Page 84 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast
Results 831 to 840 of 1443

Thread: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

  1. #831
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What I find hypocritical is that you and others ignore the cost of what you call an improving economy so apparently 24 plus million unemployed and under employed Americans at a cost of 4.5 trillion dollars is the sign that things are improving. The American people are going to ask themselves are they better off in 2012 than they are today and if the results are as they are today the answer will be no and your community organizer President will be a one termer.
    I think what the american people are going to ask is why did the republicans they voted into office take a pledge to support a lobbyist, don't you think that if they wanted Grover to represent them they would have voted for Grover?

  2. #832
    User The Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-07-12 @ 02:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    133

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Why would you want to raise taxes on anyone. Still waiting for you to explain how tax cuts are an expense to the Govt?
    XD

    Do you even know the purpose of taxes? They're the government's way of acquiring funds. Naturally, cutting taxes would mean less money for the government. Sheesh.

  3. #833
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Let's see if I have this right, you as a consumer believe that you keeping more of what you earn is an expense to the govt? "Your" President approved the extension of the Bush tax cuts and if you feel like you should pay the govt. more, just do it. What is stopping you?
    What President Bush did not realize is that you have to prime the middle class if you expect to promote job creation, it's the middle class consumer that energises the creation of jobs or maybe he just wanted to create the wealth divide we see today. At any rate it is apparent that the republican conservative base is anti job creation, well maybe I am wrong maybe they are pro job creation as long as the jobs created are not jobs for AMERICANS.

  4. #834
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    I think what the american people are going to ask is why did the republicans they voted into office take a pledge to support a lobbyist, don't you think that if they wanted Grover to represent them they would have voted for Grover?
    I think the majority of the American people are as dumb as most liberals here knowing that keeping more of their own money is a good thing. Noticed how this is a real hot button for you so apparently you are sending into the govt. more than the taxes collected?

  5. #835
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Your opinions are the result of countless hours of engaging in partisan talking points that neglect the quantitative analysis required to substantiate them.

    If you are looking for a proper interpretation of the data (and not the lame repetitive copy paste), look no further. I guarantee you will find nothing that compares to the analytics provided by Moody's.

    End of the Great Recession

    A potpourri of temporary spending increases were also included in the fiscal stimulus. Additional unemployment insurance beyond the regular 26-week benefit period has been far and away the most costly type of stimulus spending, with a total price tag now approaching $300 billion. The high rate and surprisingly long duration of unemployment—well over half the jobless have been out of work more than 26 weeks—have added to the bill.

    Yet UI benefits are among the most potent forms of economic stimulus available. Additional unemployment insurance produces very high economic activity per federal dollar spent (see Table 11).23 Most unemployed workers spend their benefits immediately; and without such extra help, laid-off workers and their families have little choice but to slash their spending. The loss of benefits is debilitating not only for unemployed workers, but also for friends, family, and neighbors who may have been providing financial help themselves.

    The fiscal stimulus also provided almost $50 billion in other income transfers, including Social Security, food stamps, and COBRA payments to allow unemployed workers to retain access to healthcare. Food stamps are another particularly powerful form of stimulus, as such money flows quickly into the economy. COBRA and Social Security

    snip

    Funds for infrastructure projects generally do not generate spending quickly, as it takes time to get projects going. That is not a bad thing: rushing raises the risks of financing unproductive projects. But infrastructure spending does pack a significant economic punch, particularly to the nation’s depressed construction and manufacturing industries. Almost $150 billion in ARRA infrastructure spending is now flowing into the economy, and is particularly welcome, as the other stimulus fades while the economy struggles.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  6. #836
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dragon View Post
    XD

    Do you even know the purpose of taxes? They're the government's way of acquiring funds. Naturally, cutting taxes would mean less money for the government. Sheesh.
    Is that right? So you believe a retail sale costs business profits? You don't have a clue how our economy works and understand that a growing economy means more jobs thus more taxpayers. Just like drawing people into a retail store to get them to buy something other than the sales item

  7. #837
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    What President Bush did not realize is that you have to prime the middle class if you expect to promote job creation, it's the middle class consumer that energises the creation of jobs or maybe he just wanted to create the wealth divide we see today. At any rate it is apparent that the republican conservative base is anti job creation, well maybe I am wrong maybe they are pro job creation as long as the jobs created are not jobs for AMERICANS.
    So those evil rich people don't spend any money, don't hire anyone, and don't contribute to economic growth? Instead of promoting class warfare why aren't you promoting total economic growth? Why is it that the govt. needs the money more than the taxpayer?

  8. #838
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Your opinions are the result of countless hours of engaging in partisan talking points that neglect the quantitative analysis required to substantiate them.

    If you are looking for a proper interpretation of the data (and not the lame repetitive copy paste), look no further. I guarantee you will find nothing that compares to the analytics provided by Moody's.

    End of the Great Recession
    Is that why economic growth in 2011 is under 2% and unemployment is higher than it was when Obama took office? you can cite textbooks all day long and remain out of touch with reality. What exactly have you don't to improve the employment situation in this country as well as economic activity?

  9. #839
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Is that why economic growth in 2011 is under 2% and unemployment is higher than it was when Obama took office? you can cite textbooks all day long and remain out of touch with reality. What exactly have you don't to improve the employment situation in this country as well as economic activity?
    GDP was CONTRACTING at a rate of 7% when Obama took over. That's an improvement of almost 10%. Pretty damned good.

  10. #840
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    So those evil rich people don't spend any money, don't hire anyone, and don't contribute to economic growth? Instead of promoting class warfare why aren't you promoting total economic growth? Why is it that the govt. needs the money more than the taxpayer?
    Rich people have a cost of living that is typically greater than the "non-rich", but also just a fraction of total income. Tax cuts on the wealthy will do little promote economic growth because increases in personal savings (a spike in savings), typically coincides with a severe economic downturn.





    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •