Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627
Results 261 to 264 of 264

Thread: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

  1. #261
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-03-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,589

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It's not on the shelves right now. It is behind the counter.

    The average person does do harm to themselves by abusing ibuprofen and Tylenol.

    The average person also wouldn't need to pick up pseudoephedrine from behind the counter either, since most people are not making meth, yet we still have to get it from behind there.
    By "on the shelves" I mean available without a prescription, which it is. I wasn't really able to tell your point from the rest of that. Pseudoephedrine and meth labs are another debate which doesn't relate to birth control in any way. You agree the average person does harm to themselves by abusing tylenol but you can't provide any evidence of similar harm done by abusing plan B or that people even are abusing it.

  2. #262
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Quote Originally Posted by kerussll View Post
    By "on the shelves" I mean available without a prescription, which it is. I wasn't really able to tell your point from the rest of that. Pseudoephedrine and meth labs are another debate which doesn't relate to birth control in any way. You agree the average person does harm to themselves by abusing tylenol but you can't provide any evidence of similar harm done by abusing plan B or that people even are abusing it.
    But this is about bringing Plan B from behind a pharmacist's shelf and having it available OTC. It is basically available now without a prescription. All a woman 18 or older has to do is ask the pharmacist for it, the same as if she wanted pseudoephedrine. What is the problem with that? That is where most people are arguing it should stay so that the pharmacist can at least have the opportunity to explain to whoever is getting it that it does have side effects, is meant to be used as "emergency birth control", can possibly check the person's history or give answers about Plan B, and point out that if a woman is using Plan B often that other birth control options would probably be much cheaper, if not safer.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #263
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-03-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,589

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    But this is about bringing Plan B from behind a pharmacist's shelf and having it available OTC. It is basically available now without a prescription. All a woman 18 or older has to do is ask the pharmacist for it, the same as if she wanted pseudoephedrine. What is the problem with that? That is where most people are arguing it should stay so that the pharmacist can at least have the opportunity to explain to whoever is getting it that it does have side effects, is meant to be used as "emergency birth control", can possibly check the person's history or give answers about Plan B, and point out that if a woman is using Plan B often that other birth control options would probably be much cheaper, if not safer.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with that! I lot of people on here seem to think plan B shouldn't be available without a prescription and I've been arguing that they are either misinformed about the risks or just have a problem with this kind of birth control that is not related to the health of the women taking it. Since you seemed to chime in and side with them, I assumed you were on the same page. Glad that you're not.
    Last edited by kerussll; 01-09-12 at 05:48 AM.

  4. #264
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Quote Originally Posted by kerussll View Post
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with that! I lot of people on here seem to think plan B shouldn't be available without a prescription and I've been arguing that they are either misinformed about the risks or just have a problem with this kind of birth control that is not related to the health of the women taking it. Since you seemed to chime in and side with them, I assumed you were on the same page. Glad that you're not.
    Actually, I think there are a lot of people who really want it to just be available from behind the pharmacists' counter (with a few exceptions). I believe the biggest thing for most people is just to ensure that women are getting some sort of information about what the drug is and can do. I don't believe most of those who don't want it OTC actually want a person to have to go to their doctor or to a clinic to get the prescription, then go to the pharmacy. Unless I'm reading wrong, many just want the pharmacist to control its dispensing.

    Most pharmacies have now gone to requiring that pharmacists explain the side effects of any medication they give to a person from behind the counter (it probably protects from lawsuits). This is a very good thing. And it would definitely be better than just putting the side effects for Plan B on the package and assuming they are read.

    I'd even say that pharmacists should be giving info about free or income-rated health clinics that could help a girl/woman get birth control if she needs it so that she isn't taking Plan B a lot.

    I also wouldn't mind Plan B being available at every hospital pharmacy to those who aren't raped in those instances when a pharmacy isn't open or a pharmacist available 24/7/365. The person should still only have to pay about as much or less as they would at the pharmacy, but it definitely would allow another option, which would even cover those times when the entire pharmacy/store is closed (Christmas day comes to mind) and not just the actual pharmacy drug counter.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •