Page 30 of 70 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 697

Thread: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

  1. #291
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    How many people here at DP do you think are able to afford the requirements to communicate via the internet are actually envious of you or any one else, I think secretly you want to be like those who have to struggle to survive and that you envy those who have to depend on social programs to survive

    Get realistic American manufacturing has moved overseas because they can increase thier profit margins and our government has not enforced trade agreements, it's hard enough for American workers to compete with wages that do not even qualify to be termed as slave labor but then add to that when the tariffs on chinese goods brough into America is in the 2 to 3 % range and the tariffs on American made goods sent to China is in the 30 to 40% percent range. Want more? when bills " S.3816 - Creating American Jobs and Ending Offshoring Act" have been introduced that would help American workers keep jobs here in America the republicans vote them down.

    You may feel safe but I see no reason why your job can not be out sourced to India or China, it's just a matter of time
    Multiple choice question

    what is the purpose of a corporation

    1) to create a profit for the owners

    2) to provide you a job

    3) to fund the government with taxes

  2. #292
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You're still ignoring half of what I write. Why?
    I answered that. I read one of the articles. It was wrong. I have no desire to go further.

    And no, you said something was true and refered to a chart, and showed me no chart.

    I repeat:

    Well, you have not shown that, but the person he quotes for a study wasn't using that. The person writing the article was, so it is really irrelevent to the theory that was really being presented by the economists in all the articles. Perhaps that is people focus on something other than the actual theories or issue being presented?


    Maybe the highlighting will help.
    You can yell all day but the states with lowest taxes have lower unemployed than those with the highest taxes with the exception of Florida. I ask if this is not true. You say it's irrelevant.

  3. #293
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    I answered that. I read one of the articles. It was wrong. I have no desire to go further.
    Not good enough as you picked on the writers opinion and not the actual argument.



    You can yell all day but the states with lowest taxes have lower unemployed than those with the highest taxes with the exception of Florida. I ask if this is not true. You say it's irrelevant.
    It is irrelevent. You have to prove low taxes are the reason. There are more than one factor involved. Which again is why I linked several articles. I had hoped you would have read the more expert opinion as I can't see not doing so.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #294
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It is irrelevent. You have to prove low taxes are the reason. There are more than one factor involved. Which again is why I linked several articles. I had hoped you would have read the more expert opinion as I can't see not doing so.
    Absolutely WRONG. It's your theory. As you note, there are many reasons and it's foolish to try and claim it's any one thing. 4 out of 5 of the lowest tax rate states have far lower unemployment than the 5 highest.

    But go ahead, tell my why that is irrelevant again. Also tell me again why Illinois had to bribe Sears to stay.

  5. #295
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Absolutely WRONG. It's your theory. As you note, there are many reasons and it's foolish to try and claim it's any one thing. 4 out of 5 of the lowest tax rate states have far lower unemployment than the 5 highest.

    But go ahead, tell my why that is irrelevant again. Also tell me again why Illinois had to bribe Sears to stay.
    No it isn't. I claim tax cuts do not create jobs. That means you have to show that once a tax cut was received, a job was created. Unemployment comes with and without tax cuts, and tax cuts seem to have no effect on them. The link you responded to and only read the writer's opinion had an expert say tax cuts don't create jobs. The writer than went off on his own. I had hoped you'd have statred with the expert.

    So, yes, what you are focusing on is irrelevent. It has nothing to do with my claim.

    Say reason Michigan did, and eventually lost after them gave business all they asked for. Business knows you guys buy into, and that elected officials have to appease you or take the heat. But staying isn't creating new jobs. It is only holding on to what is currently there. And there are examples of appeasing business only to watch them leave, moving a set number of jobs from one place to another, but not creating new jobs.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #296
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Multiple choice question

    what is the purpose of a corporation

    1) to create a profit for the owners

    2) to provide you a job

    3) to fund the government with taxes
    Let me predict the future for you. China and the USA are in an undeclared economic war, eventually China will know that they have drained enough out of the American economy and will take the route that other countries have taken they will nationalize all of the American based companies in China and call in the loans they have made to America. When that happens the golden goose that those who own the companies "the stock holders" will find thier selves holding worthless pieces of paper.

    American workers built and worked the companies that have moved over seas, When the Chinese nationalize American manufacturing you may know what the price of greed looks and feels like.

  7. #297
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No it isn't. I claim tax cuts do not create jobs. That means you have to show that once a tax cut was received, a job was created.
    It isn't my theory. I don't have to prove anything.

  8. #298
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,115

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    QE-1 and 2.
    OK you answered what, but not how. Nor is it the root cause of the trend that began 30 years ago... so this is nothing but a side bar at best.

  9. #299
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,115

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    envy is a really sucky thing to suffer from.

    Unions and government are the main reason why jobs move overseas
    Nice thought, except the tech industry has been particularly hard hit with overseas outsourcing. That industry is neither regulated nor unionized. Sorry, you can't blame outsourcing on unions and government..... you can blame it on greed.

  10. #300
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    OK you answered what, but not how. Nor is it the root cause of the trend that began 30 years ago... so this is nothing but a side bar at best.
    Yes, if we want to take the time I imagine we could agree on many things that have happened over the last 30 years that have got us where we are today. I would agree with that.

    QE1 and 2 were very good for Wall Street. It gave investment banks money for nothing to inflate the markets. Things like oil, wheat, etc. These things then costs everyone more for the daily things they need which really affected the lower classes.

Page 30 of 70 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •