Page 102 of 145 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1443

Thread: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

  1. #1011
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    What?? You were serious about relying on a WorldNut Daily article??

    Ok, fine, I counter it with a Daily Kos nut article ...



    Gramm-Leach-Bliley

    Summary of Provisions

    -- Repeals the restrictions on banks affiliating with securities firms contained in sections 20 and 32 of the Glass-Steagall Act.


    [...]
    Provisions of the Glass-Steagall Act

    were directed at these abuses:

    (1) Banks were investing their own assets in securities with consequent risk to commercial and savings deposits. The concern of Congress to block this evil is clearly stated in the report of the Senate Banking and Currency Committee on an immediate forerunner of the Glass-Steagall Act.

    (2) Unsound loans were made in order to shore up the price of securities or the financial position of companies in which a bank had invested its own assets.

    (3) A commercial bank's financial interest in the ownership, price, or distribution of securities inevitably tempted bank officials to press their banking customers into investing in securities which the bank itself was under pressure to sell because of its own pecuniary stake in the transaction.

    Daily Kos: A not-so-brief History of Banking's Mismanagment of Risk


    ... prove the Gramm-Leach-Bliley act wasn't a Conservative policy aimed at deregulation ...
    So you are saying it was a conservative that signed this into law ??? Clinton was a conservative? What I find funny about hacks like you is you blame only one side ... I seem to remember things being pretty decent at the end of 2006 when Democrats took over the house and senate... So by the same standards that you put on Republicans then everything that happened from 2007 on is the fault of the Democrats who controlled the house and senate right ???

    Now don't get me wrong because I agree this was a terrible policy that was passed, but while you go on your political hackery to place blame on one party, both had a hand in it ... or are Democrats so inept that they didn't know how to stop a bad bill? Or the president so dumb that he didn't know he could have vetoed it ?
    Last edited by The Barbarian; 12-11-11 at 09:21 PM.

  2. #1012
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    So you are saying it was a conservative that signed this into law ??? Clinton was a conservative?
    Is English your second language? Where did I say Clinton was a Conservative? I said it [the Gramm-Leach-Bliley act] was Conservative policy.

    The bill was called the Gramm-Leach-Bliley act, not the Clinton act. Yes, Clinton idiotically signed it, but that bill was drafted and sponsored by Conservatives in the House and Senate for whom it was named after -- it was their policy.
    Last edited by Sheik Yerbuti; 12-11-11 at 11:37 PM.

  3. #1013
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Exclamation Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post

    So it came out of committee and never went for a general vote. Could mean no cloture, could mean parliamentary action etc etc. We dont know.

    So if all the democrats voted against it, how do you then say Republicans are responsible? Party of no and all that crap get tossed around pretty, ahem liberally, pardon the pun.
    Because the party in charge is responsible for adding bills that come out of committee onto the legislative calendar so that there can be a full vote in the Senate. And yes, we do know there was no cloture vote because had there been one, it would have been recorded. Republicans have used the pathetic excuse that they didn't bother to send it to the Senate floor because they expected Democrats to filibuster it. It's unfortunate for them that they didn't force Democrats to take that position, because as it stands, Republicans dropped the ball on that one.

    Just like they did on 'S. 1508: Federal Enterprise Regulatory Reform Act of 2003' and 'H.R. 1461 [109th]: Federal Housing Finance Reform Act of 2005' ... two more bills that made it to Republican leadership in the Senate where they refused to let the full Senate vote on them.

    That is why it's a lie to claim Democrats blocked Republicans from passing oversight of the GSE's ... Republicans had at least three opportunities and each time, Republican leadership in the Senate refused to allow a vote.

    G'head ... this is where Conservatives blame Barney Frank.




    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post

    So, does that mean all the bills in the Senate right now, not getting passed are the fault of the Dems? Since the house already passed them.
    Of course not, just like Republicans weren't always to blame when they were in charge. I don't hold the majority party responsible for failing to pass bills in the Senate when the minority party filibusters a bill ... I do blame the Republican-led Senate for the three aforementioned bills though since none of them were filibustered and all of them stalled with Republican leadership in the Senate.
    Last edited by Sheik Yerbuti; 12-11-11 at 11:42 PM.

  4. #1014
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Is English your second language? Where did I say Clinton was a Conservative? I said it [the Gramm-Leach-Bliley act] was Conservative policy.

    The bill was called the Gramm-Leach-Bliley act, not the Clinton act. Yes, Clinton idiotically signed it, but that bill was drafted and sponsored by Conservatives in the House and Senate for whom it was named after -- it was their policy.
    Still living in the past? I understand why you would divert from the Obama record but neither Clinton or Bush will be on the ballot in 2012 nor will Bush's record. Obama has had three years to make things better and after adding 4.5 trillion to the debt we still have a net job loss, declining labor force, and rising misery index

  5. #1015
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Still living in the past? I understand why you would divert from the Obama record but neither Clinton or Bush will be on the ballot in 2012 nor will Bush's record. Obama has had three years to make things better and after adding 4.5 trillion to the debt we still have a net job loss, declining labor force, and rising misery index
    So tell us all how is a Republican going to fix this?

  6. #1016
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    So tell us all how is a Republican going to fix this?
    I could tell you but you have no interest in hearing the answers

  7. #1017
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Is English your second language? Where did I say Clinton was a Conservative? I said it [the Gramm-Leach-Bliley act] was Conservative policy.

    The bill was called the Gramm-Leach-Bliley act, not the Clinton act. Yes, Clinton idiotically signed it, but that bill was drafted and sponsored by Conservatives in the House and Senate for whom it was named after -- it was their policy.
    No English isn't my 2nd language. But with you comprehension is sorely lacking, or maybe you just don't know any better, either way you do show just how our educational system is failing us.

    How ever I am glad you agree that Clinton then was a idiot, along with the 44 members of the Senate that couldn't figure out a way to stop this bill from being passed.

    Seeing a liberal signed the bill into law, (for you have stated that Clinton wasn't a conservative) that makes it a compromise, and thus a bill of both parties .

  8. #1018
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Because the party in charge is responsible for adding bills that come out of committee onto the legislative calendar so that there can be a full vote in the Senate. And yes, we do know there was no cloture vote because had there been one, it would have been recorded. Republicans have used the pathetic excuse that they didn't bother to send it to the Senate floor because they expected Democrats to filibuster it. It's unfortunate for them that they didn't force Democrats to take that position, because as it stands, Republicans dropped the ball on that one.

    Just like they did on 'S. 1508: Federal Enterprise Regulatory Reform Act of 2003' and 'H.R. 1461 [109th]: Federal Housing Finance Reform Act of 2005' ... two more bills that made it to Republican leadership in the Senate where they refused to let the full Senate vote on them.

    That is why it's a lie to claim Democrats blocked Republicans from passing oversight of the GSE's ... Republicans had at least three opportunities and each time, Republican leadership in the Senate refused to allow a vote.

    G'head ... this is where Conservatives blame Barney Frank.





    Of course not, just like Republicans weren't always to blame when they were in charge. I don't hold the majority party responsible for failing to pass bills in the Senate when the minority party filibusters a bill ... I do blame the Republican-led Senate for the three aforementioned bills though since none of them were filibustered and all of them stalled with Republican leadership in the Senate.
    Why not just tell the truth for a change .. as a liberal you live by the mantra of the liberal party ... everything is always someone else's fault .. from reading this post that is exactly what you are saying ..

  9. #1019
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

    Still living in the past?
    Those who turn a blind eye on the past are doomed to repeat it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

    I understand why you would divert from the Obama record but neither Clinton or Bush will be on the ballot in 2012 nor will Bush's record. Obama has had three years to make things better and after adding 4.5 trillion to the debt we still have a net job loss, declining labor force, and rising misery index
    And yet, Obama still defeats every Republican being thrown against him. Guess most people don't blame him like you do. Then again, you do claim to be smarter than most people.

  10. #1020
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: U.S. Jobless Rate Unexpectedly Declines to 8.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post

    Why not just tell the truth for a change .. as a liberal you live by the mantra of the liberal party ... everything is always someone else's fault .. from reading this post that is exactly what you are saying ..
    Really?? Is that the best you can do? That's just sad.

    No, not everything is someone else's fault and just because I point out that Republicans dropped the ball 3 times on passing oversight, which they did, doesn't mean I blame them for everything.

    Hyperbole much?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •