Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 264

Thread: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

  1. #41
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    thanks to the OP for bringing this to my attention
    i am going today to purchase this pill to take tomorrow when i visit my daughter
    hope she never needs to use it
    but if she does, i want it to be available to her in a timely manner


    concerned about the young women who might have to either endure an abortion or go to full term only because they were denied access to this drug when it could have avoided the results of an unintended pregnancy

    So, since this article, and reasoning for this decision seems to be to restrict access to younger girls in the 13 yo age range, I assume your daughter is around that age. So my questions for you are such:

    How sexually active is your daughter?

    Since you have to "go see her.." I assume that you live apart from her? And how would her mother feel about you condoning her sexual activity through giving her these pills?

    Don't you think if your daughter is that young that you are sending the wrong message?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #42
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,897

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger
    True, but it is AFTER the act. Whether it's right after, 12 hours later, or six weeks later is immaterial. The act has already been performed. The consequences/reprecussions have been EARNED. You had the fun, now you should have to potentially deal with what happens because of it.
    This isn't an argument because of the fact that we have contraception that works "after the fact" so the same argument for taking contraceptives in either instance (before or after) applies.

    What you need to clarify is what it is specifically about the act that concludes that utilizing contraception beforehand is acceptable while utilizing it after is not.

    Don't you think if your daughter is that young that you are sending the wrong message?
    The proper message would be "sex is great just be responsible about it."
    Last edited by Khayembii Communique; 12-09-11 at 12:09 PM.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    concerned about the young women who might have to either endure an abortion or go to full term only because they were denied access to this drug when it could have avoided the results of an unintended pregnancy
    So you're comfortable with your daughter engaging in sexual relations which could lead to her getting pregnant even though you are saying she's not ready to be a parent? Why not just hand her a couple of running chainsaws to juggle or a loaded handgun to play with at the same time?

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    This isn't an argument because of the fact that we have contraception that works "after the fact" so the same argument for taking contraceptives in either instance (before or after) applies.

    What you need to clarify is what it is specifically about the act that concludes that utilizing contraception beforehand is acceptable while utilizing it after is not.
    No we don't have contraceptives that work after the fact. It is my understanding that this (and other) things are designed not to stop the fertilization, but to stop the body from accepting the fertilized egg. That is NOT contraception so far as I'm concerned.

    The importance of "the act" is that it's a knowing, willing, and consenting act. 99% of people who are engaging in the act understand what the potential consequences of that act may be. If you are unwilling to potentially accept those consequences, don't consent to the act. In my mind consenting to that act is also consenting to a potential pregnancy and the consequences thereof.

  5. #45
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    So you're comfortable with your daughter engaging in sexual relations which could lead to her getting pregnant even though you are saying she's not ready to be a parent? Why not just hand her a couple of running chainsaws to juggle or a loaded handgun to play with at the same time?
    I don't think anyone is comfortable when their son or daughter is engaging in sexual relations. But it does happen, regardless. It's better to be prepared.

  6. #46
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    No we don't have contraceptives that work after the fact. It is my understanding that this (and other) things are designed not to stop the fertilization, but to stop the body from accepting the fertilized egg. That is NOT contraception so far as I'm concerned.

    The importance of "the act" is that it's a knowing, willing, and consenting act. 99% of people who are engaging in the act understand what the potential consequences of that act may be. If you are unwilling to potentially accept those consequences, don't consent to the act. In my mind consenting to that act is also consenting to a potential pregnancy and the consequences thereof.
    Your argument would be valid if the only people to suffer the consequences were the ones engaging in the sexual act. However, if they are forced to have a child that is unwanted, then the child suffers in the long run. Trust me, I've known a few people in my life who definitely shouldn't have been parents. The children always end up suffering. Plan B is far more humane, in my opinion.

  7. #47
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,897

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger
    No we don't have contraceptives that work after the fact. It is my understanding that this (and other) things are designed not to stop the fertilization, but to stop the body from accepting the fertilized egg. That is NOT contraception so far as I'm concerned.
    Okay, so do you consider this abortion or not?

    The importance of "the act" is that it's a knowing, willing, and consenting act. 99% of people who are engaging in the act understand what the potential consequences of that act may be. If you are unwilling to potentially accept those consequences, don't consent to the act. In my mind consenting to that act is also consenting to a potential pregnancy and the consequences thereof.
    And again, the potential consequences of the act are mitigated by contraception, so this isn't a valid argument.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  8. #48
    Advisor BamaBrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    510
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Lots of pharmacists have stated that if it is available OTC and available to younger girls, they wont sell them to them anyway without parental approval. Also more and more pharmacies are going to a system where before you leave with your prescription (of any type) you have to meet with the pharmacist and she gives you any side effects he or she feels you need to be aware of and gives you a chance to ask any questions you have.. Our local walmart pharmacy does that.

    Personally, Im not really sure if it should be OTC or prescription only, I havent really thought about it that deeply. But I think this is terrific thing for victims of rape and the like. I dont think you can compare it to abortion as when you are taking the pill there is no baby yet. You arent "getting rid" of anything... you are "preventing" something from happening.

  9. #49
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,151

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So, since this article, and reasoning for this decision seems to be to restrict access to younger girls in the 13 yo age range, I assume your daughter is around that age. So my questions for you are such:
    wrong assumption. my daughter is 22. i want her to have ready access to this pill should she ever choose to use it

    How sexually active is your daughter?
    don't know
    that is for her to determine
    my job, as her dad, is to make life easier for her if i am reasonably able to do so
    she advised me that she took the oath to be a virgin until marriage; of course, that was when she was very active in the church. she was quite young then. she and i have also had a discussion about the morality of abortion. again, only an exchange of views. she, as her brother, thinks for herself. it's expected in our family

    kids still laugh about my 14 year old son coming home to find a box of condoms i had placed on his bed
    don't know when he because sexually active, but wanted to make sure he had protection if he was (or intended to be)

    Since you have to "go see her.." I assume that you live apart from her?
    yes, four hours away. she manages a medical practice (but that does not mean she will have these meds available to her should she ever need them. note that a mechanic still has a spare tire in his car if one is ever needed)

    And how would her mother feel about you condoning her sexual activity through giving her these pills?
    won't ask. just as i did not when i provided my son a box of condoms and in a subsequent discussion told him that i would get him more, without question, should he indicate a need. (it's intimidating for a young person to buy condoms in a pharmacy)
    this was between me and my kids. but my wife and i were both pleased when the doctor prescribed bc pills for my young, teen aged daughter ... presumedly for something other than birth control. she was not happy with my decision to give my son unsolicited condoms

    Don't you think if your daughter is that young that you are sending the wrong message?
    no. when she was a very young teen and told me she took the virgin oath, she seemed quite proud. my fear was that she took it with the other girls at the church because it would have been the way to avoid controversy. i explained to her that was her decision. that if she chose to decide to have sex before marriage all i expected was that she not feel pressured to do so and that she practice safe sex
    previously, in scouting, my son was unable to profess a belief in G-d, subsequent to earning the G-d and Me badge. after earning that badge his fellow scouts joined the sponsoring church. the scout master (an attorney) attempted to remove him from the scouts for his refusal to swear a belief in G-d. as a scout leader i was able to intervene and prevent that result. my younger daughter was aware of that incident and i wanted to make sure she was not taking the vow only to avoid what her brother had experienced, for holding to his own views

    j-mac
    would welcome your assessment
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  10. #50
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Plan B needs to stay behind the counter. It would be absurd to make it an OTC item. In some states the pharmacist can actually write the prescription for you so you can get it if you "need" it.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •