Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 99

Thread: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

  1. #41
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post

    My answer? The U.S.'s addiction to low skilled labor.
    Is it an addiction to low skilled labor? Or an addiction to low paid labor? Because those are two mutually exclusive things.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  2. #42
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    If we shift the "drop out" question to college level, weren't both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs both college dropouts? They both became mega billionaires and redefined all of communications, electronics and socialization.

  3. #43
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    That's true, I just wish that they designed school in a way that encouraged you to complete it for more reasons, than you just should.
    Telling a kid that, "you should just do it" or "you have to do it", is a crappy way to motivate.
    That sounds like: "because I said so!" And I've actually caught myself saying that to my kids.

    I am seriously considering homeschooling if I can't afford private school for my kids. Public schools suck.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  4. #44
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    That sounds like: "because I said so!" And I've actually caught myself saying that to my kids.

    I am seriously considering homeschooling if I can't afford private school for my kids. Public schools suck.
    We do it.
    It's a challenge and it costs us more in both potential income and in education materials, but in my opinion it's well worth it.

    Our older son is a well mannered and generally excellent kid.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #45
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Yes - very good. But the article doens't discuss college. It discusses high school drop out rates.

    So: your point is . . . ??

    I think the issues with education is that it's been given such a fashoinable negative - most people just don't value it.
    I don't think that's true at all. I think most people value an education.

    The only thing is there's a difference between a technical education and an academic education.

    The real pay is not in an academic education anymore, and has been declining over the years. The only reason why college students get a degree in English Literature or Art History is so that they can try to get a job teaching it to other English Literature or Art History students who will try to get a job teaching it.

    What we need to focus on is a technical education. Civil engineering degrees. Industrial chemistry degrees. Computer science degrees.

    Even on a lower level we need welders, mechanics, and truck drivers. Those all require skills of various sorts. And they can, eventually, allow a motivated person to start his own small business in those fields.

    But a lot of 20-somethings aren't that patient. Rather, they'd rather try to make it big fast via media fame of some sort. And when we pay celebrities millions to just be celebrities, I'm not surprised at that.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I don't think that's true at all. I think most people value an education.

    The only thing is there's a difference between a technical education and an academic education.

    The real pay is not in an academic education anymore, and has been declining over the years. The only reason why college students get a degree in English Literature or Art History is so that they can try to get a job teaching it to other English Literature or Art History students who will try to get a job teaching it.

    What we need to focus on is a technical education. Civil engineering degrees. Industrial chemistry degrees. Computer science degrees.

    Even on a lower level we need welders, mechanics, and truck drivers. Those all require skills of various sorts. And they can, eventually, allow a motivated person to start his own small business in those fields.

    But a lot of 20-somethings aren't that patient. Rather, they'd rather try to make it big fast via media fame of some sort. And when we pay celebrities millions to just be celebrities, I'm not surprised at that.
    Some of those technical skills don't even require an education.
    Hell it took me 15 minutes to learn to mig weld, time on the job perfected it.

    The problem is that many employers are using degrees and certifications as gate keepers, instead of more dynamic ways of testing competency.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #47
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    I still find it astounding that 30 percent of today's youth drop out of school.

  8. #48
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Some of those technical skills don't even require an education.
    Hell it took me 15 minutes to learn to mig weld, time on the job perfected it.

    The problem is that many employers are using degrees and certifications as gate keepers, instead of more dynamic ways of testing competency.
    That is because wire feed is easy as hell. You point and shoot. You could teach anyone in a day. Employers generally do not have the time/money to train everyone, and if they do they want to make damn sure they are not going to waste their time on that person. There are extremely good reasons why employers use prereqs like degrees. It signals many things about a person aptitude, work ethic, etc. Employers don't have the time or money to see if you will be a good employee, that and they assume a massive amount of risk and liability just from highering you.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    That is because wire feed is easy as hell. You point and shoot. You could teach anyone in a day.
    It is, but then again I've seen a lot of people fail at learning it quickly.
    Just my experience.

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    Employers generally do not have the time/money to train everyone, and if they do they want to make damn sure they are not going to waste their time on that person. There are extremely good reasons why employers use prereqs like degrees. It signals many things about a person aptitude, work ethic, etc. Employers don't have the time or money to see if you will be a good employee, that and they assume a massive amount of risk and liability just from highering you.
    I understand, but there should be more varied ways of testing competency.
    Using a degree or cert is incomplete.
    It does not account for those who rapid process and utilize information, it does not prove good problem solving skills, work ethic, etc.

    Degrees have become superfluous because they are institutionalized and regimented.
    Basically, follow these steps, you win a degree.
    That doesn't show that the person is a good problem solver, good manager, has good people skills, etc.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #50
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    It is, but then again I've seen a lot of people fail at learning it quickly.
    Just my experience.



    I understand, but there should be more varied ways of testing competency.
    Using a degree or cert is incomplete.
    It does not account for those who rapid process and utilize information, it does not prove good problem solving skills, work ethic, etc.

    Degrees have become superfluous because they are institutionalized and regimented.
    Basically, follow these steps, you win a degree.
    That doesn't show that the person is a good problem solver, good manager, has good people skills, etc.
    Education pays; there really is no way of denying it!



    The U.S. will require an even greater emphasis on education if we wish to remain competitive in the globalized information based economy of the present and future.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •