Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 58

Thread: Happiness Peaks at $75,000

  1. #11
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,709

    Re: Happiness Peaks at $75,000

    Quote Originally Posted by conservativeguy View Post
    You can read more about this study here....Happiness is Love -- and $75,000

    I am not buying the conclusion at all.
    Why not?

    21
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #12
    Professor
    Keridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Last Seen
    08-19-17 @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,451

    Re: Happiness Peaks at $75,000

    Notice it says that happiness flatlines, rather than declines after 75k. I think this is just the point at which financial woes stop dominating your life. Beyond that, all other problems are the same as anyone else.

    Just an interpretation, don't know if it's true...
    Omniscience just sucks without omnipotence!

  3. #13
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    ATL
    Last Seen
    07-07-12 @ 09:00 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Happiness Peaks at $75,000

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Why not?

    21
    Start with this quote

    But people with an annual household income of more than $75,000 don't have commensurately higher levels of emotional wellbeing, even though their life evaluation rating continues to increase.
    Why did they simply ignore their own findings that shows "life evaluation ratings" increase after you cross over the $75k mark? If I understand the study, life evaluation is long term in nature and emotional wellbeing is how one feels on any given day. Why did they link "happiness" to the one day rating? It seem to me if a person has a very high life evaluation they will be happy over a longer period of time. Who cares if a person had a bad day and they make $75k or $500k a year. They said making goals, achieving goals and making good money improves a person's life evaluation ...... so they are happier. The authors reveal their bias when they say stupid **** like this .......

    Emotional wellbeing may not improve with additional money, Dr. Deaton and Dr. Kahneman think, because of several factors. One is that humans adapt quickly to the things money can buy. A mansion is a thrill the first month you live in it, but it's just a house the second.

    Moreover, other research suggests that wealthy people don't take as much pleasure in actual pleasure as do poor people. In one test, social researchers primed some test subjects to feel rich and found that the "wealthy" subjects didn't enjoy luxury chocolate as much as the control group, the "non-wealthy," did.

    And Dr. Kahneman and Dr. Deaton believe that when it comes to the very wealthy with high life satisfaction, their evaluations may be influenced more by keeping score than by purchasing power. If life evaluation is based on reviewing how much progress people have made in their lives, money may become a marker of success.
    So what? They make a bunch of money and their long term view of their lives is positive.

    So if you make a bunch of money your daily emotional score may be the same as the $75k guy but your long term life evaluation is considerably higher.............you tell me which one you would rather be.
    I love the smell of burning moonbat in the morning.

  4. #14
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,968
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Happiness Peaks at $75,000

    So...we'll assume this 75K is AFTER taxes, as in, take home...which means it's more like 125K. Next question is, is this per earner per household? Or is this per household?

    And where? Not for nothing, if it's 75K per household, that's not even enough to buy a small house in CT. CERTAINLY not going to make you happy.

    I think the real issue here is that some folks seem to have confused less stress with general happyness. The only thing making more money does for a person is reduce certains causes of stress...especially for married couples. Past that, it can only buy you things you want...which is not going to bring you happyness. It will bring you fleeting moments of joy, sure. But just like the kid that gets the toy he always wanted at christmas, a week later, that coveted item is in a closet somewhere, collecting dust.

    To quote Dr. Dennis Leary....
    "Happyness comes in small doses, folks. It's an orgasm, a cigarette, some beers with friends."
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Happiness Peaks at $75,000

    I'm way past 75k... and i'm one happy motherhumper.

    not sure money creates happiness... but not having it sure does impede happiness.

  6. #16
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Happiness Peaks at $75,000

    This is totally wrong, happiness peaks after about two minutes.

  7. #17
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,125

    Re: Happiness Peaks at $75,000

    I've been both broke, and had some extra. I've been happy and miserable. Enough to know that money =/= happiness.

    On the other hand, I've always said that while money can't buy happiness, I'd prefer finding out first hand.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  8. #18
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Happiness Peaks at $75,000

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    So...we'll assume this 75K is AFTER taxes, as in, take home...which means it's more like 125K. Next question is, is this per earner per household? Or is this per household?

    And where? Not for nothing, if it's 75K per household, that's not even enough to buy a small house in CT. CERTAINLY not going to make you happy.

    I think the real issue here is that some folks seem to have confused less stress with general happyness. The only thing making more money does for a person is reduce certains causes of stress...especially for married couples. Past that, it can only buy you things you want...which is not going to bring you happyness. It will bring you fleeting moments of joy, sure. But just like the kid that gets the toy he always wanted at christmas, a week later, that coveted item is in a closet somewhere, collecting dust.

    To quote Dr. Dennis Leary....
    "Happyness comes in small doses, folks. It's an orgasm, a cigarette, some beers with friends."

    One big problem: Most people don't make anywhere near 75K take-home-per-household. (Let alone per individual paycheck). If you wonder why the peasants are revolting, well here's your answer... when you can't afford what your society touts as the basic standard of living, you tend to be disenchanted with your lot... and half of America is NEVER going to bring home 75k a year.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #19
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,968
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Happiness Peaks at $75,000

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    One big problem: Most people don't make anywhere near 75K take-home-per-household. (Let alone per individual paycheck). If you wonder why the peasants are revolting, well here's your answer... when you can't afford what your society touts as the basic standard of living, you tend to be disenchanted with your lot... and half of America is NEVER going to bring home 75k a year.
    Eh...I'd say that the majority of people DO bring that home in a combined income...that's roughly 50K per year, for two people, in a household. In 2003, the national median income was 45K per person. Can't find more recent data.

    I pretty much agree with everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  10. #20
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Happiness Peaks at $75,000

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Eh...I'd say that the majority of people DO bring that home in a combined income...that's roughly 50K per year, for two people, in a household. In 2003, the national median income was 45K per person. Can't find more recent data.

    I pretty much agree with everything else.
    If the median income was roughly 45k, it would STILL mean half of all households did not bring home 75k a year after taxes IF both Mr and Mrs worked and made the same money. Actually the odds are pretty good, if they have kids, that whoever is the primary caregiver makes less and possibly only works part-time. Then there are households with only one income earner... the other may be unable to work, unable to find a job, or there may not be another person at all.

    So, we're still looking at half of households not reaching that mark, and probably a third not even coming close.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •