Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Idea of civilians using drone aircraft may soon fly with FAA

  1. #11
    Professor
    Keridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Last Seen
    08-19-17 @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,451

    Re: Idea of civilians using drone aircraft may soon fly with FAA

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yes and it'll be a long time before they make it into your home or your earlobe. Chill son. Slippery slopes aren't your forte.

    General Atomics MQ-1 Predator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Price of a drone: 4-10 million + repairs, operator salaries, mechanics, etc.

    http://www.robinsonheli.com/price_li..._pricelist.pdf

    Price of a helicopter: 300-600K + pilot, repairs, mechanics, etc.

    It seems as if the cost of purchasing/operating just 1 drone is far higher than that of 1 police helicopter. So "having a ****load of these things" flying around would be unthinkable for any police department unless they plan on downsizing man power considerably.
    While I don't disagree with you, I think it's important to note that we have been making helicopters for almost a hundred years, but drones are pretty new. I think the cost will come more in-line or even beat helicopters before too long as mass production becomes more prevalent.
    Omniscience just sucks without omnipotence!

  2. #12
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Idea of civilians using drone aircraft may soon fly with FAA

    Quote Originally Posted by Keridan View Post
    While I don't disagree with you, I think it's important to note that we have been making helicopters for almost a hundred years, but drones are pretty new. I think the cost will come more in-line or even beat helicopters before too long as mass production becomes more prevalent.
    I'd also add that as soon as the private sector gets its hands on the technology, the price is sure to go down. Look what's happened to toilet seats.

    Also, in order to spy etc., one could use what would amount to a "toy." We already have remote control model airplanes...this wouldn't be too much different.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #13
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: Idea of civilians using drone aircraft may soon fly with FAA

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I'd also add that as soon as the private sector gets its hands on the technology, the price is sure to go down. Look what's happened to toilet seats.

    Also, in order to spy etc., one could use what would amount to a "toy." We already have remote control model airplanes...this wouldn't be too much different.
    Damn, I was just getting ready to mention that.

    Depending on the range and duration of the flight of the drone directly impacts the cost. You can purchase a park flyer with a camera that you can use to look over the tree line for $200. You can get a bigger model that can do the same time with additional range and flight time for less than a thousand dollars. It is when you get into the higher altitudes and longer flight durations that you start incurring costs. I suspect that one of the largest costs for the military is have a communication system with a encrypted signal. Furthermore, that signal has to go from the area of operations for the UAV to the operator in the USA back to UAV.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  4. #14
    Professor
    Keridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Last Seen
    08-19-17 @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,451

    Re: Idea of civilians using drone aircraft may soon fly with FAA

    For the big brother concerns, I will also mention that the government can already see and hear through solid walls. Being able to do it from the sky isn't a huge leap. Pun intended :P
    Omniscience just sucks without omnipotence!

  5. #15
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,893
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Idea of civilians using drone aircraft may soon fly with FAA

    So I can hook a cel phone w/ a camera on to my RC chopper and it'll be called a drone now?
    I may be wrong.

  6. #16
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Idea of civilians using drone aircraft may soon fly with FAA

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    So I can hook a cel phone w/ a camera on to my RC chopper and it'll be called a drone now?
    It is a drone...with or without the camera.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #17
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,893
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Idea of civilians using drone aircraft may soon fly with FAA

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    It is a drone...with or without the camera.
    Sweet! Price Hike! No more selling RC aircraft, now they're DRONZ! Get yours before your neighbor gets his!

    Cue A-Team theme.
    I may be wrong.

  8. #18
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Idea of civilians using drone aircraft may soon fly with FAA

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yes and it'll be a long time before they make it into your home or your earlobe. Chill son. Slippery slopes aren't your forte.



    General Atomics MQ-1 Predator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Price of a drone: 4-10 million + repairs, operator salaries, mechanics, etc.

    http://www.robinsonheli.com/price_li..._pricelist.pdf

    Price of a helicopter: 300-600K + pilot, repairs, mechanics, etc.

    It seems as if the cost of purchasing/operating just 1 drone is far higher than that of 1 police helicopter. So "having a ****load of these things" flying around would be unthinkable for any police department unless they plan on downsizing man power considerably.
    To be fair, a Predator probably isn't the best example.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  9. #19
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: Idea of civilians using drone aircraft may soon fly with FAA

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    So I can hook a cel phone w/ a camera on to my RC chopper and it'll be called a drone now?
    Drone: (noun) - A pilotless aircraft operated by remote control.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  10. #20
    wʜɪтe яussɪaи Tashah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ישראל אמריקה
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: Idea of civilians using drone aircraft may soon fly with FAA

    Military drones (US/Israel) are piloted by Air Force fighter pilots. Unless there is a very low flight ceiling, a civilian drone pilot would need FAA certification.

    אשכנזי היהודי Белый Россию

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •