Page 24 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 1443

Thread: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

  1. #231
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,298

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Because there are a lot of partisan hacks in this country? And dumbasses?
    Yep, see a lot of those here in this forum especially the Obama supporters

  2. #232
    Skeptical Optimist
    Rhapsody1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Seen
    09-20-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Because there are a lot of partisan hacks in this country? And dumbasses?
    The height of denial. "Everyone prefers the opinions I disagree with?" "Well, they are all dumbasses anyway"
    "There is an excellent correlation between giving society what it wants and making money, and almost no correlation between the desire to make money and how much money one makes." ~Dalio

  3. #233
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    Um, I don't think so.

    Cable News Ratings: Top 30 Programs For November 2011 (PHOTOS, POLL)

    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...1-2011/112499/


    So to correct your statement, Fox News SMASHES all three network news broadcasts. Or more accurately, smashes everybody in every time slot from the morning broadcasts 6-9am, and 5pm, 6pm, 7pm, 8pm, 9pm, 10pm and 11pm.
    You missed the point. Fox News gets obliterated by the NETWORK news broadcasts, i.e., ABC, NBC, and CBS -- not the cable news shows. The primetime network news broadcasts each pull in two to three times as many viewers as Fox's primetime news broadcast.

    Network Evening News Ratings Up Across The Board

  4. #234
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,076

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Great News America!!!! 375000 American workers gave up on seeking employment and we added a few hundred thousand seasonal retail jobs! Friggin AWESOME!!!
    So lets get this straight once and for all.

    When the unemployment numbers rise - that is an important barometer of the political winds and it is BAD NEWS for President Obama and is a sign he will surely lose in 2012.
    But when those numbers go down - it don't mean a damn thing.

    Got it.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #235
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    when it goes down because large numbers of people who were not employed previously now have real jobs, then that is indeed a good thing. when it goes down because people decide en masse that they have no more hope, that is a bad thing.

  6. #236
    Student MrMindSpeaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    maryland
    Last Seen
    12-06-11 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    192

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    So lets get this straight once and for all.

    When the unemployment numbers rise - that is an important barometer of the political winds and it is BAD NEWS for President Obama and is a sign he will surely lose in 2012.
    But when those numbers go down - it don't mean a damn thing.

    Got it.
    i think when you have a bad economy for this long of a period the UI numbers dont mean much with a small drop unless there is other evidence to show people actually getting back to work, and there is not.

    we have been in a slump longer then the length UI can last for anyone. so many people exhausted their benefits and the UI number only counts new claims.

    dont get me wrong its a move in the right direction and if the people that exhausted their ui benefits can start to find some work also it would be a big plus for the president, but as of now, its not!
    Liberty can not be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.

    John Adams

  7. #237
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,728

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    So lets get this straight once and for all.

    When the unemployment numbers rise - that is an important barometer of the political winds and it is BAD NEWS for President Obama and is a sign he will surely lose in 2012.
    But when those numbers go down - it don't mean a damn thing.

    Got it.
    Look at yourself all cute, tripping over yourself claiming this massive victory over a statistic that you and everyone else knows is a lie.

    When the actual unemployment rate drops...when people are actually working again and we dont just have a cosmetic bounce because 350k have bailed on the workforce. When states like Nevada and Michigan arent running double digit unemployment rates. When ACTUAL unemployment (you know...the figure that shows what the actual unemployment rates are including those that are no longer eligible for benefits and not just the first time claimers) figures improve, I will toast the success of the great leader. Until then...I will continue to laugh at morons who desperately cling to seasonal retail employment figures and people that are so disgusted and disenchanted that they just quit as if they are a 'good' thing.

  8. #238
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,596

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    well. bush. maybe he will blame the budget cuts from the debt ceiling deal.
    and in '13, when it's still up, Gingrich can blame Obama.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #239
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    when it goes down because large numbers of people who were not employed previously now have real jobs, then that is indeed a good thing. when it goes down because people decide en masse that they have no more hope, that is a bad thing.
    When it goes down because, as here, more people were employed and more people left the work force, it's better than it not going down with more people leaving the work force. If the labor force participation rate had remained steady, unemployment still would have fallen to 8.8%.

    IOW, it's moderately good news, but still the first good news we've had in a while. Pretending that it isn't is just that -- pretending.

  10. #240
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,427

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    When it goes down because, as here, more people were employed and more people left the work force, it's better than it not going down with more people leaving the work force. If the labor force participation rate had remained steady, unemployment still would have fallen to 8.8%.

    IOW, it's moderately good news, but still the first good news we've had in a while. Pretending that it isn't is just that -- pretending.
    It beats the hell out of the 9.8 it was at this time last year.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •