Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 99

Thread: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

  1. #21
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Using an OECD comparison, that the U.S. is way behind in college completion rates is simply a matter of fact. Why is it that we do not see constant rates of completion across all OECD nations?

    My answer? The U.S.'s addiction to low skilled labor.
    Yes - very good. But the article doens't discuss college. It discusses high school drop out rates.

    So: your point is . . . ??

    I think the issues with education is that it's been given such a fashoinable negative - most people just don't value it.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #22
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,883

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    From CNBC:



    News Headlines

    This new data further debunks emerging arguments that the U.S. should de-emphasize a college education. It is consistent with the already large body of evidence showing higher lifetime earnings and greater job stability for those who have college degrees.
    Obviously we need to mandate that people attend college then.

  3. #23
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:10 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,935

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Where does the money go when a large percent of the students drop out?
    It's nothing more than X's and O's.

  4. #24
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    From CNBC:



    News Headlines

    This new data further debunks emerging arguments that the U.S. should de-emphasize a college education. It is consistent with the already large body of evidence showing higher lifetime earnings and greater job stability for those who have college degrees.
    I don't think you can pull much regarding college out of this article. However, current efforts to cut the number of teachers and/or their benefits certainly don't seem to further the purpose of keeping kids in school. And in light of this article, those objectives don't seem likely to accomplish the goal of reducing government costs either.

    But I think most people knew that already. Besides the issue of tenure, which just about everybody agrees is a horrendously stupid idea, the attack on teachers is really just an attempt to destroy a powerful group that helps fund the Democratic party. Tie it together with redistricting and voter ID laws and the corruption of our current government becomes clear.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    11-28-17 @ 04:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,690

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Obviously we need to mandate that people attend college then.
    No such mandates should be given. The proper role for policy would be to maximize opportunities and incentives for students to attend and complete college while reducing incentives for alternatives. For example, the formula for financial aid for students who choose to attend a four-year college could be more generous than any assistance for non-college alternatives. Part of the evaluation of secondary school systems could be based not just on the percentage of students who go on to college, but also the percentages who complete their college education in 4 and 6 years benchmarked against peer schools (similar socioeconomic and demographic characteristics, etc.).

    The former would be a federal approach. The latter would be more of a state-based approach. Those are just two examples and they fall far short of the broad range of reforms that could be introduced with the overall goal of increasing college attendance and timely attainment of a college degree.

  6. #26
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,883

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    No such mandates should be given. The proper role for policy would be to maximize opportunities and incentives for students to attend and complete college while reducing incentives for alternatives. For example, the formula for financial aid for students who choose to attend a four-year college could be more generous than any assistance for non-college alternatives. Part of the evaluation of secondary school systems could be based not just on the percentage of students who go on to college, but also the percentages who complete their college education in 4 and 6 years benchmarked against peer schools (similar socioeconomic and demographic characteristics, etc.).

    The former would be a federal approach. The latter would be more of a state-based approach. Those are just two examples and they fall far short of the broad range of reforms that could be introduced with the overall goal of increasing college attendance and timely attainment of a college degree.
    If everyone has a college degree, then what's the point?

    Reminds me of some good graffiti


  7. #27
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    They're not talking about college goers - pass or fail. They're talking about teens who drop out of high school and who don't usually go onto college.

    I think it's the other way aorund though: I think the dropping out is reflective of their choices and values in life already - not for everyone - but for many. If they drop out it's because their life was already unraveling. The article suggests that they drop out: and then their life falls apart because of that - which is wrong.

    Drop out rates are alos highly reflective of the age-disparity. . . Once you're age 18 (and usually this is the age for students to be seniors) the sense of 'individual adult' kicks in and many immediately jump ship and try to be independent because - legally - they can. Legally - their parents can't compell them and, being parents, make little effort to lay down their own parental law.

    So - Instead of stitching this together with college statistics. . .this should be stitched together with trying to figure out ways of circumventing the reasons why students drop out and trying to shorten the amount of time you're expected to spend in school is definitely worth looking into.
    Good points. More alternatives that are not on a college track would be helpful. Cut out the fluff and educate some of the kids in a way they can keep up, stay interested, and learn real world skills. Maybe if some of these kids weren't so bored or out of place they might stick with it.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by jambalaya View Post
    Good points. More alternatives that are not on a college track would be helpful. Cut out the fluff and educate some of the kids in a way they can keep up, stay interested, and learn real world skills. Maybe if some of these kids weren't so bored or out of place they might stick with it.
    I have stated many years, as far back as I can remember that the solution to education lies in the minds of those being educated. Aptitude testing is a worth while form of understanding where children excel, and where they do not. Gauging interest levels is also appropriate. As kids we seem to do well, or best in the classes we like, and mediocre in classes we do not like. Our failures in those unliked classes are not necessarily reflective of our intellectual capacity, but almost exclusively of our willingness to like that which we do not like. So, as parents we force our kids to eat peas when they tell us they don't like the tase. And what does that accomplish for us in the end? Absolutley nothing, when all that needed to be done was instead of peas we feed them corn.. Catch my drift?

    Want to fix education in this country.. Start by testing kids for their aptitude, and keep testing them. Educate them on what they are interested in.. The one size fits all mentality that is our education system is woefully misguided. Teach them to read and to write, and to make calculations. After that, lets really make an effort to try and understand what it is they are most likely to excel at.

    You can take the 1000's, millions of papers written by blow hards, and upitty types on the correct way to educate, and make a fire with it. Wasted space if you ask me. The solution is simple, but no one is listening!


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  9. #29
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    A lot of people drop out because the schooling environment is not dynamic enough to keep many people interested.
    There are lots of classes that are a waste of time and effort, the same goes for college.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #30
    ¡Selah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Cost of High School Dropouts Draining US Taxpayer

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Obviously we need to mandate that people attend college then.
    Who said anything about making it mandatory?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    A lot of people drop out because the schooling environment is not dynamic enough to keep many people interested.
    There are lots of classes that are a waste of time and effort, the same goes for college.
    Exactly. My husband dropped out because of boredom, and obtained his GED. People can easily get into a state college with a GED and then transfer to a better college after finishing their core classes with a good GPA. And it's cheaper to do it like that.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •