Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 53

Thread: Barney Frank will not seek reelection in 2012

  1. #31
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Barney Frank will not seek reelection in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    The fact that he was smart enough to have gay sex with underage boys for decades and still get re-elected unlike his conservative detractors really pissed them off no end. Obviously.
    again...corrected for accuracy
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #32
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Barney Frank will not seek reelection in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    again...corrected for accuracy
    Changing people's quotes ... that is funny.

    And AFAIK there is no evidence that he ever had sex with an underage boy.

  3. #33
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: Barney Frank will not seek reelection in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    The fact that he was so much smarter, and better spoken than his conservative detractors really pissed them off no end. Obviously.
    just to be clear: we are talking about Barney "I want to roll the dice more in favor of sub-prime mortgages" Frank, right?

  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,930

    Re: Barney Frank will not seek reelection in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Another rat jumping off the sinking ship.
    Did you say the same about whackjob Republican Ron Paul?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #35
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Barney Frank will not seek reelection in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    just to be clear: we are talking about Barney "I want to roll the dice more in favor of sub-prime mortgages" Frank, right?
    No, I think you're talking about a different guy.

    Oxley hits back at ideologues
    By Greg Farrell in New York
    Published: September 9 2008 19:25 | Last updated: September 9 2008 19:25

    In the aftermath of the US Treasury’s decision to seize control of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, critics have hit at lax oversight of the mortgage companies.

    The dominant theme has been that Congress let the two government-sponsored enterprises morph into a creature that eventually threatened the US financial system. Mike Oxley will have none of it.

    Instead, the Ohio Republican who headed the House financial services committee until his retirement after mid-term elections last year, blames the mess on ideologues within the White House as well as Alan Greenspan, former chairman of the Federal Reserve.

    The critics have forgotten that the House passed a GSE reform bill in 2005 that could well have prevented the current crisis, says Mr Oxley, now vice-chairman of Nasdaq.

    He fumes about the criticism of his House colleagues. “All the handwringing and bedwetting is going on without remembering how the House stepped up on this,” he says. “What did we get from the White House? We got a one-finger salute.”

    The House bill, the 2005 Federal Housing Finance Reform Act, would have created a stronger regulator with new powers to increase capital at Fannie and Freddie, to limit their portfolios and to deal with the possibility of receivership.

    Mr Oxley reached out to Barney Frank, then the ranking Democrat on the committee and now its chairman, to secure support on the other side of the aisle. But after winning bipartisan support in the House, where the bill passed by 331 to 90 votes, the legislation lacked a champion in the Senate and faced hostility from the Bush administration.
    Adamant that the only solution to the problems posed by Fannie and Freddie was their privatisation, the White House attacked the bill. Mr Greenspan also weighed in, saying that the House legislation was worse than no bill at all.

    “We missed a golden opportunity that would have avoided a lot of the problems we’re facing now, if we hadn’t had such a firm ideological position at the White House and the Treasury and the Fed,” Mr Oxley says.

    When Hank Paulson joined the administration as Treasury secretary in 2006 he sent emissaries to Capitol Hill to explore the possibility of reaching a compromise, but to no avail.

  6. #36
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Barney Frank will not seek reelection in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    again...corrected for accuracy
    enhanced-buzz-15854-1300424464-1.jpg

    Hi, Oscar!
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  7. #37
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Barney Frank will not seek reelection in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Changing people's quotes ... that is funny.

    And AFAIK there is no evidence that he ever had sex with an underage boy.
    true, he just allowed a gay male prostitute to run an underage prostitution ring out of his home. there is no evidence that Barney himself actually ever personally sodomized any of the young boys involved
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #38
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Barney Frank will not seek reelection in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    No, I think you're talking about a different guy.
    Link please
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #39
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,805
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Barney Frank will not seek reelection in 2012

    Moderator's Warning:
    Barney Frank will not seek reelection in 2012Let's cease with the trolling and personal attacks at each other. The topic is Barney Frank.
    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

  10. #40
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Barney Frank will not seek reelection in 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Link please
    Published in the Financial Times. Unfortunately you have to register to see the direct link.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •