Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 101

Thread: Ohio Mom Charged in Death of 28-Pound Teen Daughter

  1. #61
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,968
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ohio Mom Charged in Death of 28-Pound Teen Daughter

    Government jobs are, and SHOULD be, the lowest paid around, for the work rendered. There is a REASON we call it PUBLIC SERVICE.


    As for this OP...this is horrible. And while I would consider this to be a "worst case" scenario, I have heard of, and can probably dig up, COUNTLESS stories of abuse and negligence in social services across the country, all recent and relevant. You want to REALLY get sick to your stomach? Look what they're doing to native american kids in various reservations.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  2. #62
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,191

    Re: Ohio Mom Charged in Death of 28-Pound Teen Daughter

    This is what is wrong with our health care system. Far too often nurses are given the responsibilities that once were with doctors. A doctor would be less likely to allow this to happen. They have much more to lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  3. #63
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Ohio Mom Charged in Death of 28-Pound Teen Daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Yeah, due process is a bitch. If only we could get around that pesky system, then people like you and others on this thread could continue banishing people to burn in hell after reading 3 paragraphs. Good job, man!
    Your switching your argument from:

    I am not excusing their actions, but you could probably look towards their salary and work conditions. Try being a social worker for a few months and you'll see what I mean.
    IOW, "they probably aren't paid very much" to the new tack of "due process" is an strawman lost on very few people, WSS. You were wrong. Money should have nothing to do with it. Due Processis a given in the USA.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #64
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Ohio Mom Charged in Death of 28-Pound Teen Daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    This is what is wrong with our health care system. Far too often nurses are given the responsibilities that once were with doctors. A doctor would be less likely to allow this to happen. They have much more to lose.
    That's true. Many of them do not have the skills for the jobs, many are over worked, and many are underpaid. I was at my Uncle's house after his second stroke, and a nurse was going to stop by for an out-patient treatment. To keep the story short I will just preface it with he had just had his second stroke in a year, and he couldn't move his right-side well. After the first stroke, they were supposed to do a follow up scan on his brain, but no one ever contacted him again and he went back to work. After the second stroke, he went to get care at Duke University, and they found the abnormal blood vessels in his brain that caused the issue. Anyway, he told me to watch the interaction with the nurse because it would be funny as ****.

    She came in and began asking really basic stuff, and displayed clearly that she had no idea of anything other than the fact that he had a stroke. She did not know he had more than one, she didn't know what the cause was, and she did not know the treatment to solve the issue. Clearly he was annoyed. She tried to jump straight to the rehab section, fully unaware that if she doing physical rehab that point could easily cause him to stroke again. In the end it was an hour wasted and nothing done (and if something was done it could have killed him). In the end, being mad at her would be useless - it wasn't her fault.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  5. #65
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Ohio Mom Charged in Death of 28-Pound Teen Daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Your switching your argument from:

    IOW, "they probably aren't paid very much" to the new tack of "due process" is an strawman lost on very few people, WSS. You were wrong. Money should have nothing to do with it. Due Processis a given in the USA.
    Yeah, that's part of due process. Again, if you found out that the two supervisors had so much work on their desks that they rarely ever got to visit patients, what then? Should they still burn in hell, Maggie? I don't see how the live-in nurse has much of a defense if any, but I haven't heard her side of the story yet so I'll refrain from judgment.

    It truly is a sad story either way, but why you are so thirsty for blood is an issue you may want to look inward about.

    *Edit:

    And again, I tried to make it as clear as possible that I was not relating the pay and work conditions as any sort of excuse for actions. Just as a cause for apathy and poor performance (and in the field of health - poor performance means people die).
    Last edited by whysoserious; 11-18-11 at 03:04 PM.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  6. #66
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Ohio Mom Charged in Death of 28-Pound Teen Daughter

    By the way, I doubt there is any question as to where all the food went that was supposed to be fed to this poor girl.

    Ohio mom charged with the death of her 14-year-old daughter who weighed only 28 POUNDS | Mail Online
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  7. #67
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Ohio Mom Charged in Death of 28-Pound Teen Daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Yeah, due process is a bitch. If only we could get around that pesky system, then people like you and others on this thread could continue banishing people to burn in hell after reading 3 paragraphs. Good job, man!
    Well sweetie, I did not say a word about banishing anyone to hell in my one post in this thread.

    I just find it amazing that you have been jumping through hoops trying to justify their actions (actually inaction I'm thinkin).

    Claiming it is due to pay rate and working conditions is disgusting. Now, at this stage, you switch to due process. Then you claim you are not excusing them.

    Seems to me it would be kind of hard to think they did what they were supposed to but I guess some people can rationalize anything if they try hard enough.

    .

  8. #68
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Ohio Mom Charged in Death of 28-Pound Teen Daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    Well sweetie, I did not say a word about banishing anyone to hell in my one post in this thread.

    I just find it amazing that you have been jumping through hoops trying to justify their actions (actually inaction I'm thinkin).

    Claiming it is due to pay rate and working conditions is disgusting. Now, at this stage, you switch to due process. Then you claim you are not excusing them.

    Seems to me it would be kind of hard to think they did what they were supposed to but I guess some people can rationalize anything if they try hard enough.

    .
    I am sorry, but at no point did I try to justify their actions. If it shown that any or all of them were incompetent or negligent, then appropriate legal punishment should be levied. You won't get an argument from me there. Again, you like many, seem to be confusing reason with excuse. It reminds me of this story:

    American Airlines Flight 587
    This plane crashed simply due to one thing: over use of the rudder. Now, I am no flight engineer, but I do have an understanding of what happened here. These pilots were taught that appropriate response to turbulence was use of the rudder to control the aircraft and make the flight as comfortable as possible for the passengers. This control is extremely sensitive and does not require much force. The pilot interpreted the aircraft's wild behavior as turbulence and began using the rudder more and more - eventually causing it to rip off and the plane to come crashing down.

    First, the first officer's predisposition to overreact to wake turbulence; second, the training provided by American Airlines that could have encouraged pilots to make large flight control inputs; third, the first officer likely did not understand an airplane's response to large rudder inputs at high airspeeds or the mechanism by which the rudder rolls a transport-category airplane; finally, light rudder pedal forces and small pedal displacement of the A300-600 rudder pedal system increased the airplane's susceptibility to a rudder misuse.
    So, as you can see, this was entirely pilot error. This investigation revealed the reason that the crash occurred and why the pilot overreacted with the rudder controls, but it does not absolve the pilot of error. I just happen to prefer to understand why things happen instead of saying, "well he was a ****ty pilot". There is always more to the story and I think that is worth knowing.
    Last edited by whysoserious; 11-18-11 at 06:48 PM.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  9. #69
    Guru
    nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,108

    Re: Ohio Mom Charged in Death of 28-Pound Teen Daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    How does how much someone makes contribute to a person acting so irresponsibly as to watch a young woman starve to death? You say, "You look for a reason." Yes, one does.

    The reason all three of these women (social workers/nurse) let this poor girl starve to death is become they were lazy ****s who did the bare minimum they had to do to collect their checks. And not an ounce more. I hope they go to jail for negligent homicide.

    So why did they become social workers? Why didn't more people who care and are responsible and smart become social workers? Maybe because of the salary and work conditions? So then you might ask yourself, is it okay that social services have salary and work conditions that attract mostly people who "did the bare minimum they had to do to collect their checks. And not an ounce more", if this problem is widespread in social services? Or maybe it's better to not have social services at all? If the two options are both unacceptable, then maybe improving the salary and working conditions might lead to social service as a profession being attractive to people who care and are smart?
    Quote Originally Posted by Free_Radical View Post

    And I wasn't making an appeal to authority, I was making an appeal to the philosophical body of work of the founders, the worth and content of which should be well-known to anyone with a cursory understanding of basic history and philosophy.

    Brian

  10. #70
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Ohio Mom Charged in Death of 28-Pound Teen Daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    So why did they become social workers? Why didn't more people who care and are responsible and smart become social workers? Maybe because of the salary and work conditions? So then you might ask yourself, is it okay that social services have salary and work conditions that attract mostly people who "did the bare minimum they had to do to collect their checks. And not an ounce more", if this problem is widespread in social services? Or maybe it's better to not have social services at all? If the two options are both unacceptable, then maybe improving the salary and working conditions might lead to social service as a profession being attractive to people who care and are smart?
    Thank you. That's my point, nonpareil just summed it up in better words than I am able to. Social services are arguably some of the most important government programs we have, yet they are the first ones to be cut, they are notoriously bad paying, and they are also notorious for heavy workloads and underappreciation. I am quite sure every study ever done on this subject would agree that this is going to attract the wrong kind of workers and it will also promote poor work ethic.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •