Page 54 of 70 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 531 to 540 of 697

Thread: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

  1. #531
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    there was absolutely no reason why tax hikes on a small portion of the voters was ever discussed in the first place.
    Uhhh yes there were plenty of reasons.... Plenty of reasons...


  2. #532
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,607

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Uhhh yes there were plenty of reasons.... Plenty of reasons...
    none whatsoever, if the dems really believed that the government spent too much they could have offered to cut X amount from certain programs in return for the GOP cutting X amount from other programs. To try to argue that the "rich" get some benefit from spending cuts that no one else got and thus the rich have to pay more taxes to "contribute" while everyone else is merely contributing by suffering spending cuts proves

    1) the rich don't benefit from government because cuts didn't hurt them but hurts everyone else

    2) that all government spending-according to the dems-is necessary and for them to agree to cutting ANYTHING requires them getting more money from the rich to pander to people like you

  3. #533
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    none whatsoever, if the dems really believed that the government spent too much they could have offered to cut X amount from certain programs in return for the GOP cutting X amount from other programs. To try to argue that the "rich" get some benefit from spending cuts that no one else got and thus the rich have to pay more taxes to "contribute" while everyone else is merely contributing by suffering spending cuts proves

    1) the rich don't benefit from government because cuts didn't hurt them but hurts everyone else

    2) that all government spending-according to the dems-is necessary and for them to agree to cutting ANYTHING requires them getting more money from the rich to pander to people like you
    Or maybe it just means that it's idiotic to cut spending in a demand-side economic slump. Possibly it could mean that the wealthy have actually prospered throughout the recession, while everyone else has suffered. That might provide a reason why one might look to the rich first. Or one might recognize that, in a demand-side slowdown, it's beneficial to the overall economy to provide relief to the middle class. And, if it must be paid for NOW -- as Republicans insist it must -- that pulling money from the one sector that is going ganbusters makes the most sense. Just some turtle food for thought.
    Last edited by AdamT; 12-23-11 at 12:52 AM.

  4. #534
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Or maybe it just means that it's idiotic to cut spending in a demand-side economic slump. Possibly it could mean that the wealthy have actually prospered throughout the recession, while everyone else has suffered. That might provide a reason why one might look to the rich first. Or one might recognize that, in a demand-side slowdown, it's beneficial to the overall economy to provide relief to the middle class. And, if it must be paid for NOW -- as Republicans insist it must -- that pulling money from the one sector that is going ganbusters makes the most sense. Just some turtle food for thought.
    Some good points. Tell me TD, through out this whole recession who has benefitted the most? Who has been hurt the most? Straight answer please...no need for a bunch of spin.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #535
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,082

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    To me I find this to be shocking.
    really?

    when nearly half of Adults aren't married, and divorce or failure to marry the coparent of your children are the leading causes of poverty, why does this surprise you?

  6. #536
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    There is a very good reason to treat all income the same. Quite simply, if you create a tax preference for one type of income over another you are distorting the market. You are creating a PREFERENCE for investment income versus earned income.

    Great, then you are for the flat tax....Tell me more.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #537
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    Yeah I heard all that rhetoric from BHO, the WH, Dems, GOP and all the media talking heads. I also heard how BHO was going to ‘open the books’ on the negotiations to validate all that was said concerning these numbers. To date I have seen no such information, please provide if you know where it is. I question the validity of these AND those voice by the GOP during the negotiations. You realize the annual CBO baseline budget includes a +/-7% increase in spending regardless of the projected revenue. All deficit reduction is scored against this and sometimes against the ‘adjusted baseline’ which assumes things like BTC’s sun setting, wars ending and such. $3/$1 does sound somewhat reasonable but the ‘devil is usually in the details’.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why cannot Obama just agree to spending cuts?
    The only time I have seen spending cut during the last 30 years is under the Clinton Administration.

    The only way we will reduce the deficit will be if the Democrats and the Republicans agree to both cut spending and eliminate the tax cuts for the wealthy, just as was done in the Clinton Administration.

    Over the last 30 years tax rates have been increased for the middle class and cut for the wealthy.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #538
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    really?

    when nearly half of Adults aren't married, and divorce or failure to marry the coparent of your children are the leading causes of poverty, why does this surprise you?
    So marriage would solve most everything? Pay tell how?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #539
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The only time I have seen spending cut during the last 30 years is under the Clinton Administration.

    And since all spending originates in congress, that would be Gingrich victory....Good job, are you converting?


    j-amc
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #540
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The only time I have seen spending cut during the last 30 years is under the Clinton Administration.

    The only way we will reduce the deficit will be if the Democrats and the Republicans agree to both cut spending and eliminate the tax cuts for the wealthy, just as was done in the Clinton Administration.

    Over the last 30 years tax rates have been increased for the middle class and cut for the wealthy.
    You know that isn't true.
    Why do you repeat the same nonsense, over and over and over, again?

    I know I've posted links showing this is completely untrue, to you no less.
    Why do you perpetuate this lie?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 54 of 70 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •