Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 94

Thread: CNN: Aides; 'Super Committee' likely to announce failure to reach debt deal.

  1. #11
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: CNN: Aides; 'Super Committee' likely to announce failure to reach debt deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    If I worked for a company and was told to put together a focus group and put together some money saving ideas, and came back with nothing at all! I'd be fired. Democrats: We're not agreeing to anything until you agree to raise taxes. Republicans: We're not agreeing to raise taxes.

    Fire 'em all.

    'Course I'm pretty sure this has everything to do with next year's election. Nobody wants to do anything that might blow up in their face. So they don't do anything. We've got exactly what we deserve, folks: Village Idiots.
    So we'll just replace them with more people who don't agree. Great.

    Your post seems to reveal your own bias too - you say the committee was supposed to give "money-saving ideas" but it was deficit-reduction ideas, which could include new revenue. Would you be willing to compromise on that? If not, you're just as guilty.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  2. #12
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: CNN: Aides; 'Super Committee' likely to announce failure to reach debt deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    'Super Committee' likely to announce failure to reach debt deal.

    A weekend of talks among members of the congressional committee charged with coming up with $1.2 trillion in budget cuts appeared to produce no last-minute compromise ahead of Monday's practical deadline.Democratic and Republican aides told CNN on Sunday that discussions had turned to how to announce the failure to reach a deal.A senior Democratic aide said talks are focused on a Monday announcement.Another senior Democratic source said, "No decisions or agreement has been reached concerning any announcement or how this will end. But, yes, the likely outcome is no agreement will be reached."
    At what point do we just get to start piking heads?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #13
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: CNN: Aides; 'Super Committee' likely to announce failure to reach debt deal.

    I agree wholeheartedly with Haymarket; the polarization in this country is a huge problem. I think a lot of it is attributable to the rise of hyperpartisan media outlets that intentionally preach a skewed, radical philosophy and simultaneously seek to undermine the credibility of less biased voices (a/k/a the "lamestream" media). I think political gerrymandering is also a big problem that tends to create a more polarized Congress. The result is that we are sending people to Washington who are seriously disinclined to cooperate, notwithstanding the fact that the vast majority of Americans want more cooperation in Washington.

    I don't know how we fix it.

  4. #14
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: CNN: Aides; 'Super Committee' likely to announce failure to reach debt deal.

    Can my state secede from the union?
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: CNN: Aides; 'Super Committee' likely to announce failure to reach debt deal.

    I said this before and I still believe it. This is the best possible outcome. No agreement and simply allow the automatic triggers kick in.

    No hanky panky like they were trying to do with farm subsidies.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,879

    Re: CNN: Aides; 'Super Committee' likely to announce failure to reach debt deal.

    Did anyone honestly suspect that anything other than this would happen?
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  7. #17
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,654

    Re: CNN: Aides; 'Super Committee' likely to announce failure to reach debt deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly with Haymarket; the polarization in this country is a huge problem. I think a lot of it is attributable to the rise of hyperpartisan media outlets that intentionally preach a skewed, radical philosophy and simultaneously seek to undermine the credibility of less biased voices (a/k/a the "lamestream" media). I think political gerrymandering is also a big problem that tends to create a more polarized Congress. The result is that we are sending people to Washington who are seriously disinclined to cooperate, notwithstanding the fact that the vast majority of Americans want more cooperation in Washington.

    I don't know how we fix it.
    I don't think anyone does... me included. The really frightening prospect is that the other time this type of polarization happened, it took a civil war to resolve and then that was the utter triumph of one side decimating the other side and the losers had to accept anything that was demanded of them. Consider what the southern states accepted during Reconstruction and ask if they would have accepted it before the Civil war to avert that tragic loss of life. The answer is probably HELL NO WE WILL DIE FIRST. And many got that wish.

    Look, I lay my cards on the table. I am a Democrat and work for an elected Democrat. I have provided political advice to other Democrats in the past in campaigns. But I would accept our sacred cows being put on the bargaining table if the Republicans put there sacred cows on that same table. I would accept a cut dollar for dollar with every dollar of tax increase they want. I would even agree to have a majority of it set aside for debt reduction.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #18
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: CNN: Aides; 'Super Committee' likely to announce failure to reach debt deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Look, I lay my cards on the table. I am a Democrat and work for an elected Democrat. I have provided political advice to other Democrats in the past in campaigns. But I would accept our sacred cows being put on the bargaining table if the Republicans put there sacred cows on that same table. I would accept a cut dollar for dollar with every dollar of tax increase they want. I would even agree to have a majority of it set aside for debt reduction.
    I think that most Democrats would agree with you. Democrats are not the problem here.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: CNN: Aides; 'Super Committee' likely to announce failure to reach debt deal.

    What a mess this truly is?? Our financial troubles should transend hyper partisan quibbling, but alas, they appear as steadfast as ever?? I really don't know what to make of our system of government anymore? Why anyone would oppose a balanced budget amendment is anyone's guess in the first place? OUr problem is that in all branches of government the people making the rules, and empowered to change the rules are the ones causing all the problems? We can't even go to the SCOTUS because they too are equally divided?? How else (And I ask this in all seriousness) can the American people dispose of an ineffective government without the use of force? Does anyone know who we can turn to? The only solution, legally is no solution. Did our founding Father's anticipate this much division? And if so, why didn't they put in a provision whereby we can evict all of them?

    Term limits, no more lobbying, anonymous randomly selected commitees, no cronyism.. The whole damn situation is corrupts as the day is long, and we are to suffer through it..


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  10. #20
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: CNN: Aides; 'Super Committee' likely to announce failure to reach debt deal.

    Double like!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    What a mess this truly is?? Our financial troubles should transend hyper partisan quibbling, but alas, they appear as steadfast as ever?? I really don't know what to make of our system of government anymore? Why anyone would oppose a balanced budget amendment is anyone's guess in the first place? OUr problem is that in all branches of government the people making the rules, and empowered to change the rules are the ones causing all the problems? We can't even go to the SCOTUS because they too are equally divided?? How else (And I ask this in all seriousness) can the American people dispose of an ineffective government without the use of force? Does anyone know who we can turn to? The only solution, legally is no solution. Did our founding Father's anticipate this much division? And if so, why didn't they put in a provision whereby we can evict all of them?

    Term limits, no more lobbying, anonymous randomly selected commitees, no cronyism.. The whole damn situation is corrupts as the day is long, and we are to suffer through it..


    Tim-
    I like this quote:

    “We don't have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven't taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much.” - Ronald Reagan
    Too bad the Stupid Committee never read it.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •