Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 144

Thread: Obama says Senate plan ‘only viable way’ to prevent tax hike

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,762

    Obama says Senate plan ‘only viable way’ to prevent tax hike

    WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama says a bipartisan compromise reached by the Senate is the “only viable way” to prevent a tax increase on Jan. 1.

    In a surprise appearance in the White House briefing room on Tuesday, the president said a “faction” of Republicans in the House is refusing to vote on a Senate bill that would extend a payroll tax cut for two months.

    And of course, although I disagree with Obama on a lot of things, sometimes strongly, I have to say that he is right on this one. After all, Speaker Boehner originally kicked this over to the Senate, demanding that Democrats compromise. Democrats in the Senate DID compromise to the extent that the unemployment tax bill passed the Senate with a LOT of Republican support. When it came back to the House, Boehner could not keep the extremists in his party in line, and the compromise failed. I can't fault Boehner for attempting to kick this back to the Senate, and demand more compromises again, even though GOP Senators managed to already extract compromises. Boehner is over a barrel, and his leadership is weak. In the end, almost all of the House Republicans revolted against the bipartisan Senate plan, which was endorsed by no less than Mitch McConnell himself.

    Now, instead of forcing Obama's hand, as they hoped to do, House Republicans have put themselves in the hot seat, because the failure here is certainly going to be a red meat issue for Obama and the Democratic party in 2012. When you only hold one House and not the Presidency, "my way or the highway" is not going to work. This was a serious miscalculation on the part of House Republicans, who will suffer consequences for their actions next year. This can still be avoided. Don't attempt to call Obama's bluff. Just go back into session and pass the damn thing. You will look like heroes if you do, and goats if you don't.

    Article is here.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama says Senate plan ‘only viable way’ to prevent tax hike

    The jaded side of me says that they made a really grim calculation. Allowing the payroll tax break to expire means $120 billion less in consumer spending (mostly) this coming year. That means something like 1 million jobs evaporate. It seems to me that they might be thinking "sure, people will be mad at us about this for a few weeks, but they'll forget all about it way before the election, but they won't forget about the unemployment rate and they'll blame Obama for that". I hope they aren't really that cynical about people's lives, but I gotta say, that's how it looks to me at the moment.

  3. #3
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-15-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    802

    Re: Obama says Senate plan ‘only viable way’ to prevent tax hike

    I'm sure they will try to blame Democrats, just like Democrats will blame Republicans. I am in agreement that the Democrats are going to be more successful in that argument given the way the vote went in the Senate. I think the problem is the more extreme conservatives really don't have political experience. They don't realize what they are doing. There's being tough and uncompromising, and then there's being suicidal (to your political career). You can only take things so far before you lose too many voters. A decrease in take-home pay for most Americans is going to be something they notice, they're going to notice it right away.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Obama says Senate plan ‘only viable way’ to prevent tax hike

    Is this the one he promised to veto? Who the hell really knows what position he holds?

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Obama says Senate plan ‘only viable way’ to prevent tax hike

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    The jaded side of me says that they made a really grim calculation. Allowing the payroll tax break to expire means $120 billion less in consumer spending (mostly) this coming year. That means something like 1 million jobs evaporate. It seems to me that they might be thinking "sure, people will be mad at us about this for a few weeks, but they'll forget all about it way before the election, but they won't forget about the unemployment rate and they'll blame Obama for that". I hope they aren't really that cynical about people's lives, but I gotta say, that's how it looks to me at the moment.
    120 billion less this year? Does that mean it's important for the economy to continue this for the year? 2 months wouldn't do it?

  6. #6
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama says Senate plan ‘only viable way’ to prevent tax hike

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Is this the one he promised to veto? Who the hell really knows what position he holds?
    Sort of. He promised to veto a bill that REQUIRED him to approve the XL pipeline, but the actual bill just requires him to issue his decision within 60 days, not which way he has to decide it. But, yeah, I think that is part of what happened here. The house Republicans thought they could safely agree to the tax break for the middle class as long as it had something on there about the pipeline because Obama would veto it and they wouldn't have to actually give the middle class a tax break. When it turned out that it would actually go into effect they had to backpedal or else it would actually happen.

  7. #7
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama says Senate plan ‘only viable way’ to prevent tax hike

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    120 billion less this year? Does that mean it's important for the economy to continue this for the year? 2 months wouldn't do it?
    Right. 2 months is the compromise to give them more time to work out a deal for the full year. The Democrats have been pushing for the full year from the start, but they couldn't get Republicans in the senate to agree to it in time to avoid the hike going into effect january 1st, so they bought more time to keep trying to find an agreement. The plan is to do it for the whole year, they just need to get enough Republicans on board. This gives them two months to do that.
    Last edited by teamosil; 12-20-11 at 10:26 PM.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Obama says Senate plan ‘only viable way’ to prevent tax hike

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Right. 2 months is the compromise to give them more time to work out a deal for the full year. The Democrats have been pushing for the full year from the start, but they couldn't get Republicans in the senate to agree to it in time to avoid the hike going into effect january 1st, so they bought more time to keep trying to find an agreement. The plan is to do it for the whole year, they just need to get enough Republicans on board. This gives them two months to do that.
    You work it out by putting a 1 in front of the 2.

  9. #9
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Obama says Senate plan ‘only viable way’ to prevent tax hike

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    You work it out by putting a 1 in front of the 2.
    Right, that's what the Democrats have proposed over and over. The Republicans won't agree to it.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Obama says Senate plan ‘only viable way’ to prevent tax hike

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Right, that's what the Democrats have proposed over and over. The Republicans won't agree to it.
    Boehner isn't a Republican? What a coup for the Dems eh? Agree with Boehner and tell him to send them the 12 months and see if the Senate Republicans will vote against it if that's the case.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •