Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 94

Thread: Writer Christopher Hitchens Dies

  1. #31
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Christopher Hitchens Dies dec 15 at age 62

    Quote Originally Posted by L0neW0lf View Post
    Christopher Hitchens: the White Man Teaches and Preaches

    I never really liked him because of his political views particularly on the ME, neatly put together in the article above, but even on atheism I don't understand why fellow atheists champion him at all, all he does is mock religions by quoting ridiculous passages from their holy books which is immature only because its so easy to do.
    He also began to view water boarding as torture after experiencing it himself, regularly lambasted the religious motivation of Zionist Jews and ditched the Republicans when Sarah Palin came into vogue. His views on religion arise from any political aspirations it may have (which is going to be based on the organised kind, with holy books and all), hence quoting scripture to undermine it. He also undermined the concept of the all-seeing dictator sans scripture.

    He was certainly more nuanced than the race-baiter you quoted here. Another person, by the tone of the whinge here apres-debate, was infamously hitch-slapped.
    Last edited by Ben K.; 12-16-11 at 05:53 PM.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,879

    Re: Christopher Hitchens Dies dec 15 at age 62

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    He also began to view water boarding as torture after experiencing it himself, regularly lambasted the religious motivation of Zionist Jews and ditched the Republicans when Sarah Palin came into vogue. His views on religion arise from any political aspirations it may have (which is going to be based on the organised kind, with holy books and all), hence quoting scripture to undermine it. He also undermined the concept of the all-seeing dictator sans scripture.

    He was certainly more nuanced than the race-baiter you quoted here. Another person, by the tone of the whinge here apres-debate, was infamously hitch-slapped.
    Indeed, look at his position on Bosnia. Prior to the invasion of Iraq (perhaps 9/11) his politics were exaggerated in the complete opposite direction, portraying him as a virulent anti-American.

    I always found his political positions rather disgusting, but it's quite clear that he was a much more complicated figure than most portray him. Also, despite this, I always had a morbid affection for him. While his focus on religion is misguided, I was always amused by his rants.
    Last edited by Khayembii Communique; 12-16-11 at 06:04 PM.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  3. #33
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,072

    Re: Christopher Hitchens Dies dec 15 at age 62

    Very disappointed. He was a great man. Its because of people like him and dawkins im an atheist
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  4. #34
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Writer Christopher Hitchens Dies

    Moderator's Warning:
    Writer Christopher Hitchens DiesThreads merged. Please remember to look before you create new threads. Thank you.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Christopher Hitchens Dies dec 15 at age 62

    Quote Originally Posted by L0neW0lf View Post
    Christopher Hitchens: the White Man Teaches and Preaches

    I never really liked him because of his political views particularly on the ME, neatly put together in the article above, but even on atheism I don't understand why fellow atheists champion him at all, all he does is mock religions by quoting ridiculous passages from their holy books which is immature only because its so easy to do.
    Yeah, I've been to several sites where everyone seems to think he was the most brilliant mind in the world, but I'm not that impressed. I don't get it.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,879

    Re: Christopher Hitchens Dies dec 15 at age 62

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Yeah, I've been to several sites where everyone seems to think he was the most brilliant mind in the world, but I'm not that impressed. I don't get it.
    In a world of idiots a normal person is a genius in comparison.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  7. #37
    Educator Dogger807's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    979

    Re: Christopher Hitchens Dies dec 15 at age 62

    A great writer and intellectual. Even when I disagree with his conclusions.... his points are valid and thought provoking. Between him and Jobs this year we have lost two truly irreplaceable people. While our mortality will some day claim us all, few do so much with their brief affair with existence.
    Ignorance is the refuge of faith
    It's become very apparent that there is nothing respectable about faith
    "If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people"

  8. #38
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,866

    Re: Christopher Hitchens Dies dec 15 at age 62

    From John Nolte of Newsbusters, an unexpected tribute about Hitchens as an authentic truth-teller:

    A Warm Memory: Chris Hitchens Flips Off Maher's Audience: 'None of You Is Smarter Than' George W. Bush | NewsBusters.org

  9. #39
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,634

    Re: Christopher Hitchens Dies dec 15 at age 62

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    The arc from Trotskyite to neocon was as spectacular as his work.

    "The four most over-rated things in life are champagne, lobster, anal sex and picnics."

    Who could argue with that? RIP
    Though he defied labels quite well. To label him neoconservative is to forget his well-known confrontations with those men and the label as well.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  10. #40
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Writer Christopher Hitchens Dies

    Truly fascinating man, One of the few great thinkers of our time.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •