Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 142

Thread: Time Magazine's Person Of The Year Is THE PROTESTER

  1. #21
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Time Magazine's Person Of The Year Is THE PROTESTER

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Well, popularity is part of it. If it were popularity alone, then they would have picked Kim Kardashian or another celebrity. But popularity certainly needs to be a part of it since Time's person of the year seems to be partially about who had the most influence on people and who dominated discussion. People who aren't well known don't typically do either and certainly don't do the latter.
    Norman Borlaug is a good example the kinda defies that.
    He developed a wheat variety that helped the world over, especially 3rd world nations, he did win a noble prize, but in general he was not well known.
    His impact was much more significant, in real terms, than those of protesters.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #22
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Time Magazine's Person Of The Year Is THE PROTESTER

    Time Magazine: Picking it's way to irrelevancy.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  3. #23
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Time Magazine's Person Of The Year Is THE PROTESTER

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Norman Borlaug is a good example the kinda defies that.
    He developed a wheat variety that helped the world over, especially 3rd world nations, he did win a noble prize, but in general he was not well known.
    His impact was much more significant, in real terms, than those of protesters.
    Yeah, but my point is that Person of the Year is not synonymous with Most Important or Significant person of the year. There are plenty of lists that deal with lesser known people like Borlaug. My impression of Time's list is that it's supposed to be about who quite literally influenced more people and dominated discussion. The protests really did both more than anyone this year and not just in one place, but all over the world.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Time Magazine's Person Of The Year Is THE PROTESTER

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Yeah, but my point is that Person of the Year is not synonymous with Most Important or Significant person of the year. There are plenty of lists that deal with lesser known people like Borlaug. My impression of Time's list is that it's supposed to be about who quite literally influenced more people and dominated discussion. The protests really did both more than anyone this year and not just in one place, but all over the world.
    I agree with the dominated discussion part, but not so much with the influenced people part.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #25
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Time Magazine's Person Of The Year Is THE PROTESTER

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    putting the same guy on the cover of Time magazine, with three months, ignores the many more individuals and events that have taken place in our world during the year.

    nevermind the fact that its just silly.


    So what month you get the cover dictates your status? then the award is a lie.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Time Magazine's Person Of The Year Is THE PROTESTER

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    So what month you get the cover dictates your status? then the award is a lie.
    you're welcome to submit your issues to Time magazine's complaints department.


  7. #27
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Time Magazine's Person Of The Year Is THE PROTESTER

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    you're welcome to submit your issues to Time magazine's complaints department.


    you made an argument, it was shredded, and this is what you are reduced to, Concession accepted.,
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Time Magazine's Person Of The Year Is THE PROTESTER

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    you made an argument, it was shredded, and this is what you are reduced to, Concession accepted.,
    you can play all the games you like, but my comments are valid. sorry bro.

  9. #29
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Time Magazine's Person Of The Year Is THE PROTESTER

    So why is "the protester" being the time person of the year a bad thing?


  10. #30
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Time Magazine's Person Of The Year Is THE PROTESTER

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Time Magazine: Picking it's way to irrelevancy.
    Yes. People taking to the streets on all continents is "irrelevant" soo irrelevant that many government have taken action against them...


Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •