Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Giffords serves turkey at Tucson air base

  1. #21
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Giffords serves turkey at Tucson air base

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    Yes, there's no question that it's showing courage. In spite of its injuries, it's resolved to go on living, which is highly uncharacteristic of a politician.

    The serving of Thanksgiving meals to troops is a standard political move, but there's other evidence that giffords is not just a run-of-the mill tool. The key evidence is that, immediately prior to the shooting, it chose to communicate directly w/the people in its district in an open outdoor setting, exposing itself to danger. Even with security guards present, this is highly atypical. No other federal politician has ever held anything like a "Congress on your Corner" event outside a grocery store.

    Still, although I'm aware that the popular perception is that pols should simply be considered humans like people, I would have to see much more evidence before placing giffords or any other pol in that category.
    So, just out of curiosity, what did politicians do that made them, in your eyes, be less than human?
    Boston: City of Champions. New England Patriots: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, and 2016 Boston Red Sox: 2004, 2007 and 2013 Boston Celtics: 2008 Boston Bruins: 2011 Boston University Men's Hockey: 2008



  2. #22
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Giffords serves turkey at Tucson air base

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Is that what I said? Maybe statements like the above are why people think you can't read.
    Or, maybe you just can't understand sarcasm? How old are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #23
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: Giffords serves turkey at Tucson air base

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You're right; no matter how classy she is, her politics suck donkey balls.
    How anyone can attempt to use the word CLASSY in the same sentence as the words that end your sentence is one of the truly enigmatic puzzles in the known universe.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Giffords serves turkey at Tucson air base

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    So, just out of curiosity, what did politicians do that made them, in your eyes, be less than human?
    Politicians are tools, much like blender, vacuum cleaners, light bulbs, etc. that are bought and owned for the purpose doing a specific task for the owner.

    Just as light bulbs create light for the user, and blenders mix the ingredients the user puts in it, pols write and approve the laws the user wants.

    People, OTOH, exhibit independent thought, consciousness, etc. They also possess attributes like empathy, character, etc. not found in household items or other tools.

    Lastly, pols, light bulbs, etc. can be replaced. Lives, OTOH, cannot.

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Giffords serves turkey at Tucson air base

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    How anyone can attempt to use the word CLASSY in the same sentence as the words that end your sentence is one of the truly enigmatic puzzles in the known universe.
    ... I was thinking the same thing, sorta

  6. #26
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Giffords serves turkey at Tucson air base

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    Politicians are tools, much like blender, vacuum cleaners, light bulbs, etc. that are bought and owned for the purpose doing a specific task for the owner.

    Just as light bulbs create light for the user, and blenders mix the ingredients the user puts in it, pols write and approve the laws the user wants.

    People, OTOH, exhibit independent thought, consciousness, etc. They also possess attributes like empathy, character, etc. not found in household items or other tools.

    Lastly, pols, light bulbs, etc. can be replaced. Lives, OTOH, cannot.
    I have little love for politicians.. but damn, you make me feel like mother Teresa

  7. #27
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Giffords serves turkey at Tucson air base

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    Politicians are tools, much like blender, vacuum cleaners, light bulbs, etc. that are bought and owned for the purpose doing a specific task for the owner.

    Just as light bulbs create light for the user, and blenders mix the ingredients the user puts in it, pols write and approve the laws the user wants.

    People, OTOH, exhibit independent thought, consciousness, etc. They also possess attributes like empathy, character, etc. not found in household items or other tools.

    Lastly, pols, light bulbs, etc. can be replaced. Lives, OTOH, cannot.
    Maybe, but when some one like Giffords isn't at some event or Congress, can she not be a loving wife and mother aka, a person?
    Boston: City of Champions. New England Patriots: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, and 2016 Boston Red Sox: 2004, 2007 and 2013 Boston Celtics: 2008 Boston Bruins: 2011 Boston University Men's Hockey: 2008



  8. #28
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,693

    Re: Giffords serves turkey at Tucson air base

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    Politicians are tools, much like blender, vacuum cleaners, light bulbs, etc. that are bought and owned for the purpose doing a specific task for the owner.

    Just as light bulbs create light for the user, and blenders mix the ingredients the user puts in it, pols write and approve the laws the user wants.

    People, OTOH, exhibit independent thought, consciousness, etc. They also possess attributes like empathy, character, etc. not found in household items or other tools.

    Lastly, pols, light bulbs, etc. can be replaced. Lives, OTOH, cannot.
    That's ok. There's still enough people out there with the good sense to realize that politicians have an unenviable job of trying to please millions of people with unrealistic expectations that refer to them as items that plug into outlets. I'm sure it is also tiring to listen to jaded idealists who are the very same ones that nearly force politicians to be seen as mere sycophants.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 11-24-11 at 11:53 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  9. #29
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Giffords serves turkey at Tucson air base

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    Yes, there's no question that it's showing courage. In spite of its injuries, it's resolved to go on living, which is highly uncharacteristic of a politician.

    The serving of Thanksgiving meals to troops is a standard political move, but there's other evidence that giffords is not just a run-of-the mill tool. The key evidence is that, immediately prior to the shooting, it chose to communicate directly w/the people in its district in an open outdoor setting, exposing itself to danger. Even with security guards present, this is highly atypical. No other federal politician has ever held anything like a "Congress on your Corner" event outside a grocery store.

    Still, although I'm aware that the popular perception is that pols should simply be considered humans like people, I would have to see much more evidence before placing giffords or any other pol in that category.
    What the helll is up with this "it" stuff? You really feel this way? What are they if not human?


    I feel Gabby is a HERO. She has overcame so much and is going to overcome even more. This is a real role model for children.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  10. #30
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,751

    Re: Giffords serves turkey at Tucson air base

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    You're apparently ignorant of the facts. It wasn't just a 9 y/o girl that was killed. A seemingly decent judge and also lost his life in the mayhem.

    And not all life is equal. It's always tragic whenever innocent people are killed, and I've acknowledged that. But to equate light bulbs and pols w/humans is delusional. The latter are tools that can be replaced. But lives cannot.
    What the hell are you talking about? A pol is ALSO a life.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •