Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Giffords serves turkey at Tucson air base

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Giffords serves turkey at Tucson air base

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Bold & Underlined: Where I stopped reading because the nonsense was too much.
    Excuse moi, but a 9 y/o girl being killed is not nonsense. It is a big deal. A light bulb or pol can be replaced but not a child. The scumbag who killed her was troubled but he got what he deserved, IMHO.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,063

    Re: Giffords serves turkey at Tucson air base

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    Excuse moi, but a 9 y/o girl being killed is not nonsense. It is a big deal. A light bulb or pol can be replaced but not a child. The scumbag who killed her was troubled but he got what he deserved, IMHO.
    No. The nonsense lays in the fact that you claim that if a 9 y/o girl hadn't died this wouldn't have been a tragedy and that killing political officials is like breaking a ****ing light bulb. Get some perspective please and thank you.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #13
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: Giffords serves turkey at Tucson air base

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    We're sure you would:

    - Prochoice.
    - Prostimulus.
    - Propublic housing
    - Pro restorative justice
    - Pro-hate crime legislation
    - Pro-public education
    - Pro-renewable energy
    - Pro-environment
    - Pro-strong support programs for federal employees
    - Pro-sex education
    - Pro-gun control(AKA - OMGZ TEH LIBRULZ TRYING TO TAKE OUR GUNZ AWAY!)
    - Pro-expanding health care
    - Pro-SCHIP
    - Pro-Habeas Corpus for Guantanamo detainees
    - Pro-expansion of unemployment benefits.
    - Anti-flat tax
    - Anti-Iraq war
    - Pro-National Service(AKA MO'BIG-GUV? OH NOES!)

    Maybe voting is a bit of a stretch for you j-mac. Let's settle for.... You'd watch her on TV regardless of affiliation, how about that?
    You don't know jmac in real life. Neither do I, so I will take him at his word when he says that he would vote for her, regardless of political affiliation.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  4. #14
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,063

    Re: Giffords serves turkey at Tucson air base

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    You don't know jmac in real life. Neither do I, so I will take him at his word when he says that he would vote for her, regardless of political affiliation.
    I take him on what he's demonstrated on this forum. With that said, would you believe me if I said I'd vote for Ron Paul? Get real Dana.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #15
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Giffords serves turkey at Tucson air base

    I wouldn't vote for her just regardless of her politics. That seems like a very odd thing to do. However, she's obviously a wonderful person who has shown her strength in many ways. Good for her.

  6. #16
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    Re: Giffords serves turkey at Tucson air base

    Good for her, and fantastic she is fighting to recover.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  7. #17
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Giffords serves turkey at Tucson air base

    I do have strong ideological beliefs, and in most cases her record of down the line stances on liberal issues would be enough to dismiss her in my eyes, however, this woman, regardless of her beliefs is a fighter, and I believe that the courage to come back and display her love of country is enough to say that she may be one of the good libs left. I don't have to agree with her.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #18
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,114

    Re: Giffords serves turkey at Tucson air base

    glad to read this. her recovery has been amazing.

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Giffords serves turkey at Tucson air base

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    No. The nonsense lays in the fact that you claim that if a 9 y/o girl hadn't died this wouldn't have been a tragedy and that killing political officials is like breaking a ****ing light bulb. Get some perspective please and thank you.
    You're apparently ignorant of the facts. It wasn't just a 9 y/o girl that was killed. A seemingly decent judge and also lost his life in the mayhem.

    And not all life is equal. It's always tragic whenever innocent people are killed, and I've acknowledged that. But to equate light bulbs and pols w/humans is delusional. The latter are tools that can be replaced. But lives cannot.

  10. #20
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Giffords serves turkey at Tucson air base

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    glad to read this. her recovery has been amazing.
    Yes, there's no question that it's showing courage. In spite of its injuries, it's resolved to go on living, which is highly uncharacteristic of a politician.

    The serving of Thanksgiving meals to troops is a standard political move, but there's other evidence that giffords is not just a run-of-the mill tool. The key evidence is that, immediately prior to the shooting, it chose to communicate directly w/the people in its district in an open outdoor setting, exposing itself to danger. Even with security guards present, this is highly atypical. No other federal politician has ever held anything like a "Congress on your Corner" event outside a grocery store.

    Still, although I'm aware that the popular perception is that pols should simply be considered humans like people, I would have to see much more evidence before placing giffords or any other pol in that category.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •