Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 697

Thread: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

  1. #31
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Correlation does not imply causation for a reason. Not to mention, the idea that there are more poor people because we have more programs to help the poor is illogical.
    Depends.
    If those programs encourage changes in behavior, so that more people benefit from "living in poverty" than otherwise.
    Not saying that is happening, but it's not necessarily illogical.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #32
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    The government working with MSM, which is for all intents and purposes, a branch of the the federal government - and has been so for more than 15 years - has not yet declared the current economic crisis a depression, although it is.

    Off the top of my head people I know who have been out of work for quiet a while now:

    Newspaper reporter
    advertising copywriter
    videographers (4)
    More IT people than I can count
    electrical engineer
    telecommunications (3)
    real estate salesman
    teachers (3)
    headhunter
    hearing aid dispenser
    small business owner (5)

    This is just off the top of my head, people I know personally who cannot find work. I know many more, we all do. The bull**** that the unemployed are lazy shows how far off the make some GOP politicos are. We are in a depression. Obama doesn't have the leadership ability or the man balls get this nation back on its feet. Ron Paul, maybe, I don't know.
    Presient Obama has been in office 3 years and you think the economy is his fault? I can not think of any thing scarier then Ron Paul in office especially if he could actually get any thing done.

  3. #33
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    12-15-11 @ 04:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Doesn't it kind of depend on the definition of "poverty?" I've seen homeless people with cell phones and portable TV's...

    Also, the Federal Government doesn't count government assitance as "income." Someone could be on a half a dozen government programs and still be in poverty because they have a low income job.
    Last edited by The_Pilgrim; 12-15-11 at 04:48 PM.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    What a surprise! The right is blaming the left and refusing to see any fault withing their own party. The left is blaming the right and refusing to see the fault in their own party. Try to see the bigger picture.

    Keep blindly following a party and blaming the other side while endorsing a party who is just as to blame.

    Furthermore, people need to stop crying and waiting for the government to fix things. Our economy is jacked up because of a lot more than political policies. People are poor because Americans as a whole refuse to support Americans and American businesses. You people are more to blame than Dems or Repubs.

  5. #35
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Pilgrim View Post
    Doesn't it kind of depend on the definition of "poverty?" I've seen homeless people with cell phones and portable TV's...
    You forgot to mention the generators they use to charge these items, how many lets say out of a hundred homeless people would you say have cell phones and portable TV's

    Also, the Federal Government doesn't count government assitance as "income." Someone could be on a half a dozen government programs and still be in poverty because they have a low income job.
    I am not saying you are incorrect but...Is this conjecture on your part or do you want to or can you supply a source

  6. #36
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Depends.
    If those programs encourage changes in behavior, so that more people benefit from "living in poverty" than otherwise.
    Not saying that is happening, but it's not necessarily illogical.
    Changing those programs to spur action and reward those who better themselves is not the same as cutting and dismantling them.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  7. #37
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,856
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Robert Rector, a senior research fellow at the conservative Heritage Foundation, questioned whether some people classified as poor or low-income actually suffer material hardship. He said that while safety-net programs have helped many Americans, they have gone too far. He said some people described as poor live in decent-size homes, drive cars and own wide-screen TVs.
    When I was 20 yrs old I would walk to work sometimes thumbing a ride. My job was 25 miles from where I lived with my folks. I did that for 3 months, part of which was in the winter. Plus I had the swing shift so by the time I got off I had to walk home in the dark...rarely did anyone stop to pick me up. Then I was able to get an apartment in town and a car which widened my ability to get a job.

    Over the years I eventually got married and had two kids, rented a house and things were good. Even got a good tv via tax returns. Then the recession hit. We had to move out and live with my folks for awhile until we got an apartment that was in subsidized housing with some help via a chairty organization. There was only one 3 bedroom apartment available....which happened to be the only one that wasn't subsidized because it was originally the managers apartment. Rent is 750/month. Which we used our tax returns to pay for a years worth of rent. Now we have two cars and the same tv. One car for my wife and one for me so we can do our own respective things.

    This is my life for the last 16 years in its most simplest form. I am poor. Yet my family is provided for. Do I not deserve a tv and 2 cars just because I am poor?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #38
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    When I was 20 yrs old I would walk to work sometimes thumbing a ride. My job was 25 miles from where I lived with my folks. I did that for 3 months, part of which was in the winter. Plus I had the swing shift so by the time I got off I had to walk home in the dark...rarely did anyone stop to pick me up. Then I was able to get an apartment in town and a car which widened my ability to get a job.

    Over the years I eventually got married and had two kids, rented a house and things were good. Even got a good tv via tax returns. Then the recession hit. We had to move out and live with my folks for awhile until we got an apartment that was in subsidized housing with some help via a chairty organization. There was only one 3 bedroom apartment available....which happened to be the only one that wasn't subsidized because it was originally the managers apartment. Rent is 750/month. Which we used our tax returns to pay for a years worth of rent. Now we have two cars and the same tv. One car for my wife and one for me so we can do our own respective things.

    This is my life for the last 16 years in its most simplest form. I am poor. Yet my family is provided for. Do I not deserve a tv and 2 cars just because I am poor?
    You walked 25 miles to work each day? That's like 4 hours each way! Jesus man.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Changing those programs to spur action and reward those who better themselves is not the same as cutting and dismantling them.
    I agree, but a lot of people are heavily resistant to this.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #40
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,856
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    You walked 25 miles to work each day? That's like 4 hours each way! Jesus man.
    Plus worked an 8hr shift. Yes.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •