Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 99

Thread: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

  1. #71
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    I still find it astounding that 30 percent of today's youth drop out of school.
    I don't find it astonishing at all. My son was well on his way to dropping out. He is very intillegent but just lost his way in the public school system. High school is really good for kids with memorization skills and who like projects and busy work. You know, the good student model that teachers love and that fit into the system. Many teachers just cannot deal with difficult and challenging students. And probably they shouldn't have to in some cases. You try to get help but the bureaucracy is hard to navigate through and justify your kid needs help. I had to eventually remove him and get him in a private school that deals with unmotivated and troubled kids. I had to cash in some IRA's to pay for it. He has now been accepted to two major universities and expects acceptance at a few more. He is a good kid with a great intellect. He made some of his own problems to be sure but he also was bullied and taken advantage of by friends and acqaintences. My son just couldn't deal with the typical immature stuff that kids do to each other.

  2. #72
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by jambalaya View Post
    I don't find it astonishing at all. My son was well on his way to dropping out. He is very intillegent but just lost his way in the public school system. High school is really good for kids with memorization skills and who like projects and busy work. You know, the good student model that teachers love and that fit into the system. Many teachers just cannot deal with difficult and challenging students. And probably they shouldn't have to in some cases. You try to get help but the bureaucracy is hard to navigate through and justify your kid needs help. I had to eventually remove him and get him in a private school that deals with unmotivated and troubled kids. I had to cash in some IRA's to pay for it. He has now been accepted to two major universities and expects acceptance at a few more. He is a good kid with a great intellect. He made some of his own problems to be sure but he also was bullied and taken advantage of by friends and acqaintences. My son just couldn't deal with the typical immature stuff that kids do to each other.
    Busy work makes up the majority of assignments in school these days. Really, it's just a babysitting service.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  3. #73
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    FWIW, the OECD has published its latest information on educational attainment: Education at a Glance 2011 | OECD Free Preview | Powered by Keepeek Digital Asset Management | www.keepeek.com

    Some highlights:

    1. The U.S. decline in higher education attainment (Bachelor's Degrees/Type A-Tertiary Education) continues. The U.S. fell from 8th to 11th in the OECD from 2008 to 2009.
    2. The 25-34-year old male cohort in the U.S. now has a lower level of college attainment than the age 55-64 cohort.
    3. The age 25-34 cohort in the U.S. is about as educated as the age 55-64 cohort (a 0.4% higher attainment level). That's tied for worst in the OECD.
    4. The increase in U.S. educational attainment from 2001 to 2009 for the age 25-34 cohort was 2.2%, 31st out of 32 OECD countries and less than one-fourth of the OECD average increase

    The bottom line is that OECD countries are moving past the U.S. That trend, if not addressed, will have broad, adverse implications for U.S. innovation and competitiveness. Gimmicks such as an overemphasis on two-year degrees and alternatives to higher education (e.g., as espoused by Charles Murray, et al.) could accelerate the relative decline in the U.S. and translate into an absolute decline (already underway among male students).

  4. #74
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    FWIW, the OECD has published its latest information on educational attainment: Education at a Glance 2011 | OECD Free Preview | Powered by Keepeek Digital Asset Management | www.keepeek.com

    Some highlights:

    1. The U.S. decline in higher education attainment (Bachelor's Degrees/Type A-Tertiary Education) continues. The U.S. fell from 8th to 11th in the OECD from 2008 to 2009.
    2. The 25-34-year old male cohort in the U.S. now has a lower level of college attainment than the age 55-64 cohort.
    3. The age 25-34 cohort in the U.S. is about as educated as the age 55-64 cohort (a 0.4% higher attainment level). That's tied for worst in the OECD.
    4. The increase in U.S. educational attainment from 2001 to 2009 for the age 25-34 cohort was 2.2%, 31st out of 32 OECD countries and less than one-fourth of the OECD average increase

    The bottom line is that OECD countries are moving past the U.S. That trend, if not addressed, will have broad, adverse implications for U.S. innovation and competitiveness. Gimmicks such as an overemphasis on two-year degrees and alternatives to higher education (e.g., as espoused by Charles Murray, et al.) could accelerate the relative decline in the U.S. and translate into an absolute decline (already underway among male students).
    Sadly, we are already seeing that trend. Aside from the current level of outsourcing, there are also many educated foreign workers flooding this country. When I think of all of the grants available to people from other countries, grants that regular Americans almost never get, it sickens me.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  5. #75
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Sadly, we are already seeing that trend. Aside from the current level of outsourcing, there are also many educated foreign workers flooding this country. When I think of all of the grants available to people from other countries, grants that regular Americans almost never get, it sickens me.
    It's not just that, at least for me.
    I want to finish school, but every time I attend, it's the same old crap.

    I don't feel like I'm learning anything, it seriously deprives me of sleep and I wonder why I'm putting myself through this.
    Plus all the nonsensical busy work, I don't always have time for.

    They don't make education dynamic enough, to attract enough people.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #76
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    It's not just that, at least for me.
    I want to finish school, but every time I attend, it's the same old crap.

    I don't feel like I'm learning anything, it seriously deprives me of sleep and I wonder why I'm putting myself through this.
    Plus all the nonsensical busy work, I don't always have time for.

    They don't make education dynamic enough, to attract enough people.
    I get it. I'm going back to college for a nursing degree, and I've had to waste two semesters on core classes that wouldn't transfer from my other college. It was painfully boring. Just pull through it, and hopefully it'll pay off. I tell you what else really sucks. Asshole "Professors" with a power trip are even worse.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    I get it. I'm going back to college for a nursing degree, and I've had to waste two semesters on core classes that wouldn't transfer from my other college. It was painfully boring. Just pull through it, and hopefully it'll pay off. I tell you what else really sucks. Asshole "Professors" with a power trip are even worse.
    Good for you and hopefully someone can explain the wisdom of you having to repeat these two years.

  8. #78
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Good for you and hopefully someone can explain the wisdom of you having to repeat these two years.
    Don't need them to. I made a mistake the first time around by choosing the college and degree I chose. End of story.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Don't need them to. I made a mistake the first time around by choosing the college and degree I chose. End of story.
    It shouldn't matter. The classes should transfer if the idea is to make college more affordable, not just about how we can make others pay for it.

  10. #80
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    It shouldn't matter. The classes should transfer if the idea is to make college more affordable, not just about how we can make others pay for it.
    My first college was a non accredited, Christian college.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •