Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56

Thread: Occupy Wall Street: New York police clearing protest

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Occupy Wall Street: New York police clearing protest

    BBC News - Occupy Wall Street: New York police clearing protest

    Police in New York have launched a pre-dawn operation to clear the Occupy Wall Street camp in Zuccotti Park.


    The city mayor's office said on Twitter that the protesters should "temporarily leave and remove tents and tarps" but could return once the park was clear.

    Occupy Wall Street was set up in September to protests against economic inequality and had been followed by dozens of protests around the world.

    A camp in Oakland, California was cleared overnight on Monday.
    Once the pre-text was created elsewhere, it has snowballed to all other districts. Mainstream reporting on the NYC clearing is scant at best. I had to go to the BBC to find out the details. It turns out that the subway and bridges are shut down at this time to prevent an influx of people, as the OWS organizers have put out a rallying call to resist. That's probably not such a good idea.

    At least they are allowed to return to protest in a non-camping capacity. I hope they are more organized next time. I just dread to think what is going on there right now.

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Occupy Wall Street: New York police clearing protest

    I think it is time for them to move on and formulate the next steps.

  3. #3
    Skeptical Optimist
    Rhapsody1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Seen
    09-20-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,510

    Occupy Wall Street: New York police clear Zuccotti Park

    New York City police in riot gear swept into a Lower Manhattan park early today to remove hundreds of Occupy Wall Street demonstrators who had been camping there for more than eight weeks to protest income inequality.

    The action followed similar moves that shut camps in Oakland, California, and Portland, Oregon. New York police and the park’s owners told protesters at 1 a.m. local time to remove items including tents and sleeping bags, after which city workers cleared remaining belongings, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said. The park will remain closed until the city can review a judge’s restraining order seeking to allow protesters to return with their belongings, the mayor said.


    “The First Amendment protects speech,” the mayor said in a press conference at City Hall. “It doesn’t protect the use of tents and sleeping bags to take over public space.”


    Protesters will be allowed to return without tents, sleeping bags or tarps, and must follow park rules, he said.

    New York Police Evict Occupy Wall Street Protesters - Bloomberg


    Finally Bloomberg mans up and does what he should have done a long time ago. Maybe these people will finally realize that the first amendment wasn't meant as an excuse for people to trespass and occupy private property at the expense of the general public. Hey protesters, feel free to continue to protest legally and responsibly. Sorry for shutting down your homeless shelter, I'm sure you will find the dozens of others to be more than accommodating.

    I have to end with my favorite quote in regards to the Occupy movement:

    ""Democracy destroys itself because it abuses its right to freedom and equality. Because it teaches its citizens to consider audacity as a right, lawlessness as a freedom, abrasive speech as equality, and anarchy as progress.” -Isocrates

    Good riddance.
    "There is an excellent correlation between giving society what it wants and making money, and almost no correlation between the desire to make money and how much money one makes." ~Dalio

  4. #4
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Occupy Wall Street: New York police clear Zuccotti Park

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody1447 View Post


    Finally Bloomberg mans up and does what he should have done a long time ago. Maybe these people will finally realize that the first amendment wasn't meant as an excuse for people to trespass and occupy private property at the expense of the general public. Hey protesters, feel free to continue to protest legally and responsibly. Sorry for shutting down your homeless shelter, I'm sure you will find the dozens of others to be more than accommodating.

    I have to end with my favorite quote in regards to the Occupy movement:

    ""Democracy destroys itself because it abuses its right to freedom and equality. Because it teaches its citizens to consider audacity as a right, lawlessness as a freedom, abrasive speech as equality, and anarchy as progress.” -Isocrates

    Good riddance.

    Absolutely. But this isn't over. These agitators want violence, and will continue to flaunt the law in order to incite chaos. It may still get ugly.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #5
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Occupy Wall Street: New York police clearing protest

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    BBC News - Occupy Wall Street: New York police clearing protest



    Once the pre-text was created elsewhere, it has snowballed to all other districts. Mainstream reporting on the NYC clearing is scant at best. I had to go to the BBC to find out the details. It turns out that the subway and bridges are shut down at this time to prevent an influx of people, as the OWS organizers have put out a rallying call to resist. That's probably not such a good idea.

    At least they are allowed to return to protest in a non-camping capacity. I hope they are more organized next time. I just dread to think what is going on there right now.
    Why? They are bringing it upon themselves.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #6
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Occupy Wall Street: New York police clear Zuccotti Park

    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #7
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Occupy Wall Street: New York police clear Zuccotti Park

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Absolutely. But this isn't over. These agitators want violence, and will continue to flaunt the law in order to incite chaos. It may still get ugly.

    j-mac
    Yeah, the OWS movement was all about violence and the aggregate whole wants to cause violence.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #8
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Occupy Wall Street: New York police clear Zuccotti Park

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yeah, the OWS movement was all about violence and the aggregate whole wants to cause violence.
    they got into bed (so to speak) with anarchists, Marxists, Neo Nazis, and Unions. You are whom you hang with...Sorry. Even you have advocated violence from this group in other threads about it....Shall we dig?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #9
    Skeptical Optimist
    Rhapsody1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Seen
    09-20-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Occupy Wall Street: New York police clear Zuccotti Park

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Woops. Mods, feel free to delete. Must have been posted while I was typing up this one.
    "There is an excellent correlation between giving society what it wants and making money, and almost no correlation between the desire to make money and how much money one makes." ~Dalio

  10. #10
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Occupy Wall Street: New York police clear Zuccotti Park

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    they got into bed (so to speak) with anarchists, Marxists, Neo Nazis, and Unions. You are whom you hang with...Sorry. Even you have advocated violence from this group in other threads about it....Shall we dig?

    j-mac
    Dig away. I've never said I'm 100% non-violent. I, in fact, believe the rebellion and revolt are proper tools of the People. I also like to stir up **** on this board from time to time.

    That being said, you have no data to accurately display the demographics about how many want to turn to violence and thus you cannot logically group the whole and pretend you are accurately representing the aggregate with your statements.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •