Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 108

Thread: Pelosi fires back at '60 Minutes' report on 'soft corruption'

  1. #11
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Pelosi fires back at '60 Minutes' report on 'soft corruption'

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Why am I a partisan hack for asking a simple question?

    Is your view bipartisan or not? Are you afraid to answer?
    The answer, was given "ANY" congress critter. I note you claim undisclosed as a political lean, yet you are an open book to those that read your posts.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  2. #12
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Pelosi fires back at '60 Minutes' report on 'soft corruption'

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I don't mind them owning stocks while in office, but I do think they should be prohibited from buying more stocks while in office. Not sure about selling while in office, I'll have to think about that more.
    I don't think so myself...I'm running for office. Corporate insider gives me a sweet tip because there's some pending or key legislation I may be able to impact on his behalf. I buy. Then I reap the rewards when I get elected. It'd just be cleaner if they had to dump their holdings and go into an Index Fund as a condition of holding office. It'll never happen though. Selling while in office is potentially just as dishonest as buying, imo.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #13
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Pelosi fires back at '60 Minutes' report on 'soft corruption'

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Why am I a partisan hack for asking a simple question?

    Is your view bipartisan or not? Are you afraid to answer?
    First, my comment said "Any sitting congressman." Second, this thread is about Nancy Pelosi. Drives me crazy when someone mentions Cain's supposed indiscretions, as an example, and the next thing ya' know somebody's sayin', "What about Clinton?" Why is it that people immediately turn it into "Hey, what about your side??"

    It's both sides. No, it's all sides.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Pelosi fires back at '60 Minutes' report on 'soft corruption'

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    First, my comment said "Any sitting congressman." Second, this thread is about Nancy Pelosi. Drives me crazy when someone mentions Cain's supposed indiscretions, as an example, and the next thing ya' know somebody's sayin', "What about Clinton?" Why is it that people immediately turn it into "Hey, what about your side??"

    It's both sides. No, it's all sides.
    Thanks, that's all I wanted to know. No need to have a hissy fit.

    And my lean is undisclosed because I don't have one. I'm an independent if anything, but I'd rather just leave it undisclosed because people don't seem to comprehend what leans mean half the time anyway.

  5. #15
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Pelosi fires back at '60 Minutes' report on 'soft corruption'

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Thanks, that's all I wanted to know. No need to have a hissy fit.

    And my lean is undisclosed because I don't have one. I'm an independent if anything, but I'd rather just leave it undisclosed because people don't seem to comprehend what leans mean half the time anyway.
    No problem. And I did hissy.

    Your post actually implied more than it said. Right?? I mean, how could I answer it? "No, it's perfectly fine if Republicans are insider trading. They deserve every penny they can steal."
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #16
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Pelosi fires back at '60 Minutes' report on 'soft corruption'

    Maggie, I think you let Temporal off too easy. I started out this thread by saying:

    "...anyone caught using their office to inside trade should end up behind bars regardless of the letter following their name."

    And you clearly stated

    "Any"

    And then we got this from Temproal

    ^ Just curious if either of you feel the same about Republican congress people who own stock, or is it just your Democrat enemies?
    Now, Temp wants to walk that back a bit without accepting that ^ this quote was intentional in it clear refusal to take what we opened with and make it partisan.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Pelosi fires back at '60 Minutes' report on 'soft corruption'

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac, in THIS thread
    But it does give me a special warmth to see that Queen Pelosi is being exposed as the crook, liar she is.
    Sorry if I don't find your opening statement very genuine. I just wanted clarification that your view is bipartisan and not targetted just at the Democrats, since you seem to admittedly take particular pleasure in hitting one side. If you say you're being bipartisan now, then I will take your word for it.

  8. #18
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Pelosi fires back at '60 Minutes' report on 'soft corruption'

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Sorry if I don't find your opening statement very genuine. I just wanted clarification that your view is bipartisan and not targetted just at the Democrats, since you seem to admittedly take particular pleasure in hitting one side. If you say you're being bipartisan now, then I will take your word for it.
    The report was about Pelosi, but as you saw, and I highlighted that I said any of them. But I am partisan in my view. I don't like liberals much, I think they are trying to destroy my liberty, and my country. And I hold a special disdain for Nancy Pelosi, she is a carpet bagging liar. She was when she lived in Baltimore, and even more disingenuous once entrenched in SF. So do I love when she is in the spotlight for corruption? Hell yeah! Do I think that the others need to be called out as well? Hell Yeah as well.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #19
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,028

    Re: Pelosi fires back at '60 Minutes' report on 'soft corruption'

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    ^ Just curious if either of you feel the same about Republican congress people who own stock, or is it just your Democrat enemies?
    I feel the same regardless of party. Those that take advantage of inside information or offers should not be in public office.. Congress should be ashamed of itself. Pelosi proved to me she is a pathetic elected official by demonizing CEO's, yet look at what she and her husband do.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  10. #20
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Pelosi fires back at '60 Minutes' report on 'soft corruption'

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I don't think so myself...I'm running for office. Corporate insider gives me a sweet tip because there's some pending or key legislation I may be able to impact on his behalf. I buy. Then I reap the rewards when I get elected. It'd just be cleaner if they had to dump their holdings and go into an Index Fund as a condition of holding office. It'll never happen though.
    Maybe they have to sell anything purchased up to 5 years prior to running for office. Just thinking out loud.


    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Selling while in office is potentially just as dishonest as buying, imo.
    I don't disagree with that, and that is exactly why I am on the fence. But, if a stock is tanking on it's own, I don't think it would be fair to require them to take a total loss. I mean, I want assurances and protections, but I don't expect a person to give up virtually every normal aspect of citizenship, either.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •