Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 324

Thread: Pepper spray: US campus police suspended

  1. #41
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: UC Berkley: Police use excessive force

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    I am sure that when they were being sprayed down by hoses and had dogs sicked on them that someone like you said:
    there may have been, there may not have been. Are you really calling me a racist because I don't support OWS?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #42
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: UC Berkley: Police use excessive force

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Now you are just lying. Show me right now where I said I though Rosa Parks should be pepper sprayed. If you can't then we are done here.

    j-mac
    Sure:

    You believe these people, though they were sitting on the ground in docile positions with their arms locked, deserved to be pepper sprayed in the face because the cause they are protesting is not valid. Popular sentiment in 1955 was that the cause Rosa Parks was protesting was not valid either, ergo Rosa Parks should get pepper sprayed in the face when she refuses to leave her seat and the cops have to be called.

    If the opinion of a protest determines its validity, and therefore its right to exist, then Rosa Parks would definitely be pepper sprayed. Moreover, those kinds of things did happen to civil rights protesters in the (as a previous poster pointed out).
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  3. #43
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: UC Berkley: Police use excessive force

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Um....excuse me. Just who the hell do you think you are arrogantly talking about here? Did I give you permission to speak for me? No I don't think I did. Instead of violating rules, let's talk.

    j-mac
    You wanna talk? Okay. Your behavior in this thread is bigoted. You misrepresent what the protesters were protesting. You misrepresent the facts of the situation even though the video makes it clear the protesters sitting on the ground who were the subject of the police officer's force were of no threat. You justify the use of this excessive force by suggesting their civil disobedience was asking for it. You equate the cops to the law rather than subject to it.

    Your hatred of the protesters blinds you to being rational or compassionate to any humane degree and your justification is nothing but criminal thinking, an attempt to rationalize the criminal behavior of that officer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: UC Berkley: Police use excessive force

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    The police have a job to do, and gave warning that the spray would be used, then they were surrounded. The protesters got not only what they deserved in this case, but were warned beforehand, and you just go ahead and surround a police officer and see what you get. That can be construed as a threat.

    j-mac
    Nice authoritarian argument there. Shouldn't there be....I don't know....actual PROOF they were a threat? Not speculation? They were not a threat no matter how much you want to spin it that way for government authority.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #45
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: UC Berkley: Police use excessive force

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    there may have been, there may not have been. Are you really calling me a racist because I don't support OWS?

    j-mac
    Ignorant would be the right word. Ignorant in that you believe you have the ability to invalidate a peaceful protest, and, at the same time, validate violence used against them because you have invalidated their movement. That's some circuclar logic there, I agree.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Last Seen
    04-22-13 @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    221

    Re: UC Berkley: Police use excessive force

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Sure:

    You believe these people, though they were sitting on the ground in docile positions with their arms locked, deserved to be pepper sprayed in the face because the cause they are protesting is not valid. Popular sentiment in 1955 was that the cause Rosa Parks was protesting was not valid either, ergo Rosa Parks should get pepper sprayed in the face when she refuses to leave her seat and the cops have to be called.

    If the opinion of a protest determines its validity, and therefore its right to exist, then Rosa Parks would definitely be pepper sprayed. Moreover, those kinds of things did happen to civil rights protesters in the (as a previous poster pointed out).
    Popular sentiment doesn't mean his views on it... So where did he say such things again?

  7. #47
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: UC Berkley: Police use excessive force

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    You wanna talk? Okay. Your behavior in this thread is bigoted. You misrepresent what the protesters were protesting. You misrepresent the facts of the situation even though the video makes it clear the protesters sitting on the ground who were the subject of the police officer's force were of no threat. You justify the use of this excessive force by suggesting their civil disobedience was asking for it. You equate the cops to the law rather than subject to it.

    Your hatred of the protesters blinds you to being rational or compassionate to any humane degree and your justification is nothing but criminal thinking, an attempt to rationalize the criminal behavior of that officer.
    I have not seen much argument from that ilk that is much different. It's all biased, partisan, and extremely lenient of government force against free exercise of rights. It takes a lot of back bone and conviction to be able to stand for ALL assembly and protest; not just the ones you like. Some just don't got it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #48
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: UC Berkley: Police use excessive force

    Quote Originally Posted by Free For All View Post
    Popular sentiment doesn't mean his views on it... So where did he say such things again?
    Do we agree that he believes they can be pepper sprayed because he has determined their cause to be invalid? I'll move forward from there.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  9. #49
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: UC Berkley: Police use excessive force

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Nice authoritarian argument there. Shouldn't there be....I don't know....actual PROOF they were a threat? Not speculation? They were not a threat no matter how much you want to spin it that way for government authority.
    The worrisome part is that he could use the same rationalization to justify lethal force.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: UC Berkley: Police use excessive force

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    The worrisome part is that he could use the same rationalization to justify lethal force.
    There are those so afraid of the ramifications and consequences of freedom that they'd excuse any amount of force from the government in order to ensure their "safety" and/or convenience.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •