Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Russian voters deal Putin an election blow

  1. #1
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Russian voters deal Putin an election blow

    Vladimir Putin's ruling party suffered a big drop in support in a parliamentary election on Sunday, exit polls showed, as voters signaled their growing unease with his domination of Russian politics before a planned return to the presidency next year.
    Two exit polls suggested Putin's party, United Russia, would win 45.5 and or 48.5 percent of the votes in the election to the State Duma compared with 64.3 percent in 2007 and that it could struggle even to hold on to a majority in the chamber.


    I hope he loses couldnt happen to a better person...but it most likely wont happen..I wouldnt put dirty deals and election fraud and possibly murder of the realm of putin and his allies.


    Russian voters deal Putin an election blow | Reuters

  2. #2
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Russian voters deal Putin an election blow

    It would be a good step forward for Russia if they can get rid of Putin, but unfortunately I am as pessimistic as you are about that actually happening. My theory is that the only reason he was ever popular in the first place was because his predecessors were so awful. Russians were comparing him to Boris Yeltsin and to the Soviets, so he just looked good in comparison. But compared to leaders of other countries, Putin has been a disaster for Russia.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #3
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Russian voters deal Putin an election blow

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Vladimir Putin's ruling party suffered a big drop in support in a parliamentary election on Sunday, exit polls showed, as voters signaled their growing unease with his domination of Russian politics before a planned return to the presidency next year.
    Two exit polls suggested Putin's party, United Russia, would win 45.5 and or 48.5 percent of the votes in the election to the State Duma compared with 64.3 percent in 2007 and that it could struggle even to hold on to a majority in the chamber.


    I hope he loses couldnt happen to a better person...but it most likely wont happen..I wouldnt put dirty deals and election fraud and possibly murder of the realm of putin and his allies.


    Russian voters deal Putin an election blow | Reuters
    Well, this isn't as much of a godsend as it appears to be.

    Currently, Putin is the Prime Minister of Russia. If I read Wikipedia right, the PM is appointed by the President with the consent of the State Duma, which is the lower house of the Federal Assembly, the Russian legislature. If the President's appointment to the Prime Minister is rejected by the State Duma 3 times then the President may dissolve the State Duma, call for new elections, and appoint the Prime Minister without the participation of the State Duma. There are a few exceptions to this, however.

    So the President has a lot of power in selecting the Prime Minister. But Putin is PM only because nobody may serve as President for more than 2 consecutive terms. So after Medvedev's term Putin plans to run again for President. So how is the President chosen?

    The President of Russia seems to be elected by national popular vote. This election seems to have multiple candidates. If none of those candidates get a simple majority, then a second round of the election is done between the 2 candidates with the most votes from the first round.

    So since Putin is running for President of Russia in 2012, all he needs is a simple majority of the national popular vote in a two-round system. Since United Russia has a 45-48% of the vote, it is likely that Putin will have a plurality of votes. Which means that if he does not get the simple majority in the national popular vote then he will definitely be a candidate in the second round of the Presidential election.

    So in regards to the Presidency the issue will come down to how much people hate Putin over how competent voters think the next most popular guy is. If voters have more in common with Putin than whoever the opposition candidate is then Putin will gain the Russian Presidency again.

    On the other hand, even if Putin gains the Presidency his party may still lack a majority in the State Duma. However, it will still likely have a plurality. Which means that United Russia will still have sizable power in the State Duma, though it may have to make some concessions to the other parties in order to get anything passed.

    And all of this assumes, of course, that anything the government does actually matters when too much of the country is run by the Mafiya and those gangster will run the country however they want anyways.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  4. #4
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Russian voters deal Putin an election blow

    Looks like it's already starting.

    AFP: Websites downed in Russia poll hack attack
    Last edited by Kandahar; 12-04-11 at 06:28 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #5
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Russian voters deal Putin an election blow

    Yeltsin wasn't that bad. He was just handed an incredibly bad situation. No matter how superior market based economies are to planned ones, it's going to take time to adjust when the whole system comes crashing down.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  6. #6
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    ATL
    Last Seen
    07-07-12 @ 09:00 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Russian voters deal Putin an election blow

    Apparently the Russians are smarter now than the Americans were in 2008.
    I love the smell of burning moonbat in the morning.

  7. #7
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Russian voters deal Putin an election blow

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    Yeltsin wasn't that bad. He was just handed an incredibly bad situation. No matter how superior market based economies are to planned ones, it's going to take time to adjust when the whole system comes crashing down.
    Indeed. The Russian economy was non-capitalist for just under a century. That means the Russian people have very little cultural and institutional memories of dealing with capitalism. Naturally, bad **** is gonna happen to them.

    I feel deeply sorry for them for having to make such a harsh adjustment and that such a large number of people are affected by it.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  8. #8
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Russian voters deal Putin an election blow

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Indeed. The Russian economy was non-capitalist for just under a century. That means the Russian people have very little cultural and institutional memories of dealing with capitalism. Naturally, bad **** is gonna happen to them.

    I feel deeply sorry for them for having to make such a harsh adjustment and that such a large number of people are affected by it.
    Plus, there is the inevitable inflation and/or deflation needed to get prices to market levels, need for people to find new jobs, and time for new businesses to pop up. Things were turning around by the late 1990's. Yeltsin did the best he could do by devaluing the Ruble. When the effects of the devaluation, the end of the adjustment to capitalism, greater establishment of the rule of law, and high oil prices made the Russian economy, Putin took the credit, despite having very little to do with Russia's success.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,678

    Re: Russian voters deal Putin an election blow

    one of two things is going to happen : Putin will be president again, or Putin will be president again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •