Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 77

Thread: 'Company Policy: We are not hiring until Obama is gone'

  1. #51
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: 'Company Policy: We are not hiring until Obama is gone'

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    How could he possibly alienate a large chunk of Americans?
    During an economic downturn, a man with a company refusing to hire people for political reasons may turn a lot of people off. It may not as well; but let's not pretend as if there wouldn't be some mechanism for people to be upset here. The guy is free to do as he wants, others are free to view him as a childish jerk and not do business with him, others are free to view him for a stand up American.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #52
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,199

    Re: 'Company Policy: We are not hiring until Obama is gone'

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    How could he possibly alienate a large chunk of Americans?
    Those that choose not to do business with him because they don't like the message?

    Why exactly use your business as a platform to criticize anything unless it's people that kills puppies or something.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  3. #53
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: 'Company Policy: We are not hiring until Obama is gone'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    During an economic downturn, a man with a company refusing to hire people for political reasons may turn a lot of people off. It may not as well; but let's not pretend as if there wouldn't be some mechanism for people to be upset here. The guy is free to do as he wants, others are free to view him as a childish jerk and not do business with him, others are free to view him for a stand up American.
    I understand that point, but what I'm getting at is that your average consumer doesn't deal with transportation companies. Because of the nature of the industry he's involved in, it's doubtful that he will alienate that many people.

    And, while I agree that this is bad business, the odds are in this guys favor that most--if not all--of his customers agree with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #54
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: 'Company Policy: We are not hiring until Obama is gone'

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I understand that point, but what I'm getting at is that your average consumer doesn't deal with transportation companies. Because of the nature of the industry he's involved in, it's doubtful that he will alienate that many people.

    And, while I agree that this is bad business, the odds are in this guys favor that most--if not all--of his customers agree with him.
    Well as I said before, I doubt that his protest will have any real impact. He's free to do so of course, but as you say here it's just not on an aggregated level that would cause actual disruption.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #55
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: 'Company Policy: We are not hiring until Obama is gone'

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Those that choose not to do business with him because they don't like the message?
    That's possible, but as I just noted, he doesn't serve the average consumer. The people he does serve are businesses, themselves and they have a job to do and will most likely have to put their political opinion aside, if they even disagree with him.

    Why exactly use your business as a platform to criticize anything unless it's people that kills puppies or something.
    Any business man will use their business to criticize anything that interferes with their ability to make money. You think green companies would criticize fossil fuel producers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #56
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,981
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 'Company Policy: We are not hiring until Obama is gone'

    Unless you can predict the future, making such ironclad statements like that is asking for trouble. What if some of his people take sick leave, get hurt, etc...then he has to eat his words, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  7. #57
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,981
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 'Company Policy: We are not hiring until Obama is gone'

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Those that choose not to do business with him because they don't like the message?

    Why exactly use your business as a platform to criticize anything unless it's people that kills puppies or something.
    The only reason I can think of for why someone would put their livelyhood at risk for a political message, or ANY message, is because they must feel that the importance of the message out weights that of the profit.

    If we had a LOT more people like him, free markets MIGHT actually work.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  8. #58
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,199

    Re: 'Company Policy: We are not hiring until Obama is gone'

    That's possible, but as I just noted, he doesn't serve the average consumer. The people he does serve are businesses, themselves and they have a job to do and will most likely have to put their political opinion aside, if they even disagree with him.
    Sure...but we're talking about a guy that said he will not hire anybody until Obama is out of office. What happens if someone quits? If the economy recovers and business picks up?Is that rational? If this guy is irrational is it possible some people that are potential clients are irrational? He apparently is not willing to put political opinion aside...unless you think liberals are more rational than this guy.

    Any business man will use their business to criticize anything that interferes with their ability to make money. You think green companies would criticize fossil fuel producers?
    Sure they would, in a heart beat, because fossil fuel producers are their direct competitors. Would green companies criticize say SUV drivers? No they wouldn't because they could eventually be someone that buys their solar panels. This would be like criticizing SUV drivers...Democrats make up a large portion of voters, voters for Obama made up over half of voters in 2008.

    This is America, the guy of course can say anything he wants to, at the same time, it's perplexing that his business would the medium he would use.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  9. #59
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,105

    Re: 'Company Policy: We are not hiring until Obama is gone'

    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze483 View Post
    This isn't the thread for it, but I would love to discuss why you consider the current system inefficient.
    Health care is an essential service with inelastic demand. There are three for-profit middlemen between the patient and the solution : health insurance, healthcare facility, and pharmaceutical. To compound the problem, health insurance choices are tied to a specific employer, and the entire plan changes when a worker changes jobs.

    If health insurance was not currently employer-specific and someone argued that it should be, that person would be laughed out of the room.

    The system is inefficient, and the rising costs are unsustainable.

  10. #60
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: 'Company Policy: We are not hiring until Obama is gone'

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Unless you can predict the future, making such ironclad statements like that is asking for trouble. What if some of his people take sick leave, get hurt, etc...then he has to eat his words, lol.
    That isn't new hiring. A technicality, I know, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •