Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 217

Thread: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

  1. #151
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    So no president can be praised for much of anything that's accomplished by the government? I'm sure you're also including Reagan in your viewpoint, yes? Would you take the same stance with Obama?

    If your point is to only make it known that the government isn't a dictatorship, I agree. No president can act alone without the government as a whole working together. I'm not disputing that at all.
    Absolutely my point. Reagan didnt pass legislation...congress did. Reagan signed it. Bush...Clinton...Bush...and Obama. Are they responsible for their policy initaitves? Absolutely. However you have to be beyond a mindless myopic partisan hack to believe that Bill Clinton set out to reform welfare and balance the budget. He simply had the good sense to put up a public impression of being opposed to said legislation, then signed it, and takes credit for it.

    Bush is responsible for the decision to go to Iraq. Congress is responsible for passing the War Powers act and for refusing to adequately fund the war. Bush is also responsible for signing the budgets and increased deficits. Congress is responsible for every budget legislation they have passed (and in recent years, they are responsible for FAILING to so much as pass a budget). Everyone shares the love/blame. Thats how the government is MANDATED to work.

  2. #152
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    The article is correct, YOU are wrong.

    Note what it says:

    It was during the Clinton Administration according to the article. It does NOT say that Clinton balanced the budget as you claim.
    Ahh, I see. Reagan didn't end the Cold War, it just ended during his administration. Obama didn't ruin the economy, it as just ruined during his administration. Clintion didn't balance the budget, it's was just balanced during his administration. Gotcha.

    So why all the hate for Obama? It's not like he's doing anything. Crap is just happening during his administration according to you. No reason to blame him right?

    BTW from the article itself...
    The Clinton years showed the effects of a large tax increase that Clinton pushed through in his first year, and that Republicans incorrectly claim is the "largest tax increase in history." It fell almost exclusively on upper-income taxpayers. Clinton’s fiscal 1994 budget also contained some spending restraints.
    Did you read the article at all?
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

  3. #153
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Absolutely my point. Reagan didnt pass legislation...congress did. Reagan signed it. Bush...Clinton...Bush...and Obama. Are they responsible for their policy initaitves? Absolutely. However you have to be beyond a mindless myopic partisan hack to believe that Bill Clinton set out to reform welfare and balance the budget. He simply had the good sense to put up a public impression of being opposed to said legislation, then signed it, and takes credit for it.

    Bush is responsible for the decision to go to Iraq. Congress is responsible for passing the War Powers act and for refusing to adequately fund the war. Bush is also responsible for signing the budgets and increased deficits. Congress is responsible for every budget legislation they have passed (and in recent years, they are responsible for FAILING to so much as pass a budget). Everyone shares the love/blame. Thats how the government is MANDATED to work.
    I cannot dispute the truth of the above. But, it is rather common for the president to accept the praise for the good and suffer the slings and arrow for the bad that occurs when in office.
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

  4. #154
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    I cannot dispute the truth of the above. But, it is rather common for the president to accept the praise for the good and suffer the slings and arrow for the bad that occurs when in office.
    No question. And they SHOULD...thats what they are elected to do...lead. Effective leaders work with congress...both parties...for the good of the country. Clinton was an effective leader. I dont know how he would have fared with the congress we have had for the last decade...

  5. #155
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    Ahh, I see. Reagan didn't end the Cold War, it just ended during his administration. Obama didn't ruin the economy, it as just ruined during his administration. Clintion didn't balance the budget, it's was just balanced during his administration. Gotcha.

    So why all the hate for Obama? It's not like he's doing anything. Crap is just happening during his administration according to you. No reason to blame him right?

    BTW from the article itself...


    Did you read the article at all?
    Yes, I read it which is how I so easily proved you wrong.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  6. #156
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Absolutely my point. Reagan didnt pass legislation...congress did. Reagan signed it. Bush...Clinton...Bush...and Obama. Are they responsible for their policy initaitves? Absolutely. However you have to be beyond a mindless myopic partisan hack to believe that Bill Clinton set out to reform welfare and balance the budget. He simply had the good sense to put up a public impression of being opposed to said legislation, then signed it, and takes credit for it.

    Bush is responsible for the decision to go to Iraq. Congress is responsible for passing the War Powers act and for refusing to adequately fund the war. Bush is also responsible for signing the budgets and increased deficits. Congress is responsible for every budget legislation they have passed (and in recent years, they are responsible for FAILING to so much as pass a budget). Everyone shares the love/blame. Thats how the government is MANDATED to work.
    No offense, but how old are you? Apparently not old enough to remember Clinton specifically running on a platform of welfare reform!

  7. #157
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,884

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    No offense, but how old are you? Apparently not old enough to remember Clinton specifically running on a platform of welfare reform!
    Clinton Puzzle - How to Delay Welfare Reform Yet Seem to Pursue It - NYTimes.com

    And after a year in office, he still never offered a welfare reform plan, so just another example of candidate vs elected official.

  8. #158
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Clinton Puzzle - How to Delay Welfare Reform Yet Seem to Pursue It - NYTimes.com

    And after a year in office, he still never offered a welfare reform plan, so just another example of candidate vs elected official.
    You mean he never authored a bill and submitted it to Congress? I would hope not, given that that power is restricted to Congress. The point of the article was that Clinton wanted to take up Health Care reform *first* -- not that he didn't intend to take up welfare reform. As the article notes, "Mr. Clinton's pledge to impose strict work requirements on welfare recipients was one of his most popular campaign promises."

  9. #159
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,884

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    You mean he never authored a bill and submitted it to Congress? I would hope not, given that that power is restricted to Congress. The point of the article was that Clinton wanted to take up Health Care reform *first* -- not that he didn't intend to take up welfare reform. As the article notes, "Mr. Clinton's pledge to impose strict work requirements on welfare recipients was one of his most popular campaign promises."
    And the next sentence explains it all : "But after almost a year in office, he has still not spelled out the details or developed a plan."

    Obviously the legislature writes the bills( I've seen the after school special, thanks ), but the President pushes the agenda. And just like our current President, both pushed Health Insurance reform out of the gate with his majority in Congress rather than his campaign promises( "three letter word. j-o-b-s", yes, I know that was Biden, but the economy was the President's campaign ).

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: House Republicans Cave on Payroll Tax Cuts Extension

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    No offense, but how old are you? Apparently not old enough to remember Clinton specifically running on a platform of welfare reform!
    Doesn't matter what he "ran on". Fact is that with a Democrat House and Senate his first two years, he got nothing done. It wasn't until the GOP took over in Congress, and then late in 1995, when it got done. Clinton was pulled kicking and screaming to the table.

    Welfare Reform Timeline

    I am quite old enough to remember, btw

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •