Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 217

Thread: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

  1. #191
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,714

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Sure, he could have taken it up in his first two years. But he chose to take on HCR first. I'm sure he would have done it differently in hindsight. But in fact Republicans did control both houses when it was taken up, and Clinton did have a detailed plan. In the end Clinton got most of what he wanted. Republicans obtained less generous benefits than Clinton wanted and removed support for legal immigrants.
    So...by your own admission...he DIDNT take it on and in fact the GOP DID and he accepted a plan which he said he didnt approve of. Which is...hmmm...precisely what I said.

  2. #192
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    This is a gross distortion of the lay-of-the-land at the time. When Clinton took office in 1992, he also had a Democrat plurality in both Houses, to include 57 Senators and a 258-176-1 edge in the House. It was into the highly favorable environment that you claim he could not get his welfare reform passed "2 years prior".
    Yes, because unlike the GOP, the Dems do not always vote the same. There's an old saying that applies - Democrats have to fall in love; Republicans have to fall in line
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #193
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    So...by your own admission...he DIDNT take it on and in fact the GOP DID and he accepted a plan which he said he didnt approve of. Which is...hmmm...precisely what I said.
    Um, no, I said that he didn't take it on before the midterm elections -- not that he didn't take it on at all. And he accepted a plan that was mostly, but not entirely, to his liking, which is not the same thing as saying that he didn't approve of it.

  4. #194
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    The Wikipedia article on this is pretty informative:
    A central pledge of President Clinton’s campaign was to reform the welfare system, adding changes such as work requirements for recipients. However, by 1994, the Clinton Administration appeared to be more concerned with universal health care and no details or a plan had emerged on welfare reform. Gingrich accused the President of stalling on welfare, and proclaimed that Congress could pass a welfare reform bill in as little as ninety days. Gingrich insisted that the Republican Party would continue to apply political pressure to the President to approve welfare legislation.[10]

    In 1996, after constructing two welfare reform bills that were vetoed by President Clinton[11], Gingrich and his supporters pushed for the passage of the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (PRWORA), a bill aimed at substantially reconstructing the welfare system. Introduced by Rep. E. Clay Shaw, Jr., the act gave state governments more autonomy over welfare delivery, while also reducing the federal government's responsibilities. It instituted the Temporary Assistance to Needy Families program, which placed time limits on welfare assistance and replaced the longstanding Aid to Families with Dependent Children program. Other changes to the welfare system included stricter conditions for food stamps eligibility, reductions in immigrant welfare assistance, and recipient work requirements.[12]

    Gingrich and Clinton negotiated the legislation in private meetings. Previously, Clinton had quietly spoken with Senate Majority Whip Trent Lott for months about the bill, but a compromise on a more acceptable bill for the President could not be reached. Gingrich, on the other hand, gave accurate information about his party’s vote counts and persuaded more conservative members of the Republican Party to vote in favor of PRWORA.[11]

    President Clinton found the legislation more conservative than he would have preferred; however, having vetoed two earlier welfare proposals from the Republican-majority Congress, it was considered a political risk to veto a third bill during a campaign season with welfare reform as a central theme.[11] As he signed the bill on August 22, 1996, Clinton stated that the act "gives us a chance we haven't had before to break the cycle of dependency that has existed for millions and millions of our fellow citizens, exiling them from the world of work. It gives structure, meaning and dignity to most of our lives."[13]
    Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    So basically, the Republicans never quite gave Clinton a bill he wanted, so he decided to compromise more on the third try.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  5. #195
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Yes, because unlike the GOP, the Dems do not always vote the same. There's an old saying that applies - Democrats have to fall in love; Republicans have to fall in line

    Oh come on. To think that we didn't see Pelosi walking the halls with that over sized cartoon gavel, whipping the demo's into a singular voting block is laughable.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #196
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    The Wikipedia article on this is pretty informative:


    Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    So basically, the Republicans never quite gave Clinton a bill he wanted, so he decided to compromise more on the third try.

    Well, Wiki can be misleading, but yes, Clinton was forced to compromise to get this done. The striking thing though to me, is that usually in DC, to demo's "compromise" usually means that repubs have to adopt their view on matters, when this happened Clinton came to what Newt, and the people of this country wanted. Which is what sets him apart from the current occupant of that office.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #197
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    The striking thing though to me, is that usually in DC, to demo's "compromise" usually means that repubs have to adopt their view on matters,
    That's because you're partisan.

    Your comment is especially laughable since it follows an example of just the opposite.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  8. #198
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    That's because you're partisan.

    And you're not?!!! Your "undisclosed" moniker fools no one sir.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #199
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    And you're not?!!!
    Never said I wasn't.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  10. #200
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Never said I wasn't.
    Ok. Then something that has bugged me for some time now...And I know that it isn't on point of the thread, but if I could, Why not show what your lean is? Why hide behind the "undisclosed", or "other", or any designation that seems to be rather deceptive as to your ideology?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •