Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 156

Thread: Obama: Solving Euro Crisis of ‘Huge Importance’

  1. #141
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama: Solving Euro Crisis of ‘Huge Importance’

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    As far as I can tell there is no discussion about the US bailing out Europe. Obama has said that the Europeans can and should deal with their own problems. His administration is simply offering the benefit of its experience and suggesting actions that they believe would help. They're also attempting to insulate the U.S. from Eurozone fallout to the extent possible (i.e., not much). Can you direct me to the sources indicating that we are providing cash assistance?

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/29/bu...bt-crisis.html
    You used my quote and them went your own way. If you use my quote please indicate where I said the US is supplying cash to the Eurozone.

    In fact you quoted me as saying
    That´s right and it´s not clear why this idea is even being discussed.
    and
    Who can America borrow money from in order to give it to the Europeans?
    Thus it seems odd that you would ask me to direct you to sources indicating that the US is providing any cash assistance when I never made any such claim.

    This appears to be as far as it has gone.

    Obama Presses EU Leaders at White House on Resolving European Debt Crisis - Bloomberg
    Last edited by Grant; 12-05-11 at 02:29 PM.

  2. #142
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama: Solving Euro Crisis of ‘Huge Importance’

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    You used my quote and them went your own way. If you use my quote please indicate where I said the US is supplying cash to the Eurozone.

    In fact you quoted me as saying

    and

    Thus it seems odd that you would ask me to direct you to sources indicating that the US is providing any cash assistance when I never made any such claim.

    This appears to be as far as it has gone.

    Obama Presses EU Leaders at White House on Resolving European Debt Crisis - Bloomberg
    Sorry, I guess I shouldn't have directed that at you. But the assumption underlying this whole thread seems to be that Obama is going to attempt to bail out the Europeans, and I've seen no evidence of that whatsoever.

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama: Solving Euro Crisis of ‘Huge Importance’

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Sorry, I guess I shouldn't have directed that at you. But the assumption underlying this whole thread seems to be that Obama is going to attempt to bail out the Europeans, and I've seen no evidence of that whatsoever.
    Nor have I and I doubt the American people would want to send money to Europe.. It seems it was just conversation. And thanks.

  4. #144
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama: Solving Euro Crisis of ‘Huge Importance’

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    As far as I can tell there is no discussion about the US bailing out Europe. Obama has said that the Europeans can and should deal with their own problems. His administration is simply offering the benefit of its experience and suggesting actions that they believe would help. They're also attempting to insulate the U.S. from Eurozone fallout to the extent possible (i.e., not much). Can you direct me to the sources indicating that we are providing cash assistance?

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/29/bu...bt-crisis.html
    This could be a loan?

    Fed may give loans to IMF to help euro zone: paper | Reuters

  5. #145
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama: Solving Euro Crisis of ‘Huge Importance’

    Seems like the European Central Bank has the funds to bail out the European Members national debt problems but they won't, unless the members agree to give up more of their individual sovereign fiscal control. That's why the US wants no involvement. I can see it now the ECB and IMF running the country of Europe. And who says bankers aren't politically ambitious for power?

  6. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama: Solving Euro Crisis of ‘Huge Importance’

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Seems like the European Central Bank has the funds to bail out the European Members national debt problems but they won't, unless the members agree to give up more of their individual sovereign fiscal control. That's why the US wants no involvement. I can see it now the ECB and IMF running the country of Europe. And who says bankers aren't politically ambitious for power?
    Who´s running the country of Europe now? Could the bankers do worse?

  7. #147
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama: Solving Euro Crisis of ‘Huge Importance’

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Who´s running the country of Europe now? Could the bankers do worse?
    Yep, that's all we need is for Europe to become one big homogeneous glob of defunct cultures run by altruistic money mongers. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Who´s running the country of Europe now? Could the bankers do worse?
    That's called fascism (merger of government and corporate power).... And generally speaking that is much worse for most everyone.

  9. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama: Solving Euro Crisis of ‘Huge Importance’

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    That's called fascism (merger of government and corporate power).... And generally speaking that is much worse for most everyone.
    It´s too late. That´s already happened.

    But "fascism" is a little harsh. "Crony Capitalism", as we see in the US now, might be more appropriate.

  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama: Solving Euro Crisis of ‘Huge Importance’

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Yep, that's all we need is for Europe to become one big homogeneous glob of defunct cultures run by altruistic money mongers. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy
    It´s not often in history that countries deliberately attempt to subjugate their own historical cultures in order to create a new homogenous one, but that´s what´s been going on in Europe.

    And, as we can see, the results have been ´mixed´.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •