the material is not original.

    Why should they be able to retain a lengthy IP when they didn't create the original story?
    What is it? 70 years? I think the Grimm brothers were past that.

  6. #66
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Sopa

    Anyone post up that Wiki is going dark tonight in protest of SOPA?

    As Wikipedia and other websites go dark Wednesday in what backers are calling the largest Internet protest ever, the epic battle between Silicon Valley and Hollywood over online anti-piracy legislation continues to heat up, even as many Web surfers scratch their heads over what it all means.

    The fight is over the Stop Online Piracy Act, a bill now stalled in the U.S. House of Representatives that's aimed at stopping the spread of pirated copies of movies and other content by "rogue'' websites overseas. Heavyweight supporters of SOPA like Time Warner and the Motion Picture Association of America are butting up against tech titans like Wikipedia, Google (GOOG) and Facebook, who argue the legislation could lead to widespread censorship.
    Wikipedia and other websites shut down to protest online piracy bill - San Jose Mercury News

    Here's the link to Wiki -- appears at the top of every page one pulls up on their site:

    Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #67
    Professor
    Amigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-13 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,945

    Re: Sopa

    Obama will sign SOPA if it goes through congress, but I don't think the House will vote for it, as conservatives wouldn't let happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT on Nov 8th, 2012 View Post
    Over the next four years the economy will continue to rebound and we will gradually get deficits under control. The real esate market will rebound, unemployment will fall to 6.5% or below, and GDP growth will stand at 3.5 - 4%. We won't be in any wars. And conservatives will still be whining.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: Sopa

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo View Post
    Obama will sign SOPA if it goes through congress, but I don't think the House will vote for it, as conservatives wouldn't let happen.
    Obama announced that he wouldn't sign it as it was. SOPA was written by a conservative Republican Representative from Texas. You got just about everything wrong.
    Last edited by RadicalModerate; 01-18-12 at 09:35 AM.

  9. #69
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,010

    Re: Sopa

    I need someone that knows alot about greek.

    Dude was saying that SOPA is greek alphabet... (or something like that. Not sure If I got it all the way.)

    Well, SOPA= shut up. Or Shh, don't talk. And PIPA was commen slang for suck pipe or suck dick.

    Anyone knowledgable in this area and can explain this or just let me know if its bull****?

    σώπα / πιπα
    Last edited by dirtpoorchris; 01-18-12 at 09:49 AM.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  10. #70
    Advisor Krystov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mount Juliet, TN
    Last Seen
    07-25-14 @ 02:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    453

    Re: Sopa

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    I've seen no legitimate arguement outside of being pissed that you might not be able to as freely D/L the property of others.
    Really? So I suppose you think it's okay that we, the United States, the land of the free, are to be subjected to the same sort of censorship on the internet that China has to endure? Or what about the fact that maybe you can't go and find certain videos you used to love on youtube? How about the fact that the Attorney General will have one more resource to look into your life and see what you're up to? I don't care if you're a model citizen, privacy is one thing people should be entitled to. With nearly everything going to the internet, you can kiss that goodbye.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war..." -Plato

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR
    ...play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •