Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: New Haven Asks State to Allow Non-Citizens to Vote

  1. #1
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    New Haven Asks State to Allow Non-Citizens to Vote

    I dont care if your Dem or Rep, progressive or conservative...you should denounce this MORON and his absurd idea to give our country alway to non nationals...this is a disgusting attempt to circumvent the voting results of american citizens and to dilute the process with NON CITIZENS. He should be soundly denounced for this.


    New Haven Mayor John DeStefano plans to ask the state Legislature to allow illegal immigrants who live in the city to be able vote in municipal elections.

    DeStefano said on Tuesday that the proposal would build a more engaged community and follows the lead of other cities, the New Haven Register reports.
    The Register reports that 10,000 to 12,000 undocumented residents are believed to live in New Haven.
    Immigrants who are in the U.S. legally or illegally and cannot vote now would still be unable to vote in state or federal elections.
    DeStefano, a Democrat, said illegal immigrants pay taxes indirectly through rent and send their kids to New Haven schools and should be able to vote.

    New Haven Asks State to Allow Non-Citizens to Vote | NBC Connecticut

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: New Haven Asks State to Allow Non-Citizens to Vote

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    I dont care if your Dem or Rep, progressive or conservative...you should denounce this MORON and his absurd idea to give our country alway to non nationals...this is a disgusting attempt to circumvent the voting results of american citizens and to dilute the process with NON CITIZENS. He should be soundly denounced for this.


    New Haven Mayor John DeStefano plans to ask the state Legislature to allow illegal immigrants who live in the city to be able vote in municipal elections.

    DeStefano said on Tuesday that the proposal would build a more engaged community and follows the lead of other cities, the New Haven Register reports.
    The Register reports that 10,000 to 12,000 undocumented residents are believed to live in New Haven.
    Immigrants who are in the U.S. legally or illegally and cannot vote now would still be unable to vote in state or federal elections.
    DeStefano, a Democrat, said illegal immigrants pay taxes indirectly through rent and send their kids to New Haven schools and should be able to vote.

    New Haven Asks State to Allow Non-Citizens to Vote | NBC Connecticut
    Yep, this is indeed a stupid suggestion made by the Mayor.

  3. #3
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: New Haven Asks State to Allow Non-Citizens to Vote

    If it's just for municipal elections, then it really falls to the city to determine who they want to vote or not. If they think it's a good idea, then they're welcome to try it and live with whatever consequences occur (not that I think people suddenly become more moral or suddenly vote the "right" way by virtue of citizenship). For anything beyond this city, however, citizenship is a prerequisite of voting. Anything in the state or federal governments impact the country as a whole, and the country is a long way from deciding that anyone other than a citizen can vote.

    A much better solution for DeStefano would be a program to get those 10-12 thousand illegals to become citizens.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: New Haven Asks State to Allow Non-Citizens to Vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    If it's just for municipal elections, then it really falls to the city to determine who they want to vote or not. If they think it's a good idea, then they're welcome to try it and live with whatever consequences occur (not that I think people suddenly become more moral or suddenly vote the "right" way by virtue of citizenship). For anything beyond this city, however, citizenship is a prerequisite of voting. Anything in the state or federal governments impact the country as a whole, and the country is a long way from deciding that anyone other than a citizen can vote.

    A much better solution for DeStefano would be a program to get those 10-12 thousand illegals to become citizens.
    But then he wouldn't be able to get his grass cut on the cheap.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: New Haven Asks State to Allow Non-Citizens to Vote

    The only way this is a GOOD idea is if this is actually a plan to arrest and deport (or execute) all of these illegals. Since I've lived in CT and worked in New Haven in my life I know it isn't. This is actually something this moron believes is a GOOD idea. Just another reason New Haven is going down the crapper.

  6. #6
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: New Haven Asks State to Allow Non-Citizens to Vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    If it's just for municipal elections, then it really falls to the city to determine who they want to vote or not. If they think it's a good idea, then they're welcome to try it and live with whatever consequences occur (not that I think people suddenly become more moral or suddenly vote the "right" way by virtue of citizenship). For anything beyond this city, however, citizenship is a prerequisite of voting. Anything in the state or federal governments impact the country as a whole, and the country is a long way from deciding that anyone other than a citizen can vote.



    A much better solution for DeStefano would be a program to get those 10-12 thousand illegals to become citizens.


    I wouldnt think a mayor and city council have the juice to make illegals legal and im glad they dont.....this is absurd on all levels...and every registered voter should be appalled that this mayor wants to negate their vote or at minimum change the results by allowing NON AMERICANS to vote in an american election....I hope they run this guy out of office next election

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: New Haven Asks State to Allow Non-Citizens to Vote

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    I wouldnt think a mayor and city council have the juice to make illegals legal and im glad they dont.....this is absurd on all levels...and every registered voter should be appalled that this mayor wants to negate their vote or at minimum change the results by allowing NON AMERICANS to vote in an american election....I hope they run this guy out of office next election
    Don't hold your breath on that, lpast. He's been there quite a while and he'll probably be there until he decides he wants to move onto something bigger and better.

    You are right that the voters/citizens in New Haven should be appalled by this. Though I would guess that enough of them are RELATED/TIED to the illegals, either directly or indirectly that they wouldn't care.

  8. #8
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: New Haven Asks State to Allow Non-Citizens to Vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    The only way this is a GOOD idea is if this is actually a plan to arrest and deport (or execute) all of these illegals. Since I've lived in CT and worked in New Haven in my life I know it isn't. This is actually something this moron believes is a GOOD idea. Just another reason New Haven is going down the crapper.
    Seriously Tigger, execute them ? lol...your strange....if anyone should be executed it should be the American Mayor

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: New Haven Asks State to Allow Non-Citizens to Vote

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Seriously Tigger, execute them ? lol...your strange....if anyone should be executed it should be the American Mayor
    They're here illegally. Technically they can be executed as spies and sabatours. I am against legitimizing/legalizing ANY of these foreign nationals who have not entered the United States through the proper channels.

    Though I do agree that the mayor needs to get his just desserts too. I'd suggest drawing and quartering. There's a great spot on the New Haven town green to do it, too.

  10. #10
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: New Haven Asks State to Allow Non-Citizens to Vote

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    They're here illegally. Technically they can be executed as spies and sabatours. I am against legitimizing/legalizing ANY of these foreign nationals who have not entered the United States through the proper channels.

    Though I do agree that the mayor needs to get his just desserts too. I'd suggest drawing and quartering. There's a great spot on the New Haven town green to do it, too.
    Tigger I dislike and want illegal immigration stopped as much as anyone else...but how did they get here ? they got here because our politicians refuse to do whats necessary to seal the border...and to deport ALL of them as they are caught and established to be here illegally....and the politicians that keep the illegal immigrant candy store open...If anyone got executed it should be the enablers..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •