Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 217

Thread: Police clear out Oakland protest camp

  1. #101
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Police clear out Oakland protest camp

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I respectfully disagree. It's not camping, but protest. Continued protest. So while i don't put OWS in the same category as the vets, who were seriously wronged, a national disgrace, the fact remains, peaceful protest, even when sitting and staing on public land, doesn't bother me much.
    Its not graffiti.... its protest!!!!!!!

    Its not arson.... its protest!!!!!!

    Its not murder..... its protest!!!!!

    Your argument is not sane..... its insane!!!!!
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  2. #102
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Police clear out Oakland protest camp

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Apparently, breaking the law is ok, as long as you're protesting.
    To protest and assemble is a right, and thus the government is restricted in the means and powers it can deploy to interfere with the exercise of that right.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #103
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Police clear out Oakland protest camp

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Not really.
    If you let some people get away with breaking the law, then others may jump on the bandwagon.
    Not a very good image to project.

    They had their chance to camp and protest, they were asked to leave and they should of acted reasonable and left.
    believe it or not, you can be too tied to the letter of a law that you lose perspective. Sometimes it is just better to let it run its course.

    See your acting as if the police were the problem.
    The police don't come into this, until someone breaks the law.

    They shouldn't compromise with people breaking the law, that's not their job.
    Actually, in this section I was complementing the police. There I thought they used proper restraint, good sense and kept the peace. Okland ended quite differently.

    And they didn't compromise. They helped the community and the protesters compromise. Calm heads are often better than angry ones, particularly where young people are involved.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #104
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Police clear out Oakland protest camp

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Its not graffiti.... its protest!!!!!!!

    Its not arson.... its protest!!!!!!

    Its not murder..... its protest!!!!!

    Your argument is not sane..... its insane!!!!!
    I don't think you're following the argument. No one said there is no line. All that is said is that some restraint and reason is . . . well . . . reasonable.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #105
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Police clear out Oakland protest camp

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    To protest and assemble is a right, and thus the government is restricted in the means and powers it can deploy to interfere with the exercise of that right.
    Can you assemble, any where you want, in any manner you please?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #106
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Police clear out Oakland protest camp

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I don't think you're following the argument. No one said there is no line. All that is said is that some restraint and reason is . . . well . . . reasonable.
    Which is what has been used.

    Essentially, cities all over the U.S. have allowed the squatters to squat until the squatters camps started becoming cesspools of criminal activity and filth.

    The occupy group in my town is maybe around 150 people or so, and has not become a cesspool of crime and filth, and thus, has not been closed down.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #107
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Police clear out Oakland protest camp

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Can you assemble, any where you want, in any manner you please?
    Private property is of course up to the property owner to decide. Many forms of public land should be open.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #108
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Police clear out Oakland protest camp

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    believe it or not, you can be too tied to the letter of a law that you lose perspective. Sometimes it is just better to let it run its course.



    Actually, in this section I was complementing the police. There I thought they used proper restraint, good sense and kept the peace. Okland ended quite differently.

    And they didn't compromise. They helped the community and the protesters compromise. Calm heads are often better than angry ones, particularly where young people are involved.
    City of Oakland said, "You can't camp, but you can protest during regular park hours."

    Protesters said, "No."

    Did I miss something?
    Did the city compromise?
    I pretty sure they did here.

    So what did they do wrong?
    Last edited by Harry Guerrilla; 11-15-11 at 05:49 PM.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #109
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Police clear out Oakland protest camp

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Private property is of course up to the property owner to decide. Many forms of public land should be open.
    And what happens when you have 2 or more people wanting to use that same space of public land?
    First come, first serve?

    That would also be the same as silencing the 2nd person's right to assemble, at least from what you've said here
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #110
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Police clear out Oakland protest camp

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Which is what has been used.

    Essentially, cities all over the U.S. have allowed the squatters to squat until the squatters camps started becoming cesspools of criminal activity and filth.

    The occupy group in my town is maybe around 150 people or so, and has not become a cesspool of crime and filth, and thus, has not been closed down.
    I'm not sure that's entirely true. I gave an example of a reasonable police force getting better results. Now, things are never likely to be perfect, especially the more people you get in any one area, but I prefer reasonable acts over unreasonable acts. Some restraint over reacting without thinking it through.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •