Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43

Thread: Hackers post copsí personal data to avenge Occupy movement

  1. #11
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Hackers post copsí personal data to avenge Occupy movement

    About a year and a half ago in Arlington we had a situation in which an off-duty Houston cop shot and killed a young man who appeared to be going for a weapon. The boy had been caught in the act of doing something and refused to respond to the cop's requests. When the young man turned and stuck his hand in the front of his jeans the cop pulled his concealed weapon and shot.

    The cop was hispanic, the kid was black. When Arlington PD decided not to press charges based on the evidence available, a large group of New Black Panthers and others supporting their claims began to protest APD, calling them racist and saying that they would have pressed charges if a white boy had been killed.

    Over the next month or so, APD cops were harrassed daily. Protests were held at the city jail house and cops were threatened and assaulted trying to enter and leave the facility. The mayor and police chief thought that retaliation through the law (i.e. arresting and charging those who threatened or assaulted an officer) would only increase tensions, so they told their officers not to respond to the attacks. Despite the lack of action, tensions continued to rise. Officers were followed home from their assigned station houses, angry citizens showed up at the homes of officers making threats. Cops began to express concern about pulling over black drivers or confronting black citizens who were observed in the act of suspicious or illegal behavior. Cops began hiding their uniforms and dressing only at the station house. Some of them stopped staying in their own houses. It took almost a year for the tensions to subside.

    Now, perhaps if the police chief and mayor had allowed for the arrest of citizens making threats/causing injury, a lot of those issues could have been avoided. But the fact remains that cops who had nothing at all to do with a city DA decision based on a shooting that didn't involve city cops were put at risk, threatened, and made to feel unsafe in the process of doing their jobs (and even when off duty). There was absolutely no justification for the actions of those citizens, just as Anonymous has no justification for "outing" the private homes of police officers in OWS cities. The potential consequences are more important than some arbitrary vendetta against governmental invasion of privacy, IMO.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  2. #12
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Hackers post copsí personal data to avenge Occupy movement

    Cops are part of the government and valid target if you are going after the government. Particularly because they are the front line arm of the government in exercising its force over the People. Cops know this before they take the job.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #13
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Hackers post copsí personal data to avenge Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Cops are part of the government and valid target if you are going after the government. Particularly because they are the front line arm of the government in exercising its force over the People. Cops know this before they take the job.
    ...so it's completely okay with you to go after a police officer in their home, while they're off duty, because you disagree with how they've done their job? That's basically what you're saying here.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  4. #14
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Hackers post copsí personal data to avenge Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Cops are part of the government and valid target if you are going after the government. Particularly because they are the front line arm of the government in exercising its force over the People. Cops know this before they take the job.
    That maybe true, but if the cops have kids, those kids didn't sign up for that. Posting this stuff could put them at risk.
    Boston: City of Champions. New England Patriots: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, and 2016 Boston Red Sox: 2004, 2007 and 2013 Boston Celtics: 2008 Boston Bruins: 2011 Boston University Men's Hockey: 2008



  5. #15
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Hackers post copsí personal data to avenge Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    ...so it's completely okay with you to go after a police officer in their home, while they're off duty, because you disagree with how they've done their job? That's basically what you're saying here.
    Certainly would depend on the situation. In a general revolt, yes. In fact, you're most certainly going to want to do that near the beginning if you're really looking to revolt. Essentially, to figure if it's "OK" or not (by whatever metric I guess you want to label as "OK"), you have to look at the individual circumstances.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Hackers post copsí personal data to avenge Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    That maybe true, but if the cops have kids, those kids didn't sign up for that. Posting this stuff could put them at risk.
    If the cops are public authorities and we have access to their private info anyway, then the cops knew this when they signed up. So did politicians.

    Maybe it's their responsibility to get better home security, instead of more privacy for authority?

    What makes you think home invasions will happen? I would just send them a letter.

  7. #17
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Hackers post copsí personal data to avenge Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Certainly would depend on the situation. In a general revolt, yes. In fact, you're most certainly going to want to do that near the beginning if you're really looking to revolt. Essentially, to figure if it's "OK" or not (by whatever metric I guess you want to label as "OK"), you have to look at the individual circumstances.
    ....the events of OWS in no way justify putting the lives of officers and their families at risk in some form of "revolt". At this stage, a revolt is an idealistic, idiotic idea. Sometimes I really think you enjoy the crazy.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  8. #18
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Hackers post copsí personal data to avenge Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    That maybe true, but if the cops have kids, those kids didn't sign up for that. Posting this stuff could put them at risk.
    True, but in general if you're looking to target government, then government officials and buildings become valid. Timothy McVeigh got a bunch of kids because the government put a daycare in one of its government buildings. Was it good? Well actually that whole event wasn't good or defensibly; I'm not saying he was right here. Cops have kids, posting this could jeopardize them if people were actually taking the information for violent means; but that hasn't seemed to be the case yet, it's mostly limited to harassment.

    But how come there is so much outrage on this? Government itself does this to us all the time, and does use the information for violence and to violate our rights. People defend it. But if it's against the government, all of a sudden we should be outraged? Sorry, I am unsympathetic. Perhaps if the government treated us better, I would be more sympathetic to their plight; but they don't so I am not. They will reap what the sow, and this is just the start of that.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #19
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Hackers post copsí personal data to avenge Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Ah, the old question again..
    The cops aren't coming to my house and threatening me because I called Officer Joe a pig for harrassing me at 3am for "driving without a front plate". But posting the home addresses of cops online and linking them to OWS (whether they were their or not) gives free reign for the crazies (which obviously exist, based on this thread) to do just that...go to their houses and threaten them because of the actions of their "brethren".

    You can wax poetic about what the state does vs. what we do, but the intention here is to allow harm/harrassment to befall police officers, whether they did anything "wrong" or not.

    Having my private address on file is not the same as posting it publically online with a "this citizen done screwed up" tag, imploring people to come after me.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  10. #20
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Hackers post copsí personal data to avenge Occupy movement

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Having my private address on file is not the same as posting it publically online with a "this citizen done screwed up" tag, imploring people to come after me.
    That you know of. And if you're good enough and obey your master well enough, it likely will never become a visible problem to you. However, that's not true for everyone. Before the last RNC convention, the pre-arrested people they thought would be trouble makers. Just because you may not have seen negative repercussions does not mean that negative repercussions do not exist. They certainly do.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •