Page 27 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 697

Thread: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

  1. #261
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Short answer: raise the highest marginal rates (including the definition of the highest brackets) about 50% and this gets fixed.
    The gap would be much smaller if the government hadn't decided to reinflate the markets. I hate the arguement that the entity that broke something is the answer to fixing it.

  2. #262
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Yea this is really about why are some of the middle class moving down instead of staying at or moving up from middle class.
    Credit over usage is but one of the problems.
    On this I think we agree.

    I will only say we need a strong middle. We don't have one at the moment, or at least not as strong as we should want.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #263
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Your examples showed it did. Every state outside of one had a lower unemployment rate than those with higher taxes.
    I'm a little confused, there's no chart in that article, and I don't remeber seeing a link from you? Did I miss one or the other?

    Also, the reason I linked several other articles instead of just thatn one is because that alone, for either of us, would not show causation. If I had said, that only reason we know that tax cuts jobs is because of the difference in umemployment by states, you'd have a point if what you say is true. But that is not what I said, or the only evidence I gave. Does this not make sense to you?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #264
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm a little confused, there's no chart in that article, and I don't remeber seeing a link from you? Did I miss one or the other?

    Also, the reason I linked several other articles instead of just thatn one is because that alone, for either of us, would not show causation. If I had said, that only reason we know that tax cuts jobs is because of the difference in umemployment by states, you'd have a point if what you say is true. But that is not what I said, or the only evidence I gave. Does this not make sense to you?
    Yes, you made an arguement and it wasn't true based upon the examples used. You then wanted me to look at other arguements. I'm not going to research them all once the first one was so mistaken.

    Like Obama, you had one shot.

  5. #265
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Yes, you made an arguement and it wasn't true based upon the examples used. You then wanted me to look at other arguements. I'm not going to research them all once the first one was so mistaken.

    Like Obama, you had one shot.
    No, it was not based on those examples. I cannot figure out why you think one example used in one of several articles is what the argument is based on? It isn't. You keep going back to one example in one article, and i keep pointing to the other articles, and asking you read more. I specifically told you I merely link the first few such articles. And then the next few. And so on. The effort was to show the overwhelming amount of material on this topic. Not to make one examplein one article the basis of the argument. That would be silly.

    And you still haven't shown me the chart.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #266
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,129

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    The gap would be much smaller if the government hadn't decided to reinflate the markets. I hate the arguement that the entity that broke something is the answer to fixing it.
    I am not following... what do you mean "re-inflate" the markets? What did the government do, when and how does it contribute to the gap?

  7. #267
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,847

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    I am not following... what do you mean "re-inflate" the markets? What did the government do, when and how does it contribute to the gap?
    Additional I'd like to add the question as to when this occurred.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #268
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, it was not based on those examples. I cannot figure out why you think one example used in one of several articles is what the argument is based on? It isn't. You keep going back to one example in one article, and i keep pointing to the other articles, and asking you read more. I specifically told you I merely link the first few such articles. And then the next few. And so on. The effort was to show the overwhelming amount of material on this topic. Not to make one examplein one article the basis of the argument. That would be silly.

    And you still haven't shown me the chart.
    Seems you often times do this. You get confused but it would seem you refuse to go back and read what was discussed. You listed states with low tax rates and with high tax rates. The arguement was that those with low tax rates were not creating jobs because Florida (in the low rate) was about the same as Illinois (in the high rate) but when you looked at the rest of the states, every one of the low tax rate states had lower unemployment than the higher tax rate states.

    No, I have no desire to look at article after article until one can be found to suit your arguement.

  9. #269
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    I am not following... what do you mean "re-inflate" the markets? What did the government do, when and how does it contribute to the gap?
    QE-1 and 2.

  10. #270
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Census shows 1 in 2 people are poor or low-income

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I haven't heard anyone argue that they want a society where one can't win. In fact, while you may fond someone, that number is about as smaller as those who win. It is bad form to misrepresent the argument. Someone noted earliy that it was not about everyone being equal, but about equity, a very different word. So, you wrote a lot up there that has nothing to with what hardly anyone is arguing and nothing at all addressing what I have said. How should I respond to that?
    Boo you seem to talk about "winners" and "losers" like there is a set number, a limited number. The wonderful thing about this country is there is nothing holding anyone back from being successful. Look at the founder of Wendys, he didn't even graduate from high school. There can only be so many winners, but, nothing is stopping YOU from being one.

    Sounds to me like you're jealous of other people's wealth. In fact, you definitely are.

    I just purchased a very modest little house, I drive 14 and 15 year old vehicles, I make about 30,000 a year and I consider myself one hell of a winner considering what I've been through and what I know some other people my age are making right now. Labeling oneself a "winner" or "loser" is too this or that, black or white.

    You might not consider me a winner, but I'm perfectly happy right now. I'm not rich by any means, but when I go grocery shopping I have no problems buying what I need to eat. I'm not made of money and I purchase things as cheaply as I can, but I am content with what I have, I don't feel I need "more money" to feel like a winner.

    Like someone told me one time, "Some of the richest people I know don't have a dime to their name."
    Last edited by dontworrybehappy; 12-18-11 at 01:42 PM.

Page 27 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •