Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 99

Thread: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

  1. #31
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Although I understand your point, I disagree for this reason; we need to improve the quality of our high school education. College is not a place to learn what you should have learned in high school, and that's what it is becoming through the community college system. Our pathetic public education system is such a failure, that community colleges and even universities are having to teach remedial courses, and teach courses that ought to have been taught in high school.

    But if the problem is high dropout rates in high school, the college isn't even an option because they are still in high school. Middle and high school are where we need to focus our energy. That's where the problem lies.
    I had to take remedial courses in math, because in high school the teachers did nothing to motivate me.
    Of course I share in the blame too, I should of just did it, but then again most kids try to finish in order to finish, not because learning the material is interesting to them.

    I learned more about writing and math, in 1 semester of tech school than I did in middle and high school.
    In my opinion, my pre college school experience was abhorrent.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #32
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Exactly. My husband dropped out because of boredom, and obtained his GED. People can easily get into a state college with a GED and then transfer to a better college after finishing their core classes with a good GPA. And it's cheaper to do it like that.
    Exactly, although I've found college to be just as redundant and wasteful as high school.
    It's been a challenge to get motivated enough to finish up.

    Why do they even bother to skills test us through out primary school, if they don't use those scores to put kids in advance placement or different classes.
    In 8th grade I scored a collegiate reading level, yet I was left in 8th grade language arts.
    It doesn't make any sense.

    My GED scores reflected a similar trend.
    I scored in the top 1% in 2 categories, top 20% in 2 others and only barely passed 1 (my writing skills were the worst for a long time.)
    Last edited by Harry Guerrilla; 12-08-11 at 05:10 PM.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #33
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    From CNBC:



    News Headlines

    This new data further debunks emerging arguments that the U.S. should de-emphasize a college education. It is consistent with the already large body of evidence showing higher lifetime earnings and greater job stability for those who have college degrees.
    What is not measured is the cost if troublesome and disruptive students instead continue to attend school. I suspect most dropouts also have severe behavioral issues for which continued presence would only be disruptive. The studies also do not consider that a sizeable percentage of teens are intellectually "slow learners" incapable of the the required coursed to mean the required test scores to advance in school or to graduate.

    People with college degrees earning higher income might because people with mental disabilities or limited capability are obviously counted non-college category.

    The simplistic conclusions of studies often aren't so simple at all.

    An interesting study would be to determine the average salary of a person under age 35 who becomes a manufacturers certified auto or diesel mechanic versus the average person under age 35 with a Bachelors degree - or the average income of someone who has a career in the military versus people with a Bachelors degree. I draw the age line because the game was different for those who got in it in older generations.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    What is not measured is the cost if troublesome and disruptive students instead continue to attend school. I suspect most dropouts also have severe behavioral issues for which continued presence would only be disruptive. The studies also do not consider that a sizeable percentage of teens are intellectually "slow learners" incapable of the the required coursed to mean the required test scores to advance in school or to graduate.

    People with college degrees earning higher income might because people with mental disabilities or limited capability are obviously counted non-college category.

    The simplistic conclusions of studies often aren't so simple at all.

    An interesting study would be to determine the average salary of a person under age 35 who becomes a manufacturers certified auto or diesel mechanic versus the average person under age 35 with a Bachelors degree - or the average income of someone who has a career in the military versus people with a Bachelors degree. I draw the age line because the game was different for those who got in it in older generations.
    Not all drop outs are slow learners or disruptive.
    I think the estimate is that 5% are in the gifted level, which is a huge problem, because it's allowing potential talent to fall by the way side.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #35
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I had to take remedial courses in math, because in high school the teachers did nothing to motivate me.
    Of course I share in the blame too, I should of just did it, but then again most kids try to finish in order to finish, not because learning the material is interesting to them.

    I learned more about writing and math, in 1 semester of tech school than I did in middle and high school.
    In my opinion, my pre college school experience was abhorrent.
    Same here. Except that the first degree I got was in History/ Poli Sci so i didn't take any math at all. In HS, I was behind because my parents moved all the time and every different school I went to had a different curriculum. So ten years later, I started back in college. My liberal arts degree (from an unaccredited Christian college no less) was basically worthless, so I decided to go back for Nursing. I had to take a couple of remedial classes in math to catch back up. I actually learned more in those two courses than all the math I took in junior high and in high school. Aside from the fact that Algebra is a useless subject, at least I did well. Now, I'm finishing up Probability and Statistics, and I have found that this class actually has some applicable skills to real life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Exactly, although I've found college to be just as redundant and wasteful as high school.
    It's been a challenge to get motivated enough to finish up.

    Why do they even bother to skills test us through out primary school, if they don't use those scores to put kids in advance placement or different classes.
    In 8th grade I scored a collegiate reading level, yet I was left in 8th grade language arts.
    It doesn't make any sense.

    My GED scores reflected a similar trend.
    I scored in the top 1% in 2 categories, top 20% in 2 others and only barely passed 1 (my writing skills were the worst for a long time.)
    My husband did the same. Scored very high on his GED despite having dropped out of school his freshman year at 14. He even qualified for some free credits in college. He basically taught himself everything he needed to know.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    I'll never understand why some people think fighting against education is a good thing.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Same here. Except that the first degree I got was in History/ Poli Sci so i didn't take any math at all. In HS, I was behind because my parents moved all the time and every different school I went to had a different curriculum. So ten years later, I started back in college. My liberal arts degree (from an unaccredited Christian college no less) was basically worthless, so I decided to go back for Nursing. I had to take a couple of remedial classes in math to catch back up. I actually learned more in those two courses than all the math I took in junior high and in high school. Aside from the fact that Algebra is a useless subject, at least I did well. Now, I'm finishing up Probability and Statistics, and I have found that this class actually has some applicable skills to real life.
    Completely agree.
    Factoring, absolute values, etc is a turgid waste, I much rather learn probably and statistics.
    I understand that they teach all this math, to actually teach logic, but so many people don't learn logic this way.

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    My husband did the same. Scored very high on his GED despite having dropped out of school his freshman year at 14. He even qualified for some free credits in college. He basically taught himself everything he needed to know.
    I was failing in high school, didn't do the home work mostly and was tutoring the kids in my classes that I was failing, to pass the time.
    I didn't get any free credits though.

    Passed my poli sci final with a 96 after spending 1 day in class.
    Still had to sit through the rest of the class.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #38
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    I'll never understand why some people think fighting against education is a good thing.
    A lot of people are fighting against the rigid structure of institutional education.
    There is a big difference between that and fighting against education, in general.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #39
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Completely agree.
    Factoring, absolute values, etc is a turgid waste, I much rather learn probably and statistics.
    I understand that they teach all this math, to actually teach logic, but so many people don't learn logic this way.



    I was failing in high school, didn't do the home work mostly and was tutoring the kids in my classes that I was failing, to pass the time.
    I didn't get any free credits though.

    Passed my poli sci final with a 96 after spending 1 day in class.
    Still had to sit through the rest of the class.
    lol school was soooo boring. i almost never did my homework. I spent a lot of time getting high. I did well on tests, and poorly on homework and projects. Still, I wish I had the wisdom I have now, and applied myself. I could have gotten scholarships to go to college on instead of taking out loans.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  10. #40
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    lol school was soooo boring. i almost never did my homework. I spent a lot of time getting high. I did well on tests, and poorly on homework and projects. Still, I wish I had the wisdom I have now, and applied myself. I could have gotten scholarships to go to college on instead of taking out loans.
    That's true, I just wish that they designed school in a way that encouraged you to complete it for more reasons, than you just should.
    Telling a kid that, "you should just do it" or "you have to do it", is a crappy way to motivate.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •