Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 89

Thread: Obama Elevates Gay Rights as a Foreign Policy Priority

  1. #41
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,312

    Re: Obama Elevates Gay Rights as a Foreign Policy Priority

    It's about time he started doing something that I believe most of the US can agree on. Good job.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    01-09-12 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: Obama Elevates Gay Rights as a Foreign Policy Priority

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Why not?

    123
    Marriage
    First off it is repulsive. Secondly it goes against nature. Third they can't procreate to continue the species.

    Adopting
    Adopting a child would serve to make that child grow up on the defensive and grow up confused. Children love those who take care of them and they attempt to emulate those adults. This is nothing to emulate, it is to be scorned. Everyone it seems wants to be nice, they have feelings...well it is beyond difficult to explain to a 9 year old why two men are French kissing or even begin to validate their actions.

    Serving in Military
    Causes untold issues and problems. Lack of trust for one. Fear of becoming remotely friendly as people might ponder the association.

    Let them run furniture stores and fashion outlets and design doilies.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Obama Elevates Gay Rights as a Foreign Policy Priority

    Quote Originally Posted by coolwalker View Post
    Marriage
    First off it is repulsive. Secondly it goes against nature. Third they can't procreate to continue the species.
    So? Why can't they get married? Marriage has nothing to do with any of that. Repulsive is a value judgement and can't be held to each other. Goes against nature is a perception judgement and essentially ignores all the gay sex going on in the Animal Kingdom. Can't procreate doesn't matter, we're at replacement as it stands and there's more orphans than people willing to adopt.

    Quote Originally Posted by coolwalker View Post
    Adopting
    Adopting a child would serve to make that child grow up on the defensive and grow up confused. Children love those who take care of them and they attempt to emulate those adults. This is nothing to emulate, it is to be scorned. Everyone it seems wants to be nice, they have feelings...well it is beyond difficult to explain to a 9 year old why two men are French kissing or even begin to validate their actions.
    Why is it hard? This is nothing more than your opinion. And while you are free to hold it, it certainly doesn't make for a proper basis of law.

    Quote Originally Posted by coolwalker View Post
    Serving in Military
    Causes untold issues and problems. Lack of trust for one. Fear of becoming remotely friendly as people might ponder the association.
    Says you. Any proof, or is this more assumption and suppostition on your part. In the end you're seeking the use of government force to uphold your assumption and supposition, which IMO is well worse than being gay.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #44
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Elevates Gay Rights as a Foreign Policy Priority

    Quite possibly one of the stupidest posts in the history of this forum.:

    Quote Originally Posted by coolwalker View Post
    Marriage
    First off it is repulsive. Secondly it goes against nature. Third they can't procreate to continue the species.
    Repulsive is opinion and worthless. Marriage is not natural. Procreation is not a requirement for marriage, and gays can and do procreate.

    Adopting
    Adopting a child would serve to make that child grow up on the defensive and grow up confused. Children love those who take care of them and they attempt to emulate those adults. This is nothing to emulate, it is to be scorned. Everyone it seems wants to be nice, they have feelings...well it is beyond difficult to explain to a 9 year old why two men are French kissing or even begin to validate their actions.
    The current research shows that children growing up raised by two gays have the same level of success that children raised by two strait people. You do not know what you are talking about. What you find hard, many/most people would find easy.

    Serving in Military
    Causes untold issues and problems. Lack of trust for one. Fear of becoming remotely friendly as people might ponder the association.

    Let them run furniture stores and fashion outlets and design doilies.
    You have never met a gay person have you? A large portion of gay men are more "manly" than you could ever hope to achieve. Gays have been serving in the military for many many years, the problems you claim have not shown up.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #45
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Obama Elevates Gay Rights as a Foreign Policy Priority

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    It's good thing I didn't say that we did stone LGBT people.
    Those specific words didn't come out of your mouth, but you still definitely said it.

    You stated:

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Well, our government usually tells other nations to live by standards that it exempts itself from, so I don't see why this should be any different.
    From the article, what standard is "our government" telling other nations to "live by"?

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    He said he has been "deeply concerned" by violence and discrimination targeting LGBT persons. He cited foreign laws criminalizing LGBT status, the beating of LGBT citizens for joining peaceful celebrations, and the killing of men, women and children for their perceived sexual orientation.
    Why look at that, it seems the "standard" our government is telling other nations to "live by" is one where they don't condone violence and discrimination targetting LGBT people, crimilizing their status as such, or beating and killing them for their sexual orientaiton.

    Yes, how dare we exempt ourselves from that standard.

    You think we need to do more in this country in regards to LGBT rights? Cool, more power to you. No problem there. But to suggest that what he's stating abroad...that we should suggest to countries that its not okay criminalize being gay, to beat people for being gay, to kill people for being gay because we "exempt ourselves" from that standard is ****ing retarded

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    01-09-12 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: Obama Elevates Gay Rights as a Foreign Policy Priority

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    So? Why can't they get married? Marriage has nothing to do with any of that. Repulsive is a value judgement and can't be held to each other. Goes against nature is a perception judgement and essentially ignores all the gay sex going on in the Animal Kingdom. Can't procreate doesn't matter, we're at replacement as it stands and there's more orphans than people willing to adopt.
    Why is it hard? This is nothing more than your opinion. And while you are free to hold it, it certainly doesn't make for a proper basis of law.
    Says you. Any proof, or is this more assumption and suppostition on your part. In the end you're seeking the use of government force to uphold your assumption and supposition, which IMO is well worse than being gay.
    I am seeking nothing from no one, especially not from a politically correct BS administration. I am simply stating what I feel. If you notice the Thread is about Obama seeking something, not me.

  7. #47
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Obama Elevates Gay Rights as a Foreign Policy Priority

    Quote Originally Posted by coolwalker View Post
    Marriage
    First off it is repulsive. Secondly it goes against nature. Third they can't procreate to continue the species.
    1. Opinion that varies by person
    2. No, it doesn't. Marriage in and of itself isn't found in "nature" but is a creation of society. If you mean homosexuality goes against nature, again, no it doesn't its something distinctly found in nature
    3. Yes, they absolutely can procreate. They can not concieve child together, however they are able to procreate. And procreation isn't required for marriage to begin with.

    Adopting
    Adopting a child would serve to make that child grow up on the defensive and grow up confused. Children love those who take care of them and they attempt to emulate those adults. This is nothing to emulate, it is to be scorned. Everyone it seems wants to be nice, they have feelings...well it is beyond difficult to explain to a 9 year old why two men are French kissing or even begin to validate their actions.
    Multiple studies suggest quite the opposite with regards to the cihld growing up. Additionally, the child growing up "on the defensive and confused" is useless in and of itself without comparing it to how the child could potentially have grown up otherwise (for example, if its a foster child, if it grew up in the foster system for a decade instead). While children to tend to emulate adults that they love or respect, there's no more reason to believe they'll attempt to "emulate" being gay than they would to "emulate" whatever job their parent does or a particular personality trait like honesty, integrity, or humor that they may have. To say there's "nothing to emulate" in a gay person is ridiculous ignorant. And I don't know about you, but I generally don't feel like explaining to a 9 year old why anyone is french kissing.

    Serving in Military
    Causes untold issues and problems. Lack of trust for one. Fear of becoming remotely friendly as people might ponder the association.
    First, you state "causes" as if there's some kind of fact there. Its unknown how it would affect the military right now. There's reasonable guesses made through surveys and studies, but no real facts to say that it "Causes" those things like you state.

    Let them run furniture stores and fashion outlets and design doilies.
    Jesus, next are you going to say women need to be barefoot and pregnant while in the kitchen making you a sandwich.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Obama Elevates Gay Rights as a Foreign Policy Priority

    Quote Originally Posted by coolwalker View Post
    I am seeking nothing from no one, especially not from a politically correct BS administration. I am simply stating what I feel. If you notice the Thread is about Obama seeking something, not me.
    Fair enough, and true so long as you've never supported/voted for legislation against same sex marriage. Otherwise, you have most certainly endorsed/promoted the use of government force against others concerning the free exercise of rights.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #49
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Obama Elevates Gay Rights as a Foreign Policy Priority

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Repulsive is opinion and worthless. Marriage is not natural. Procreation is not a requirement for marriage, and gays can and do procreate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    1. Opinion that varies by person
    2. No, it doesn't. Marriage in and of itself isn't found in "nature" but is a creation of society. If you mean homosexuality goes against nature, again, no it doesn't its something distinctly found in nature
    3. Yes, they absolutely can procreate. They can not concieve child together, however they are able to procreate. And procreation isn't required for marriage to begin with.
    Get out of my head! GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

  10. #50
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Obama Elevates Gay Rights as a Foreign Policy Priority

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Those specific words didn't come out of your mouth, but you still definitely said it.
    First of all, I find it funny that several other people have said the same thing as I did (the 2nd comment of the thread by the way), but for some reason you only take issue with my comment. Second of all, no I didn't say it. Quote it or take it back. It's not my fault you inferred something that wasn't there. It's clear that other people understood that I wasn't accusing our government of stoning gay people, so you're clearly the one with the problem.

    You stated:

    From the article, what standard is "our government" telling other nations to "live by"?
    How about this: "No country should deny people their rights to freedom of speech and freedom of religion, but also no country should deny people their rights because of who they love, which is why we must stand up for the rights of gays and lesbians everywhere," he said.

    How about the fact that he said he's "concerned" about discrimination with LGBT people?

    Last I checked, the US government denies LGBT people rights and discriminate against them because of "who they love".

    Why look at that, it seems the "standard" our government is telling other nations to "live by" is one where they don't condone violence and discrimination targetting LGBT people, crimilizing their status as such, or beating and killing them for their sexual orientaiton.

    Yes, how dare we exempt ourselves from that standard.

    You think we need to do more in this country in regards to LGBT rights? Cool, more power to you. No problem there. But to suggest that what he's stating abroad...that we should suggest to countries that its not okay criminalize being gay, to beat people for being gay, to kill people for being gay because we "exempt ourselves" from that standard is ****ing retarded
    If you felt the need to infer some bull**** from my post, then you should have asked me to clarify rather than making dumbass assumptions. Again, Obama said other countries need to stop discriminating and denying people rights because of "who they love". The United States does both. We shouldn't be asking anyone to either until we rectify that problem.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •