Page 28 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 697

Thread: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

  1. #271
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    Boo you seem to talk about "winners" and "losers" like there is a set number, a limited number. The wonderful thing about this country is there is nothing holding anyone back from being successful. Look at the founder of Wendys, he didn't even graduate from high school. There can only be so many winners, but, nothing is stopping YOU from being one.

    Sounds to me like you're jealous of other people's wealth. In fact, you definitely are.

    I just purchased a very modest little house, I drive 14 and 15 year old vehicles, I make about 30,000 a year and I consider myself one hell of a winner considering what I've been through and what I know some other people my age are making right now. Labeling oneself a "winner" or "loser" is too this or that, black or white.

    You might not consider me a winner, but I'm perfectly happy right now. I'm not rich by any means, but when I go grocery shopping I have no problems buying what I need to eat. I'm not made of money and I purchase things as cheaply as I can, but I am content with what I have, I don't feel I need "more money" to feel like a winner.

    Like someone told me one time, "Some of the richest people I know don't have a dime to their name."
    ????

    No, but any game only has one winner. A game where everyone is a winner isn't really a competition, is it?

    Not jealous at all as I'm doing fine. You too shouldn't try to read into the comments of others or make leaps, as you not really good at it either.

    The rest of post is neither any thing I disagree with or addresses anything I've said.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #272
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Seems you often times do this. You get confused but it would seem you refuse to go back and read what was discussed. You listed states with low tax rates and with high tax rates. The arguement was that those with low tax rates were not creating jobs because Florida (in the low rate) was about the same as Illinois (in the high rate) but when you looked at the rest of the states, every one of the low tax rate states had lower unemployment than the higher tax rate states.

    No, I have no desire to look at article after article until one can be found to suit your arguement.
    No, I've gone back. I think you are confused. I said tax cuts do not create jobs. I said there is no evidence that it does. I listed the first few links on a search, to which you immediately focused on one example in one article. I said, look at the other articles, and gave you a few more. You failed to and continued a very limited focus, ignoring the other articles. I have asked why and for the chart you refer to. You answer neither, and continue to focus on the one single example in one article. I'm lost as to why, and have been repeating this for some time.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #273
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Here are some of the year's big winners:

    1. William R. Johnson, Chairman and President, H.J. Heinz. Bonus: $8,589,063, up 17.6 percent.

    Top CEO Bonuses of 2010: Heinz, Oracle, Cisco, Nike and Rupert Murdoch of NewsCorp. - ABC News

    2011 Executive PayWatch





    China controls their economy. To have more control, we would have to be more like China. Not sure we want that.




    We've linked before what business does with tax cuts.

    Summation:

    Although we would expect tax cuts to bolster the economy, empirical evidence shows that they typically don't. Tax cuts to the rich are more likely to promote investment bubbles than job creation. Tax incentives to corporations frequently promote job destroying choices, or simply become handouts to the executives and the investors.
    why tax cuts don't create jobs

    Florida has the fifth lowest corporate income tax rate in the country at 5.5 percent, trailing only South Dakota, Alaska, Wyoming and Nevada — states hardly in Florida's league. Yet Florida's unemployment rate remains far higher than the 9.1 percent national average. Recently, both a Tax Foundation study and University of Central Florida economist Sean Snaith have argued that reducing taxes has no discernible impact on job growth.

    It's not hard to find evidence to support such a view. Other states with much higher corporate tax rates — Connecticut, New York, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey — all enjoy significantly lower jobless numbers, as well as hosting the corporate headquarters of many more Fortune 500 companies per capita.

    Tax cuts don't create jobs - Tampa Bay Times

    I usually just give the first two or three, but tohers have been posted. What can be done, and what is done are two different things.





    They are that,. but not uncommon as to what is done with our appeasment of business.

    And while I agree with you that one may be worse than the other, we curently do both. And when you lower their taxes, which largely doesn't amount to enough to actually make a major difference even if used, you have to have some evidence that they actually hire people. That evidence doesn't really exist. The evidence is all over the board, and u=suggests that other factors, not taxes, play a far larger role.



    That's right. Without taking control, government can do very little. And I suspect neither one of us wants the government taking control.
    I started linking for you on post #159 1Perry. I noted before that I have linked many things on this over time. Later I give you more, and later more, and later some more. I do not limit my argument to the one article.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #274
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I started linking for you on post #159 1Perry. I noted before that I have linked many things on this over time. Later I give you more, and later more, and later some more. I do not limit my argument to the one article.
    Your arguement.

    Florida has the fifth lowest corporate income tax rate in the country at 5.5 percent, trailing only South Dakota, Alaska, Wyoming and Nevada — states hardly in Florida's league. Yet Florida's unemployment rate remains far higher than the 9.1 percent national average. Recently, both a Tax Foundation study and University of Central Florida economist Sean Snaith have argued that reducing taxes has no discernible impact on job growth.


    It's not hard to find evidence to support such a view. Other states with much higher corporate tax rates — Connecticut, New York, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey — all enjoy significantly lower jobless numbers, as well as hosting the corporate headquarters of many more Fortune 500 companies per capita.


    Do the numbers actually support this position?

  5. #275
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    On this I think we agree.

    I will only say we need a strong middle. We don't have one at the moment, or at least not as strong as we should want.
    I don't think the numbers on classes are going to be accurate for a while.
    With a large part of our population moving into retirement, there are going to be income fluctuations, based on the fact that they may be liquidating their assets, which can skew the numbers in a couple of directions.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #276
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Your arguement.

    Florida has the fifth lowest corporate income tax rate in the country at 5.5 percent, trailing only South Dakota, Alaska, Wyoming and Nevada — states hardly in Florida's league. Yet Florida's unemployment rate remains far higher than the 9.1 percent national average. Recently, both a Tax Foundation study and University of Central Florida economist Sean Snaith have argued that reducing taxes has no discernible impact on job growth.


    It's not hard to find evidence to support such a view. Other states with much higher corporate tax rates — Connecticut, New York, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey — all enjoy significantly lower jobless numbers, as well as hosting the corporate headquarters of many more Fortune 500 companies per capita.


    Do the numbers actually support this position?
    Incorrect.

    1) Not my argument, but one example from one link. Nothing more.

    2) What do you have that it doesn't?


    Again, I don't see the state issue as causal either way, but my point, and it is in that article, is that there is no evidence tax cuts create jobs. I did not give you JUST that article and say it was my entire argument.
    Last edited by Boo Radley; 12-18-11 at 03:04 PM.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #277
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I don't think the numbers on classes are going to be accurate for a while.
    With a large part of our population moving into retirement, there are going to be income fluctuations, based on the fact that they may be liquidating their assets, which can skew the numbers in a couple of directions.
    Interesting, but many, including republicans see a trend. Once during Bush's first term I found and lnked then a report my his people that the gap was widing and that it was a concern. But, I suspect we'll see.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #278
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Interesting, but many, including republicans see a trend. Once during Bush's first term I found and lnked then a report my his people that the gap was widing and that it was a concern. But, I suspect we'll see.
    As I saw in a WSJ article, a large portion of the upper class, are only in the upper class taxable range for a limited time.
    Which to me means, that there are many, many reasons behind the numbers and not necessarily wage gap growth.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #279
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    As I saw in a WSJ article, a large portion of the upper class, are only in the upper class taxable range for a limited time.
    Which to me means, that there are many, many reasons behind the numbers and not necessarily wage gap growth.
    I don't think that means that. Regardless of movement in and out, there are looks at trends that take that into account.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #280
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,958
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    When it comes to poor people having TVs and Xbox 360s, it seems that people forget about credit cards. Anyone can get a credit card these days and put things from sound systems to their rent on a credit card. And when it comes to having good credit, all I have to do is make the minimum payments on time. So yes, poor people can have things such as Wiis and flatscreen tvs.

    I'd also like to say that I think it's legitimately disgusting that some people think that one need to be starving in the streets, homeless, and/or have nothing besides the basic necessities to be considered poor.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

Page 28 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •