Page 63 of 70 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast
Results 621 to 630 of 697

Thread: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

  1. #621
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Adding qualifiers? You didn't mention 'physical labor' in your original statement.


    j-mac
    Ohhh excuse me for leaving out the most common sense point from the term WORKING CLASS.


  2. #622
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Ohhh excuse me for leaving out the most common sense point from the term WORKING CLASS.
    wait..so only those who do physical labor are part of the working class?

    that confuses blue-collar work with working class, even though many white-collar workers make blue-collar wages.

  3. #623
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    So what exactly qualifies poverty or low-income in these stats? Also I like how every thread about the poor ends in people insulting one another all the time and the same exact people with the same exact insults and the same exact socialist bull**** pushed together with the same Atlas Shrugged bull****. It's a peanut butter & jelly situation.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  4. #624
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm not convinced. I think it is merely one of those easy answers some like to throw out because it hits a soft spot. But the fact is, that ship has mostly sailed, and asking people to be married for the sake of being married isn't too smart. It may be that we need two incomes, because if one could do it, you'd ahve noa rgument at all. So, perhaps it is not marriage, but combined incomes you are really promoting.
    nope. marriage. simply combining incomes isn't much unless you are also lowering your living expenses by living together; but even that has muted effects unless you actually marry. these aren't cpwill's opinions - they are the statistics. cohabitating couples see less specialization and less financial success than married ones. i'm not saying people should get married willy nilly - i am saying that they should expect to have poor families if they do not, financially and spiritually.

    You should dig deep on the entitlement meme. Too many use that as an easy answer as well.
    that welfare creates poverty? well, the statistics certainly seem to bear out that subsidizing poverty lowers incentives to leave it, therebye enshrining it as a generational cycle.

    i was, of course, however, talking about the fact that there is literally not enough money in the world to fund our future liabilities for Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid.

    Working together, even through government, is not really entitlement.
    "working together through government" what an interesting turn of phrase.

    we're not banning you from criticizing the war in afghanistan. we're just speaking together through government.


    hmmm.... i could see the uses of that. reminds me of the time when I discovered that torture was fine because all the laws that banned it were "living documents", and thus suited to reinterpretation "in light of the times" etc.

  5. #625
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    wait..so only those who do physical labor are part of the working class?

    that confuses blue-collar work with working class, even though many white-collar workers make blue-collar wages.
    and not a few blue collar workers make white collar wages.

    want to do well for yourself today? become a plumber.

  6. #626
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,569

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Pop us a link that proves Eisenhower, Nixon, Ford, and Reagan pushed for lowering the capital gains tax rate?
    I couldn't care less. REagan lowered the confiscatory top marginal income tax rate massively

    That some republicans in the past were wrong on this issue is no justification for the fact that you try to justify envy of the wealthy by not understanding why LTCG should be taxed at a lower rate

  7. #627
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,648

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I couldn't care less. REagan lowered the confiscatory top marginal income tax rate massively

    That some republicans in the past were wrong on this issue is no justification for the fact that you try to justify envy of the wealthy by not understanding why LTCG should be taxed at a lower rate
    So make us understand Turtle. Give us some logical and good reasons why the United States of America should have as its tax policy for all Americans, a preferential rate for long term capital gains that is different that the income tax on normal wages and salary.

    If we do not understand - as you put it in your post - help us to do that with a rational case for the discriminatory preference enjoyed largely by the wealthy.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #628
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,569

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    So make us understand Turtle. Give us some logical and good reasons why the United States of America should have as its tax policy for all Americans, a preferential rate for long term capital gains that is different that the income tax on normal wages and salary.

    If we do not understand - as you put it in your post - help us to do that with a rational case for the discriminatory preference enjoyed largely by the wealthy.
    asked and answered. Hundreds of times

    why should the rich not have lower LTCG tax rates when everyone else does

  9. #629
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,875

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    So make us understand Turtle. Give us some logical and good reasons why the United States of America should have as its tax policy for all Americans, a preferential rate for long term capital gains that is different that the income tax on normal wages and salary.

    If we do not understand - as you put it in your post - help us to do that with a rational case for the discriminatory preference enjoyed largely by the wealthy.
    Because you've already had the income you are using for long term investments taxed once. Its a "thank you" from the government for your long term investment.

    There is nothing discriminatory about it, since anyone can have a long term investment and in fact, if you are in the low income tax brackets( 10 & 15 percent ), your long term capital gains rate is 0.

  10. #630
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,648

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Because you've already had the income you are using for long term investments taxed once. Its a "thank you" from the government for your long term investment.

    There is nothing discriminatory about it, since anyone can have a long term investment and in fact, if you are in the low income tax brackets( 10 & 15 percent ), your long term capital gains rate is 0.
    Those are not answers. You are avoiding the question.

    Your point about you already paid tax on the income once is irrelevant because the income from capital gains investment is NEW INCOME that has not been taxed. You have NOT paid income tax upon it.

    Your claim that is it not discriminatory in favor of the wealthy flies in the face of reality and the statistics available on capital gains which clearly demonstrates two things
    1) you first have to have available funds for these long term investments and working people do not have them since almost all of their income goes for basic living expenses
    2) those who do have the available funds for such investments are disproportionally the wealthy - thus they benefit while average wage earners do not.

    http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/brief...lower-rate.cfm

    The benefits of low tax rates on capital gains accrue disproportionately to the wealthy. In 2013, an estimated 94 percent of the tax benefit of low rates on capital gains will go to taxpayers with cash incomes over $200,000, and three-fourths of the benefits will accrue to millionaires.
    Reality often proves theory wrong. This is one very clear case of it.
    Last edited by haymarket; 12-29-11 at 09:14 AM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 63 of 70 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •