Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 70

Thread: Iran students storm UK Embassy

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Iran students storm UK Embassy

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Well there's no actual way Iran can wage war on the UK or America so it's the ball is firmly in their court.
    They could, but they wouldn't.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Iran students storm UK Embassy

    On a side note, Obama condemned the storming of the "English" embassy in Tehran.

    Can you imagine the uproar if Rick Perry or Herman Cain had made such a boneheaded statement?

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  3. #13
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Iran students storm UK Embassy

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    What would you do cpwill?
    I would have the US do what Britain did, which is to freeze out their central bank. I would also hit their oil refinery, and close off sea-side shipments of gasoline. Depending on their level of advancement and our covert capability, strikes of some kind on the nuclear program would be required as well; though whether the intent is to destroy or merely delay would depend upon how well the first set of measures were working. I would also immediately reinstate our missile shield in Eastern Europe.

    The LAST thing I would do, however, would be to engage in the "oh well we can live with a nuclear Iran because on the Inside a Mullah is really just like a Western Politician" lunacy.

  4. #14
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Iran students storm UK Embassy

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    On a side note, Obama condemned the storming of the "English" embassy in Tehran.

    Can you imagine the uproar if Rick Perry or Herman Cain had made such a boneheaded statement?
    Did he condemn it in Austrian?

  5. #15
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Iran students storm UK Embassy

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    They could, but they wouldn't.
    um. they are currently.

  6. #16
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,802

    Re: Iran students storm UK Embassy

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    this is a violation of international law and there has to be a stong response, the time for writing strong worded letters as past. Lets start imposing stronger sanctions on them and start targeting key military targets like we did to Iraq in the 90's. Lets send them back to the dark ages and then we will see how strong the will of the people is then. Time of a bit of old fashioned gun boat dimplocay!
    Interesting. I just read an article today about America's violation of international law when the U.S. invaded Grenada. Higgins, when the U.S. stands on international law it is standing knee deep in ****.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Iran students storm UK Embassy

    It hasn't been proven that the Iranian government is behind the embassy attacks, but I'm sure the western media will spin it that way because we want to invade Iran oh so badly.

    Obviously not cool whatsoever that this happened, but I'm not getting emotional about it. Once you do, the government takes out its war drums and that I cannot support or consent.

  8. #18
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,165

    Re: Iran students storm UK Embassy

    A little background on Britain / Iran relations. They go back centuries.

    " ...In the 19th Century, following the first Russo-Persian war, Iran was forced to concede territory under what was regarded as a humiliating deal for the nation.

    The 1813 accord was put together by a Briton - diplomat Sir Gore Ouseley - casting an early shadow over British and Iranian relations.

    Less than half a century later, the two countries were at war after the UK opposed Iran's attempts to retake Herat (in present-day Afghanistan).

    Iran lost its claim, and in the 1960s the British again drew the lines of Iranian territory when it helped set its borders with India.

    Meanwhile, it was British forces in Iran under Gen Edmund Ironside in the 1920s who helped put Reza Shah on the throne.

    His son was Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, the shah later ousted during Iran's revolution.

    Mossadegh coup
    In modern times, one event is seen as particularly pivotal to how Iranians view Britain: the overthrow of Mohammed Mossadegh in 1953.


    Mossadegh was overthrown in a coup backed by Britain and the US
    Mossadegh, who was elected prime minister in 1951 after the assassination of Gen Ali Razamara, had wanted to nationalise the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company in which the British had a majority share.

    The British sought the help of the Americans and organised a coup; Mossadegh was placed under house arrest.

    Pahlavi was restored to power as shah, ruling autocratically until he himself was removed in 1979 in the Islamic Revolution. ..."

    There's more than enough conflict and interference there to make Britain hated in in it's own right. In the Absence of an American Embassy, the n the puppet would seem a logical target.

    BBC News - Iran and UK - centuries of mistrust
    Last edited by Manc Skipper; 11-30-11 at 10:50 PM.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,248

    Re: Iran students storm UK Embassy

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    A little background on Britain / Iran relations. They go back centuries.

    " ...In the 19th Century, following the first Russo-Persian war, Iran was forced to concede territory under what was regarded as a humiliating deal for the nation.

    The 1813 accord was put together by a Briton - diplomat Sir Gore Ouseley - casting an early shadow over British and Iranian relations.

    Less than half a century later, the two countries were at war after the UK opposed Iran's attempts to retake Herat (in present-day Afghanistan).

    Iran lost its claim, and in the 1960s the British again drew the lines of Iranian territory when it helped set its borders with India.

    Meanwhile, it was British forces in Iran under Gen Edmund Ironside in the 1920s who helped put Reza Shah on the throne.

    His son was Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, the shah later ousted during Iran's revolution.

    Mossadegh coup
    In modern times, one event is seen as particularly pivotal to how Iranians view Britain: the overthrow of Mohammed Mossadegh in 1953.


    Mossadegh was overthrown in a coup backed by Britain and the US
    Mossadegh, who was elected prime minister in 1951 after the assassination of Gen Ali Razamara, had wanted to nationalise the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company in which the British had a majority share.

    The British sought the help of the Americans and organised a coup; Mossadegh was placed under house arrest.

    Pahlavi was restored to power as shah, ruling autocratically until he himself was removed in 1979 in the Islamic Revolution. ..."

    There's more than enough conflict and interference there to make Britain hated in in it's own right. In the Absence of an American Embassy, the n the puppet would seem a logical target.

    BBC News - Iran and UK - centuries of mistrust

    lol mate the amount of countries we have pissed off is endless but we can not allow them to defy international law now and potentially build a nuke missile just because the empire was a little bit naughty back in the day.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,248

    Re: Iran students storm UK Embassy

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Interesting. I just read an article today about America's violation of international law when the U.S. invaded Grenada. Higgins, when the U.S. stands on international law it is standing knee deep in ****.
    Im not American Im british and I realise that both the US and the UK have broken their fair share of laws ( sometimes the good guys have to be the bad guys) but that doesnt mean we cant come down on Iran like a ton of bricks. I realise that this is not fair but guess what the world is not fair and we can not allow an unstable country break international law and maybe become a nuclear power.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •