Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 264

Thread: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

  1. #201
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Hey, just think. If Romney (or possibly any other Republican) is elected president, then the morning-after pill could be gone! Because that's killing a fertilized egg, which we all know is a full-grown human.

    /has flashbacks of Rachel Maddow's "man talk" explaining how hormonal BC works
    Because obviously the last Republican president made it illegal.

    President Bush Approves Over the Counter Early Abortion Pill, Pro-Life Base Decries Move | LifeSiteNews.com

  2. #202
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Hey, just think. If Romney (or possibly any other Republican) is elected president, then the morning-after pill could be gone! Because that's killing a fertilized egg, which we all know is a full-grown human.
    Better that it was illegal for everyone than that it was available on the shelf for anyone.


    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Because obviously the last Republican president made it illegal.
    LOL. Bush's second term was about as atypical of everything Conservative or Republican as one could imagine from a philosophical point of view.

  3. #203
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-03-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,589

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Quote Originally Posted by lovetosing4678 View Post
    Ya good thing you have a doctor who doesn't follow conventional methods to keep you healthy. When you start a new pill, a pelvic exam and, I believe, a pregnancy test are typically performed. I would switch doctors if I were you.
    I've had many doctors, none of whom did any of these things you're talking about because they are a waste of time. Pelvic exams are yearly only, unless you have an abnormal one. It would be very expensive and not covered by insurance to have two 3 months apart. There is no need for a pregnancy test unless you suspect pregnancy, which I never did. How is my doctor not keeping me healthy? It sounds like your doctor is just interested in sucking some extra money out of you, because these things are definitely NOT conventional methods to keep you healthy. Completely unnecessary. I would be switching doctors if I were you.

  4. #204
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-03-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,589

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    I meant a new prescription to change the drug, or dosage, or whatever, not just a new one to continue the old one. But I guess that wasn't what you meant.
    No, I have had my doctor call in a new kind of birth control when I didn't like the one I was on. Usually I just went back to my old standard one after trying a new one for a couple of months. My doctor wouldn't just call in a prescription to continue the old one without an exam, because the prescriptions last a year which is how often you need a pap smear. I always get my yearly check ups, but unless there was a major problem there'd be no reason to go back and see her to just switch pills.

  5. #205
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    07-15-12 @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    255

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Quote Originally Posted by kerussll View Post
    I've had many doctors, none of whom did any of these things you're talking about because they are a waste of time. Pelvic exams are yearly only, unless you have an abnormal one. It would be very expensive and not covered by insurance to have two 3 months apart. There is no need for a pregnancy test unless you suspect pregnancy, which I never did. How is my doctor not keeping me healthy? It sounds like your doctor is just interested in sucking some extra money out of you, because these things are definitely NOT conventional methods to keep you healthy. Completely unnecessary. I would be switching doctors if I were you.
    Once again, my doctor is a doctor at a university health center. All of the doctors there do a pelvic exam when starting a new pill. Not once again in 3 months. Read my posts. My visits to the doctor are free with tuition. The previous doctor did the same thing. It is NOT a good idea to just give someone a new prescription without sitting down with them and talking about the side effects. I provided a link and two people on this forum have now told you that is what typically happens for them when they start a new pill. It is only you that have had the experience of a doctor just calling in a new prescription. If it is the first time you are prescribed birth control then they will normally do blood work as well. When I switched doctors and I didn't want to get my papers transferred, they did the blood work. They ARE conventional methods to keep you healthy. It is necessary to talk with a doctor about why you are changing birth control and have them explain the side effects and pharmacists, as of now, are not experts on every pill and normally do not tell you about it unless you ask.

    Since we are getting off topic here... Do you believe that birth control should be offered on the shelves? So anyone could walk up to that section, say hey I like the name Yaz, I'll try that one. Next month I'll try NuvaRing! If not, they why do you support plan B being offered on the shelves? It is just a very high dosage of birth control.

  6. #206
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-03-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,589

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Once again, my doctor is a doctor at a university health center. All of the doctors there do a pelvic exam when starting a new pill. Not once again in 3 months. Read my posts. My visits to the doctor are free with tuition. The previous doctor did the same thing. It is NOT a good idea to just give someone a new prescription without sitting down with them and talking about the side effects. I provided a link and two people on this forum have now told you that is what typically happens for them when they start a new pill. It is only you that have had the experience of a doctor just calling in a new prescription. If it is the first time you are prescribed birth control then they will normally do blood work as well. When I switched doctors and I didn't want to get my papers transferred, they did the blood work. They ARE conventional methods to keep you healthy. It is necessary to talk with a doctor about why you are changing birth control and have them explain the side effects and pharmacists, as of now, are not experts on every pill and normally do not tell you about it unless you ask.
    So if you are on two different pills within a year you have to have an unnecessary extra pelvic exam? That's what you're making it sound like, but that can't be right. You do realize that all birth control pills have the same side effects? So what exactly is the point of sitting them down AGAIN and repeating all that when switching brand names? Especially when all that information is on the label to begin with. What kind of blood work did you have done for birth control? I think you are confusing getting blood work done for this prescription and getting blood work done with a regular physical. It's not standard practice to have any lab tests to monitor hormone levels.


    Since we are getting off topic here... Do you believe that birth control should be offered on the shelves? So anyone could walk up to that section, say hey I like the name Yaz, I'll try that one. Next month I'll try NuvaRing! If not, they why do you support plan B being offered on the shelves? It is just a very high dosage of birth control.
    I support the FDA's decision to offer plan B without a prescription. It's been shown to be perfectly safe. As for long term birth control pills, I do think it's a good idea for women to continue to get them from a doctor or a free clinic so they can be monitored for STDs and receive their yearly pap smear. The risk of harmful side effects such as blood clots, weight gain, depression, etc are much more strongly associated with long term use, and not plan B which is only taken once.

  7. #207
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Quote Originally Posted by kerussll View Post
    So if you are on two different pills within a year you have to have an unnecessary extra pelvic exam? That's what you're making it sound like, but that can't be right. You do realize that all birth control pills have the same side effects? So what exactly is the point of sitting them down AGAIN and repeating all that when switching brand names? Especially when all that information is on the label to begin with. What kind of blood work did you have done for birth control? I think you are confusing getting blood work done for this prescription and getting blood work done with a regular physical. It's not standard practice to have any lab tests to monitor hormone levels.
    They do not all have the same side effects. Almost all birth control pills have different levels of hormones. Some don't have hormones at all. They have some birth control pills that are mainly for women who are breast feeding that are small dose.

    In fact, there are several lawsuits against YAZ or Yasmine for severe side effects.

    It is common practice to at least talk with your doctor about why you want to change birth control pills and what the best option for birth control pills are for you based on why you wish to change, including what side effects are more important for you to avoid.

    And this is why women should need to at least get Plan B from behind the counter, because not all women will read the side effects of the drugs and hormone pills can come with some serious side effects for some women.

    Plus, what about a woman who is taking Plan B regularly? Sure, this would be stupid of her, but not everyone thinks about these things. A doctor or at least a pharmacist that notices this could easily show the woman that it would probably be better for her to get on a regular birth control pill rather than taking Plan B, and they could certainly describe all the benefits, financial and medical, of switching. I can't imagine that it would good for a woman to take Plan B once a month or more, as far as side effects go, but I could see some women doing this, especially younger women/girls.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #208
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,774

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    True as that may be, Mitt Romney vetoed the morning-after pill without prescriptions while he was governor. If his Center-to-Right flip-flop is any indication, he will stand by stances such as these.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Better that it was illegal for everyone than that it was available on the shelf for anyone.
    Plenty of countries are run according to uncivilized views such as these.

    LOL. Bush's second term was about as atypical of everything Conservative or Republican as one could imagine from a philosophical point of view.
    Absolutely false. Conservatives flocked to Bush in droves, chiding all who DARED to stand up to him. Now they are sweeping this under the rug, claiming that "he wasn't a true conservative." Sure didn't hear much of that from the Right during his time in office.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  9. #209
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post

    Absolutely false. Conservatives flocked to Bush in droves, chiding all who DARED to stand up to him. Now they are sweeping this under the rug, claiming that "he wasn't a true conservative." Sure didn't hear much of that from the Right during his time in office.
    A tthe time I would have flocked to Nixon if the alternatives were Gore and Kerry.
    Last edited by 1Perry; 12-18-11 at 10:46 PM.

  10. #210
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-03-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,589

    Re: Plan B will continue to be offered ONLY behind the counter

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    They do not all have the same side effects. Almost all birth control pills have different levels of hormones. Some don't have hormones at all. They have some birth control pills that are mainly for women who are breast feeding that are small dose.

    In fact, there are several lawsuits against YAZ or Yasmine for severe side effects.

    It is common practice to at least talk with your doctor about why you want to change birth control pills and what the best option for birth control pills are for you based on why you wish to change, including what side effects are more important for you to avoid.

    And this is why women should need to at least get Plan B from behind the counter, because not all women will read the side effects of the drugs and hormone pills can come with some serious side effects for some women.

    Plus, what about a woman who is taking Plan B regularly? Sure, this would be stupid of her, but not everyone thinks about these things. A doctor or at least a pharmacist that notices this could easily show the woman that it would probably be better for her to get on a regular birth control pill rather than taking Plan B, and they could certainly describe all the benefits, financial and medical, of switching. I can't imagine that it would good for a woman to take Plan B once a month or more, as far as side effects go, but I could see some women doing this, especially younger women/girls.
    Yes, higher doses of hormones have higher risks of side effects generally. But the list of common side effects for birth control pills (no matter what specific type of estrogen or progestin are in them) are the same. Look it up. The lawsuits against Yaz and Yasmine are for blood clots, one of the possible side effects of all birth control pills.

    Absolutely, you should talk to your doctor about minor side effects that are concerning you. I just think a mandatory check up after 3 months is a waste of time.

    Do you have evidence that anybody uses plan B monthly? Any evidence that the risks to her (besides pregnancy) would be greater than taking regular birth control pills?

    People might not read the side effects about ibuprofen and tylenol either. Nobody thinks that's a good enough reason to offer it behind the counter only. I'll say it again, if somebody wanted to kill themselves, overdosing on tylenol would be a much better bet than plan B or any other kind of birth control.
    Last edited by kerussll; 12-19-11 at 04:41 AM.

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •