Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 217

Thread: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

  1. #181
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    He ran on it...but openly opposed the version passed by the GOP congress even though he signed it. He vowed to go back and 'fix' it...never happened. He was in many ways a populist. Not unlike the presence and support of the Kyoto Protocol...which he never so much as submitted for passage.

    Saying you are for something...running on something is far different from doing it.
    He didn't run on passing the GOP version of welfare reform.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #182
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    The original comment that the "current mess" wasn't started until 2007 was not limited to the housing bubble.

    But you're right. Barney Frank and friends had been protecting Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac from more oversight for many years.
    I didn't know that bush* was a friend of Barney Franks'

    USATODAY.com - Bush seeks to increase minority homeownership
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #183
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac certainly got their money's worth from him. As Chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, he was well positioned to block all reforms.
    Good thing bush* was there to stop him

    USATODAY.com - Bush seeks to increase minority homeownership
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #184
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715
    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    So now you're complaining that he signed a Republican welfare reform bill, after running on welfare reform?

    Give it up.
    Sigh...
    No...I'm not complaining that he signed it...simply pointing out the fact that while he like republicans RAN on welfare reform, he didn't propose welfare reform for congress to consider (something you kinda have to do if you are...you know...RUNNING on it) and instead allowed a GOP congress to mandate what welfare looked like. Clinton opposed what the GOP passed...said it was too restrictive and vowed to go back later and fix it...which he never did.

    The process WORKED. Congress debated and passed legislation. The president signed said legislation. Kudos all around. It is appropriate for all sides to claim credit for it. It is inappropriate and incorrect to say Clinton reformed welfare.

  5. #185
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Sigh...
    No...I'm not complaining that he signed it...simply pointing out the fact that while he like republicans RAN on welfare reform, he didn't propose welfare reform for congress to consider (something you kinda have to do if you are...you know...RUNNING on it) and instead allowed a GOP congress to mandate what welfare looked like. Clinton opposed what the GOP passed...said it was too restrictive and vowed to go back later and fix it...which he never did.

    The process WORKED. Congress debated and passed legislation. The president signed said legislation. Kudos all around. It is appropriate for all sides to claim credit for it. It is inappropriate and incorrect to say Clinton reformed welfare.
    Again, you have a real problem with facts. In fact Clinton produced a welfare reform proposal two years before it finally passed. Obviously he couldn't introduce his own proposal, since Republicans controlled Congress. He vetoed GOP proposals twice before he got a bill that he considered to be a reasonable compromise. No, he didn't support it 100%; that's what compromise means. You get some of what you want and they get some of what they want. That's how things get done in Washington.

  6. #186
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac certainly got their money's worth from him. As Chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, he was well positioned to block all reforms.
    Wait..you mean Mike Oxley and Jim Leach right? Both Republicans. Barney Frank only took over in 2007....pretty much right before the collapse.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  7. #187
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Again, you have a real problem with facts. In fact Clinton produced a welfare reform proposal two years before it finally passed. Obviously he couldn't introduce his own proposal, since Republicans controlled Congress. He vetoed GOP proposals twice before he got a bill that he considered to be a reasonable compromise. No, he didn't support it 100%; that's what compromise means. You get some of what you want and they get some of what they want. That's how things get done in Washington.
    or used to, back when they were getting things done.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #188
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Come back on your 15th birthday and maybe we can have a big boy discussion.
    When you have something worthwhile to discuss, I will show up with facts and figures worthy of any discussion

    When someone claims that a singular Democratic congressman, one congressman out of more then 400 has the ability direct government policy against the will of a republican controlled congress, a republican controlled senate and a republican president, I respond with the same level of idiocy as a means to show how stupid such ideas are.

    Did/Does Barney Frank have/had influence, most definately, but not enough to overpower what was in fact a republican controlled government. Republicans had to go along with any policy Barney Frank may have had or desired to have put in place.
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Again, you have a real problem with facts. In fact Clinton produced a welfare reform proposal two years before it finally passed. Obviously he couldn't introduce his own proposal, since Republicans controlled Congress. He vetoed GOP proposals twice before he got a bill that he considered to be a reasonable compromise. No, he didn't support it 100%; that's what compromise means. You get some of what you want and they get some of what they want. That's how things get done in Washington.
    This is a gross distortion of the lay-of-the-land at the time. When Clinton took office in 1992, he also had a Democrat plurality in both Houses, to include 57 Senators and a 258-176-1 edge in the House. It was into the highly favorable environment that you claim he could not get his welfare reform passed "2 years prior".

    It was the Republican takeover in 1995 the got it done. It was not so much Clinton sending it back as it was the GOP shoving it down his throat.

  10. #190
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    This is a gross distortion of the lay-of-the-land at the time. When Clinton took office in 1992, he also had a Democrat plurality in both Houses, to include 57 Senators and a 258-176-1 edge in the House. It was into the highly favorable environment that you claim he could not get his welfare reform passed "2 years prior".

    It was the Republican takeover in 1995 the got it done. It was not so much Clinton sending it back as it was the GOP shoving it down his throat.
    Sure, he could have taken it up in his first two years. But he chose to take on HCR first. I'm sure he would have done it differently in hindsight. But in fact Republicans did control both houses when it was taken up, and Clinton did have a detailed plan. In the end Clinton got most of what he wanted. Republicans obtained less generous benefits than Clinton wanted and removed support for legal immigrants.

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •