Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 404

Thread: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

  1. #121
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by treedancer View Post
    That was the good ole days when we had industry on shore besides banks that we could stimulate.
    The truth is that we manufacture more today than we ever have. Unfortunately the manufacturing industry is far less labor intensive now due to computers and robotic assembly.

  2. #122
    Professor
    finebead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,558

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    It wasn't war spending that ended it. It was the positive belief in the country after the war that ended it.
    Prove it....

  3. #123
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    The truth is that we manufacture more today than we ever have. Unfortunately the manufacturing industry is far less labor intensive now due to computers and robotic assembly.
    We should double up on the stimulus and put it into rebuilding our crumbling infrastructure. Starting with the pothole-laden interstates.

    This was the link I was reading when I posted that about the banks.GRR..

    < Secret Fed Loans Gave Banks Undisclosed $13B>

    < The Federal Reserve and the big banks fought for more than two years to keep details of the largest bailout in U.S. history a secret. Now, the rest of the world can see what it was missing. >

    Secret Fed Loans Gave Banks Undisclosed $13B - Bloomberg
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  4. #124
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by treedancer View Post
    We should double up on the stimulus and put it into rebuilding our crumbling infrastructure. Starting with the pothole-laden interstates.

    This was the link I was reading when I posted that about the banks.GRR..

    < Secret Fed Loans Gave Banks Undisclosed $13B>

    < The Federal Reserve and the big banks fought for more than two years to keep details of the largest bailout in U.S. history a secret. Now, the rest of the world can see what it was missing. >

    Secret Fed Loans Gave Banks Undisclosed $13B - Bloomberg
    Just goes to show how ineffecient the govt. is with taxpayer money yet that doesn't stop liberals from demanding more. Any idea what was to fund infrastructure projects including the highways?

  5. #125
    Professor
    finebead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,558

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post


    You are free to believe that the psychology of people have little impact but I can show where it made more of an impact than $800 billion in stimulus.
    Yes, show us how the psychology of the people had more impact than $800 billion in stimulus. I want to see this one.

  6. #126
    Professor
    finebead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,558

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    It wasn't war spending that ended it. It was the positive belief in the country after the war that ended it.
    Wrong again. There was a recession right at the end of WWII. Positive market psychology DID NOT trump actual dollar spending that went away when the war ended.

    The decline in government spending at the end of World War II led to an enormous drop in gross domestic product, making this technically a recession. This was the result of demobilization and the shift from a wartime to peacetime economy. The post-war years were unusual in a number of ways (unemployment was never high) and this era may be considered a "sui generis end-of-the-war recession".[34]
    List of recessions in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  7. #127
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    It wasn't war spending that ended it. It was the positive belief in the country after the war that ended it.
    I don't think that is true. I think the spending really played a larger role. Don't dispute attitude certainly helps, but without the infuse of money, it is unlikley the attitude could have carried us.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #128
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Really? Is that what you would say if most doctors diagnosed you with cancer?
    Apples, and Pick up trucks. If I were to be diagnosed with anything I would be able to question the docs that drew that conclusion, and see what their data was that took them to that point. Not just take it on faith just because you say so.

    Or most scientists concluded that a food aditive was carcinogenic?
    Again, I would think that the scientists would make themselves, and their data known. Which btw, how many things have we heard over the years to be bad for us concerning food, only to have them later say that they weren't as bad as they thought? Alot.

    Or if the vast majority of climatologists had concluded that anthropogenic global warming was a real problem?
    I'd laugh, because the case so far is not that. I mean look, even the wording you use says "was".... What happened? did it clear up?....hahaha....

    Pointing out that most experts say X, Y, or Z is not intended to stifle debate.
    It is when it relies only on your say so.

    It is simply a fact relevant to the debate.
    Not based on what you alone say. Now maybe if you posted something credible, then it could be studied, but no, you don't have exclusivity to 'fact'....

    It only offends you because you generally find yourself inexpertly arguing points that most experts do not support.
    I wasn't aware that you had to be 'expert' in everything in order to offer an opinion on this site. That is interesting, in order to consider your word expert then, could you provide us with your bona fides then?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #129
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I don't think that is true. I think the spending really played a larger role. Don't dispute attitude certainly helps, but without the infuse of money, it is unlikley the attitude could have carried us.

    I invite you to study up on this, it has been tried before, and failed horribly...

    Weimar Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: CBO: Stimulus hurts economy in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    And the real answer: it was the massive stimulus from the war effort, coupled with the fact that we were the only remaining industrial power who's factories weren't bombed to oblivion.
    The money spent on the war effort was scattered all over Europe and the Pacific. Indeed, people feeling good about things and going to work making refrigerators, televisions and the sort made a big impact.

Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •