Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: L.A. schools' healthful lunch menu panned by students

  1. #11
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: L.A. schools' healthful lunch menu panned by students

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    I looked it up, it's Mexican, with Hominy in it, whatever hominy is.
    Hominy is a bland large kernal corn that's used to make grits - it's fab in stew! An acquired taste.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #12
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: L.A. schools' healthful lunch menu panned by students

    We should provide fresh fruits and veggies with lean fresh meats, but that would cost money, and with people not wanting to even properly fund the education, that's not likely to happen.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  3. #13
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: L.A. schools' healthful lunch menu panned by students

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    We should provide fresh fruits and veggies with lean fresh meats, but that would cost money, and with people not wanting to even properly fund the education, that's not likely to happen.
    After seeing the eating habits of kids at school - I don't see why they bother giving the food at all if the child doesn't want it outright.

    When I was a child we were offered all of our items and only charged for what we took.
    We could not, however, get a dessert immediately until after we had shown that we ate (or cleverly gotten rid of) some of our healthy options from the plate.

    This immediately addresses two wasteful issues: kids are just given food they have no intention of eating at all - but yet we pay for out of pocket anyway. And that dessert will almost always be eaten first if it's put onto the same plate at the same time.

    What's the point of food-choices and healthy this/that if no one's around to MAKE the kids eat it?

    But when it comes to the choices my children DO have RE food: the salad cart - they don't have to get these items and when they do it's because they *like* to eat those items: My older sons likes certain fruits. Our daughter likes slices of cucumber.

    So there are two clashing issues: 1) providing healthy foods - and making them eat it if they don't like it 2) offering foods they do like so they will eat it.

    I think it's smart to give the sutends themselves a choice as far as dishes go - that meet certain healthy standards - and going from there.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #14
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,071

    Re: L.A. schools' healthful lunch menu panned by students

    It really shouldn't matter much what they eat. If they didn't go home and watch TV and play videogames every minute of every day in their spare time, their natural metabolism would burn it off anyway.

    Kids are so incredibly fat, rude, and socially inept these days. It's pathetic.

  5. #15
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: L.A. schools' healthful lunch menu panned by students

    I don't knowl, what is wrong with a roll, some chicken and green beans? How about a hamburger steak, roasted potatoes and a salad? How about a fruit tray? Let's not get too complicated here. There is nothing wrong with an occasional hamburger or even pizza. Keep the portions reasonable and nobody is going to get fat off it. We need to offer things that can be prepared in large quantities and efficiently. Just cut out the vending machines and daily offerings of fries, pizza and hamburger and things will be fine. If kids don't want to eat what's offered let them bring their lunch. We can't micromanage this and we can't afford a wide menu variety.

  6. #16
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: L.A. schools' healthful lunch menu panned by students

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    It really shouldn't matter much what they eat. If they didn't go home and watch TV and play videogames every minute of every day in their spare time, their natural metabolism would burn it off anyway.

    Kids are so incredibly fat, rude, and socially inept these days. It's pathetic.
    LOL - it doesn't matter what they eat? : Oh **** I can't stop laughing.

    "Here children: chips and dip all day - wash it down with a gallon of soda! Just make sure you dont' get too lazy!"

    We're not just talking about the potential to become OBESE here - we're talking about overall health which is VERY CLOSELY tied to what you eat.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #17
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: L.A. schools' healthful lunch menu panned by students

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    After seeing the eating habits of kids at school - I don't see why they bother giving the food at all if the child doesn't want it outright.

    When I was a child we were offered all of our items and only charged for what we took.
    We could not, however, get a dessert immediately until after we had shown that we ate (or cleverly gotten rid of) some of our healthy options from the plate.

    This immediately addresses two wasteful issues: kids are just given food they have no intention of eating at all - but yet we pay for out of pocket anyway. And that dessert will almost always be eaten first if it's put onto the same plate at the same time.

    What's the point of food-choices and healthy this/that if no one's around to MAKE the kids eat it?

    But when it comes to the choices my children DO have RE food: the salad cart - they don't have to get these items and when they do it's because they *like* to eat those items: My older sons likes certain fruits. Our daughter likes slices of cucumber.

    So there are two clashing issues: 1) providing healthy foods - and making them eat it if they don't like it 2) offering foods they do like so they will eat it.

    I think it's smart to give the sutends themselves a choice as far as dishes go - that meet certain healthy standards - and going from there.
    The problem with your first scenario is there just isn't enough time to do that. To go in line, get your food, eat it, and then go back in line for dessert just won't work, we had 35 minutes to eat at my school, and I graduated in 09, so I'm sure it's like that in a lot of schools right now. In my school we had 5 lines, all offering different stuff, and you get could a salad if you want. Most of the stuff was pretty unhealthy, it was actually pretty good, but it was the best for you, and we had pizza everyday. If you only offer healthy stuff, some kids wont eat it, but eventually it will get eaten, if you offer it to them it will get eaten. (Gosh that sounds like the Cafeteria of dreams there lol) A big problem is the ingredients, my moms a lunch lady, and most of the stuff comes pre-packaged and frozen. Healthy meals are good if the stuff is fresh, and the ingredients are good, that is the key IMO.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  8. #18
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: L.A. schools' healthful lunch menu panned by students

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    LOL - it doesn't matter what they eat? : Oh **** I can't stop laughing.

    "Here children: chips and dip all day - wash it down with a gallon of soda! Just make sure you dont' get too lazy!"

    We're not just talking about the potential to become OBESE here - we're talking about overall health which is VERY CLOSELY tied to what you eat.
    Just because your skinny doesn't mean your healthy.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  9. #19
    Educator Rosie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    951

    Re: L.A. schools' healthful lunch menu panned by students

    Lots of schools in our area contract out the lunches and what's brought in and heated up can certainly be cardboard. Most "healthy" foods cooked in school cafeterias can be real nasty. Tacos were pretty popular in our day. It's difficult to mess up lettuce and cheese too much. They do the best they can with the funding they have.
    "The measure off intelligence is the ability to change." Albert Einstein

  10. #20
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: L.A. schools' healthful lunch menu panned by students

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Just because your skinny doesn't mean your healthy.
    Absolutely - it's not an issue of body-weight here. . . but overall health.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •