Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 404

Thread: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    Prove it....
    You disagree that people were feeling positive about the country after the war? I have to prove that to you?

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    Yes, show us how the psychology of the people had more impact than $800 billion in stimulus. I want to see this one.
    The country thrived after the war. Unemployment went up after the $800 billion stimulus. It's not that difficult outside of those who for some odd reason think that the government should just spend, spend, spend, the world around them be damned.

    People were struggling all through the war when the government was spending all of that money.

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    Wrong again. There was a recession right at the end of WWII. Positive market psychology DID NOT trump actual dollar spending that went away when the war ended.


    List of recessions in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    LOL, at best they note it "technically" lead to a recession. Of course changing over from building bombers to Buicks didn't happen overnight.

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I don't think that is true. I think the spending really played a larger role. Don't dispute attitude certainly helps, but without the infuse of money, it is unlikley the attitude could have carried us.
    Things were not good for many during the war while the government was spending all of this money. The infusing stopped with the war. We thrived because of the many businesses hiring and building things.

  5. #135
    Professor
    finebead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,558

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    You disagree that people were feeling positive about the country after the war? I have to prove that to you?
    That is not the point. I agree people felt better about the end of the war. You said those positive feels led to a good economy, and that the govt. spending in the war did not. I showed you were wrong, since there was a recession right when the war ended, and a "huge drop in GDP".

    You have not supported your position, in fact you have never in this thread provided any support for any of your statements to me, just off the cuff remarks, all of which I have refuted, with support. The immediate aftermath of the ending of WWII was a huge drop in GDP:
    The decline in government spending at the end of World War II led to an enormous drop in gross domestic product

    Govt spending was much more important than market psychology, we can clearly see that.

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    and in the short run... but hey, movement in the right direction, and (politically) a welcome realization of reality by the CBO.
    How does Washington Times spin count as 'Breaking News.'

    There needs to be a forum for 'Breaking Editorial and Propaganda' for a all Washington Times and Fox News stories.

    Otherwise, viewers of the BN forum may get confused and believe they're reading an actual factual news story.

  7. #137
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    That is not the point. I agree people felt better about the end of the war. You said those positive feels led to a good economy, and that the govt. spending in the war did not. I showed you were wrong, since there was a recession right when the war ended, and a "huge drop in GDP".

    You have not supported your position, in fact you have never in this thread provided any support for any of your statements to me, just off the cuff remarks, all of which I have refuted, with support. The immediate aftermath of the ending of WWII was a huge drop in GDP:
    The decline in government spending at the end of World War II led to an enormous drop in gross domestic product

    Govt spending was much more important than market psychology, we can clearly see that.
    Hey finebead, how you been? I have a question for you. My understanding is that WWII spurred a huge manufacturing effort to sustain our military, and if what you say is true that we suffered a recession immediately following the war due to that dropping off, then what pulled us out? Could it be that an equally strong demand for goods such as houses, cars, durable goods, textiles, ag products etc. all manufactured in this country did that trick? If so then it was American business, and manufactured goods that spurred economic growth, not government nannyism.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #138
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Things were not good for many during the war while the government was spending all of this money. The infusing stopped with the war. We thrived because of the many businesses hiring and building things.
    They hired because money had been spent and there was an expectation that there would be buying. It's fundamental that business will not spend, no matter what you give them, without someone having the money to buy the product.

    BTW, things are never instant. I put in money now, people don't immediately start buying. People shoudl never expect instant results.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #139
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    And the real answer: it was the massive stimulus from the war effort, coupled with the fact that we were the only remaining industrial power who's factories weren't bombed to oblivion.
    So you agree that FDR's economic policies had nothing to do with it.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #140
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    14 pages wasted on propaganda pretending to be 'news'.

    The far-righties are too easily taken in...

Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •