Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 404

Thread: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

  1. #51
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    1. Your link said that FDR's programs created a huge drag on the recovery.
    2. Like your link, you must not have actually read what I wrote.

    NIRA was deemed a failure because it created inflation which was a drag on the economy. QE created inflation which has been a drag on the economy.
    We have a rising misery index today that Adam and Obama supporters ignore. The only thing keeping inflation down are the 25 million unemployed, under employed Americans

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    We have a rising misery index today that Adam and Obama supporters ignore. The only thing keeping inflation down are the 25 million unemployed, under employed Americans
    That and housing keeps the official numbers out of the outright killer numbers but anyone who did any shopping for Thanksgiving know that the official government numbers do not tell the actual story concerning inflation.

  3. #53
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    1. Your link said that FDR's programs created a huge drag on the recovery.
    2. Like your link, you must not have actually read what I wrote.

    NIRA was deemed a failure because it created inflation which was a drag on the economy. QE created inflation which has been a drag on the economy.
    Way to completely misconstrue what the author of the link was obviously saying. What he said was that, while NIRA was a bad program, it was just one out of dozens of New Deal programs that, on balance, helped end the Great Depression.

  4. #54
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Kinda looks like the winger talking report have been debunked by the latest CBO report.It raised GDP, between 0.2 % and 1.3%,increasd employment, fulltime jobs at that.

    Attachment 67118728


    http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/125xx/doc...11-22-ARRA.pdf
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Way to completely misconstrue what the author of the link was obviously saying. What he said was that, while NIRA was a bad program, it was just one out of dozens of New Deal programs that, on balance, helped end the Great Depression.
    Yes, the author of your link notes that FDR's program was a huge drag on the recovery but he feels that FDR was still a great guy. He supplies nothing outside of his opinion here to back that up.

    Not accepting opinion as fact is not miscontrueing anything.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Way to completely misconstrue what the author of the link was obviously saying. What he said was that, while NIRA was a bad program, it was just one out of dozens of New Deal programs that, on balance, helped end the Great Depression.
    What you don't seem to understand that we have a free market economy based upon the private sector, not the public sector. Letting the private sector work is what makes our economy run and the private sector will correct itself a lot quicker than the public sector will ever do and we saw that then and we are seeing it right now. When you demonize individual wealth creation, private sector profits, and try to redistribute wealth you destroy incentive and prolong misery. The more misery the more liberals believe they are needed.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by treedancer View Post
    Kinda looks like the winger talking report have been debunked by the latest CBO report.It raised GDP, between 0.2 % and 1.3%,increasd employment, fulltime jobs at that.

    Attachment 67118728


    http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/125xx/doc...11-22-ARRA.pdf
    What CBO doesn't show is the 4.4 trillion added to the debt to generate those numbers nor the debt service that is a drag on the economy. What you are seeling here is stronger economic growth in 2010 and weaker economic growth in 2010. Compare that to what Reagan did two years after taking office.

    1983 GDP Growth

    I II III IV
    5.1 9.3 8.1 8.5

  8. #58
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What you don't seem to understand that we have a free market economy based upon the private sector, not the public sector. Letting the private sector work is what makes our economy run and the private sector will correct itself a lot quicker than the public sector will ever do and we saw that then and we are seeing it right now. When you demonize individual wealth creation, private sector profits, and try to redistribute wealth you destroy incentive and prolong misery. The more misery the more liberals believe they are needed.
    I guess you just forgot that the private sector, when left unchecked, can blow up our entire economy, like it did waaaaay back in 2007?

  9. #59
    Professor
    finebead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,558

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    I'm travelling and enjoying family, so my responses will be limited for a while.

    However, in response, the heck with the economists, let's look at what the actual people alive at the time, and living through all this, did at the time.

    They elected FDR in 1932, re-elected him in 1936, re-elected him in 1940, and re-elected him yet again in 1944!

    All the 80 year later economist looking at a bunch of numbers, do NOT trump the vote of millions of people living it at the time.

    I believe FDR was good for the country because the majority supported him 4 times, and that says a lot!

  10. #60
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    I guess you just forgot that the private sector, when left unchecked, can blow up our entire economy, like it did waaaaay back in 2007?
    Since it was Gvoernment edicts like "You WILL loan to people that cannot afford houses" and "Freddie and Fannie will buy your toxic" mortgages that caused the housing bubble to forment and explode, it appears once again, you have failed in your quest to exound the virtues of Central Planning, Government Control and Communism.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •